Desperate Addicts Parade: Have You Ever...

Puffanomore

09 Dec 2010, 23:08 #261

Thanks Ben for bringing this up again - it's ages since I first found this, then lost its whereabouts.
I think it would do me good to wallow in some of the despicable things that my nicotine addiction made me do. So here goes:-

The first 2 quits ended when I had family members who smoked staying in my house. I thought I was secure enough at that time so I allowed smoking in the house but didn't realise that when they left packets of cigs around I would turn into a sneak thief! I started waiting until they had gone to bed and then helping myself. I would only take one cig. if there were plenty left in the packet so it wouldn't be missed. I would have a few crafty puffs during the day but save most of the cig for last thing when I would take my dogs for a walk in the woods. The first deep drag made me so giddy I actually fell down! did that stop me? **** no! I just couldn't wait until the next day to steal another.

My 3rd quit ended when I started stealing cigarette butts from the ashtrays I was cleaning up after my AA meeting! one wealthy lady would only take 2 puffs before stubbing her cigarette out - those butts were like gold! How low can a girl sink?

A lot of my clothes had small burns in them from when hot bits of ash dropped off the end of a cigarette. I remember covering up one such a hole in my favourite jacket with a pretty brooch.

My last canine family was a mother and her 2 pups; she died of old age, having seen both her sons die prematurely of cancer. I will always wonder how much my smoking contributed to that and feel dreadful guilt. My present 2 dogs have lived half their lives with a smoker but I hope their second half will remain un-polluted.

I first decided to quit when by daughter was around 14. I chose that time because that is the age when the youngsters here tend to start smoking and I wanted to set her a good example. I couldn't do what my Mum did and lecture me about not smoking while continuing the habit herself. I survived for nearly 3 years that time but then started again as mentioned above. For many weeks I got away with it but one day I was returning home from the shops in my car, smoking a sneaky cigarette, when I got caught in a traffic jam and saw my daughter, who should have been in school but was out on some errand with a bunch of her class-mates. To my acute embarrassment, she spotted me first and shouted out loudly "Mother - you're smoking again!". OMG should have been the other way round, not teenage daughter ticking off middle-aged mum.

I am not by nature dishonest, or a thief, but my nicotine addiction was stronger by far than my moral sense of right and wrong. Thank God it is all in the past and I can live clean and honest and with integity.

PeppermintPatty

10 Dec 2010, 17:30 #262

Have you ever watched your sister die of cancer from smoking for 4 months and still continue to smoke
Have you ever lied to your dying sister telling her you would quit and still continued to smoke - broken so many promises I can't count
Have you ever lied to your children, your husband, your friends and still continued to smoke
Have you ever made a deal with God - and didn't live up to your end of it
Have you ever been so jealous of someone smoking that you ran to the store, bought your pack and sat in a corner with you smokes getting even
I have - I'm an addict each and every day - NTAP -

symbeeo

05 Jan 2011, 22:09 #263

I have bad teeth. I used to think it was genetics, but I'm pretty sure dousing my mouth with poisonous gas 20 or more time a day didn't help anything.
A few months back I had to have another tooth pulled. I have had many pulled and would get a "dry socket" every time. When I told the dental nurse this - She said, "...that's what you get if you want to smoke during the first three days." Dry sockets HURT, so this time I pinched one nostril shut and stuck the cigarette up the other nostril. Then I could inhale my fix through my nose without loosening the clot in my mouth. This is disgusting and felt disgusting and tasted disgusting.

I thought I was so smart because this was the first time in my life I didn't get a dry socket.

I AM AN ADDICT and I have been quit for 5 Days, 14 hours, 57 minutes and 11 seconds (5 days). I have saved $17.34 by not smoking 73 cigarettes. I have saved 6 hours and 5 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 12/30/2010 11:00 PM

Herman1331

02 Feb 2011, 23:32 #264

Have you ever not had a lighter been running late for work so you lit your cigarette on the stove, then before disposing of your cigarette you grabbed a fresh cigarette and lit the new cigarette with the old one for fear that you wouldn't find a lighter in your car?  I have because I am an addict.

schmaltz

07 Feb 2011, 16:36 #265

and grabbed some butts out of  public ashtray cause you had no money to pay for them at the time , and trying to do it as fast and inconspicuously as you could , so anybody near you wouldn't believe they saw you do  what you just did....

Well I did.

jrock413

24 Feb 2011, 22:06 #266

Did you ever reflect on the times you took cigarette butts out of public ashtrays when you were out of money to buy them, but then in better financial times you would carefully snuff out a partially smoked cigarette in a public ashtray with the expectation that it WOULD get picked out by someone else who MIGHT NEED IT?  

Its the warped sense of charity and giving back that can only be understood by an addict.  I have done/thought this.   

msanders

25 Feb 2011, 15:24 #267

Have you ever left your wife laboring in a hospital bed, within minutes of delivery, so you could run outside for one more cigarette?

I have. I'm an addict.

Have you ever shooed your kids away, just because playing with them or reading to them would not allow you to smoke?

I have. I'm an addict.

NoNic4Neal

25 Feb 2011, 20:29 #268

Wow,
I read a lot of this thread and it brought back memories I would have rather not remembered. I'm guilty of many of the same things. I remember my young daughter reaching up to hold my hand and grabbing my lit cigarette. I remember my Golden Retriever excited to see me and ran up on my blind side and got a lit cigarette right on his eye ball. I had to take.him outside and use snow to cool his eye. I still smoked another cigarette on the way to the vets office. I took butts out of public ashtrays when desperate. I also rolled home made cigarettes out of tobacco I got from butts in the ash tray. I left part of my lips on a few cigs when my lips were chapped, and once I walked thru hurricane force wind, rain, and floods to get to a bar that was still open and could hook up their generator to the cigarette vending machine. Why ? Because I was a helpless nicotine addict, but not for the last one month and 15 days. YQB Neal

gsguru

03 Mar 2011, 23:43 #269

Great bump of this thread...

Have you ever:
Asked your daughter for a cigarette, standing in the patient pick up lane, after spending 5 days in the ICU for having a heart attack (at 47) with my daughter by my side the entire time and couldn't look her in the eye because I was killing myself... humbled and embarassed.

Free for 1 month!! woohoo....

JohnPolito

04 Mar 2011, 13:24 #270

Man pleads guilty to burglary,
blames  break-in on need for nicotine
March 3, 2011 - WinonaDailyNews.com

ImageA La Crescent, Minn., man in need of a nicotine fix in July pleaded guilty Wednesday morning to third-degree burglary.

Ura Miller, 32, admitted he used a screwdriver July 27 to break into another resident's room at Mosher Veterans Home in Dakota, Minn., while he searched for cigarettes.

"I knew where some were hidden," he said.

He admitted he did not have permission to enter the resident's room.

A report issued by investigators at the Winona County Sheriff's Office shows Miller broke into a resident's room by removing the door from the hinges.

Miller was placed on probation. He will remain in the Winona County Jail until he is transferred to an adult foster-care facility in Plainview, Minn.

Two other counts of burglary were dismissed Wednesday as part of the plea agreement.

Miller will be sentenced April 7 before Judge Mary Leahy.
Copyright 2011 winonadailynews.com. All rights reserved

Story Source Link