Desperate Addicts Parade: Have You Ever...

garden joe

04 Aug 2011, 18:47 #271

Have you ever spent hours at work reading a huge list of horribly anti-social behaviors and realize that the only ones you haven't done are the ones you never had the opportunity to do?  I have.

For me the answers to this post go something like this;
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
No, but only because I don't have a child.
Yes.
Yes.
ect.....

Scary, but thanks to all for letting me know that I'm not the only one.  It helps.

Have you spent an hour in hospice playing guitar to help fill the silence while your best friends sat waiting for their emmaciated (3 pack a day) father to die of lung cancer, then excused yourself because you couldn't wait any longer for a fix?  I have.  And I kept smoking for years after.

Joe - Free and Healing for Twenty Seven Days, 22 Hours and 45 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 2 Days and 21 Hours, by avoiding the use of 838 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $336.18.

alan

04 Oct 2011, 17:39 #272

Have you ever reached over the edge of a 500 foot high cliff in the smoky mountains to grab the pack of cigarettes you dropped that rolled off the edge and got caught on a protruding branch?  I have because I'm an addict. 

Alan - Free and Healing for Three Months, 13 Hours and 38 Minutes

dtrain

11 Oct 2011, 19:45 #273

Have you ever kept an old shirt and an old jacket in your car to slip into so that when you drove and smoked, the smell would not get on your clean shirt.  The only reason you would do this is because not only were you an addict, but you didn't want anyone to know you were an addict. 

Did you ever have have one gas station in which you bought gas, soda, etc but another gas station that you bought only cigarettes at because you didn't want the people at 1 station to know you smoked.

I used to do stuff like this alot.  I was a closet addict.  Now I am just an addict.  I've been free of nicotene for 14days.

Dtrain

KarRus

12 Oct 2011, 10:49 #274

Have you every put on a long wool coat, gloves, hat and scarf went outside in 5 degress with a 30 mph wind chill factor? And stood there shivering so you could smoke a cigarette?  I have many times because I'm an addict.

Karen

Free for 10 days.....

QuitterInReno

18 Oct 2011, 02:31 #275

Oh wow -- this same thread with different postings exists under the Celebrations sub-forum.  So I'm copying mine here:

Have you ever been at work and found partially smoked cigarettes in an ashtray with lipstick stains on them and smoked them?  And you don't wear lipstick?  I have, I'm an addict.

Have you ever worked for the American Cancer Society, but would go on little breaks and walk around the block so no one would see you smoking?  I have, I'm an addict.

Have you ever decided you would quit smoking on your vacation and left without your smokes, then cut the vacation short and came back the next day because you needed a cigarette?  I have, I'm an addict.

Have you ever had a brand new car with that great new car smell, that had never been smoked in; then you started smoking and you'd use plastic coke bottles half filled with water as an ashtray and smoke in the car with the windows rolled down (and it was 35 degrees outside)... then you'd have this disgusting thing filled with butts and your nice new car stank anyway?  I have, I'm an addict.

Have you ever smoked in your car, and the lit end of the cigarette fell into the car, and you burned your fingers picking it up to throw it outside before it burned a hole in the seat?  I have, I'm an addict.

Have you ever had a cigarette on the front porch late at night, put the cigarette out in a planter box... and the next morning go outside to find that the wooden planter box has been smoking and smoldering all night and half of the planter slats are now coals, and you were that close to BURNING DOWN YOUR HOUSE?

Have you ever been released from the hospital after surgery which left you with just 1/2 of ONE lung still functioning, and told the cab driver taking you home that if he didn't give you a smoke, you'd get another cab?  My grandfather did, he was an addict.

Wow... this is really awful!

Jennifer - One Month, Four Days

Dave W

22 May 2012, 14:14 #276

Have you ever pretended to walk the dog to have a cig then douse yourself in cologne,  with the insane thought that your wife wouldnt know you had started smoking again ( or smell it on you) after a quit attempt.
I have because I was an addict!!!

As of today I am 14 days free, havent smoked 282 cigs, saving $81.00 and reclaiming 1 day, 4 hours and 12 minutes

Not taking another puff

Dave

Mardan59

02 Apr 2014, 19:31 #277

Have you ever put a cigarette in your mouth, lit it, then realized you already had a lit cigarette in your other hand?....I have, more times than I care to remember, because I am an addict.

Mary
Free for 1 year, two months and two days!

KayS

08 Apr 2014, 14:36 #278

Have you ever sat on a bench in the street outside your house late at night, ripped up your last cigarettes and thrown them under the bench, then in the morning raced outside in the pouring rain ( in your dressing gown) and rescued them, praying to any God that one of them might be dry.  Or, have you ever, having sworn before you went to bed that you were never going to smoke again, crept downstairs in the middle of the night and searched the house for your landlady's cigarette packet and stolen one, as well as pinching all the butts from the ashtray at the same time.  Or have you trawled late night coffee bars - any downbeat place will do - because you can't smoke at home the way you want to.  I have, because I am an addict.

Kay, free since 24 Feb 13
Last edited by KayS on 08 Apr 2014, 14:38, edited 1 time in total.

JohnPolito

29 Apr 2014, 11:44 #279

Today we are featuring OBob's 2002 Despirate Addicts Parade on WhyQuit's Facebook page.    If a visitor wishing to share your own response, we invite you to share it there: 

https://www.facebook.com/Why.Quit.Now/p ... 6259699958

Millions of words at WhyQuit's sites but only one guiding principle determining the outcome for all ... no nicotine just one hour, challenge and day at a time!  Just that first brave step in saying "no" to the wanting for that next fix, yes you can!!

Breathe deep, hug hard, live long,

John - Gold x14  

Mommiana

04 Jun 2014, 15:25 #280

Have you ever....
Went into labor with contractions 2 minutes apart and stood outside of the hospital "tanking up" on 3-4 cigarettes in a row before going in to deliver? 

Have you ever...
Felt relief when the nurses came to get your 14 hours old newborn baby girl for an assessment so you could sneak away and hobble downstairs in severe pain for a cigarette, all the while holding your cesarean staples praying they wouldn't pop open? And, praying the nurses wouldn't catch you, and praying your never-smoker husband wouldn't pick that time for a visit?

Have you ever...
Breasfed your babies while actively taking in nicotine?

~ Christy

I have been quit for 1 Month, 1 Week, 5 Days, 2 hours, 1 minute and 5 seconds (43 days). I have saved $227.48 by not smoking 861 cigarettes. I have saved 2 Days, 23 hours and 45 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 4/22/2014 9:24 AM

Last edited by Mommiana on 04 Jun 2014, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.