Desperate Addicts Parade: Have You Ever...

SweetLorraine (Gold)
SweetLorraine (Gold)

September 22nd, 2002, 10:23 pm #11

Have you ever...left a lovely family gathering in the middle of a cold and stormy evening to go outside and sneak a cigarette? I have, because I am an addict.

So nice to be free.

yqf

Lorraine

Celebrating Eleven months, one week, four days, 10 hours, 48 minutes and 52 seconds. 5889 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,914.14. Life saved: 2 weeks, 6 days, 10 hours, 45 minutes! The most important of those numbers being today! Today I have a family dinner to cook and enjoy and not have to sneak out to have a puff!

clactwicegold
clactwicegold

September 22nd, 2002, 10:41 pm #12

(Lorraine, so cold my teeth would chatter!)
OBob, thanks for this. What a healthy exercise...

Have you ever cried because you couldn't have one?
Have you ever climbed on to a roof to have a secret one?
Have you ever written someone a letter just so that you could go out and post it and sneak in a quick one?
I have. I'm an addict.
Clac xxx
(happily safe indoors for 4 months, 2 weeks, 5 days, 23 hours, 43 minutes, and 37 seconds tick tick tick..)

buffey
buffey

September 22nd, 2002, 11:07 pm #13

Have you ever, buried your pack of cigarettes under a bridge, 5 miles away from home, then rode your bike there, and dug them up, and smoked one....EVERYDAY for a week? I have, I am an addict.

Here's another one, and this is disgusting:

Have you ever taken long cigarette butts out of ashtrays at the mall and smoked them? Other peoples butts!! I have, I am definately an addict.

Thanks for the images, OBOB. Thinking how wonderful it is to be free right now!!
Buffey
Choosing Life Today, adding up to Two weeks, three days, 32 minutes and 17 seconds. 510 cigarettes not smoked, saving $89.37. Life saved: 1 day, 18 hours, 30 minutes.

Roma Bronze
Roma Bronze

September 22nd, 2002, 11:41 pm #14

Have you ever accused your husband of "stealing" your cigs. Only after ranting and raving and blaming do you find that you have put them in the refridgerator? I have. I'm an addict.

I have some others, but too ashamed to say them right now.

~Roma Two months, two weeks, two days, 9 hours, 39 minutes and 55 seconds. 1568 cigarettes not smoked, saving $352.81. Life saved: 5 days, 10 hours, 40 minutes.

Eileen D (GOLD)
Eileen D (GOLD)

September 23rd, 2002, 12:24 am #15

Have you ever smoked OLD OLD butts from the car ash tray that you never seem to empty? I have

Four months, three weeks, 7 hours, 52 minutes and 26 seconds. 4329 cigarettes not smoked, saving $649.48. Life saved: 2 weeks, 1 day, 45 minutes.

Gormo Gold
Gormo Gold

September 23rd, 2002, 1:44 am #16

Good Afternoon, Freedom! Have I ever? Have I ever!

Have you ever...

Decided to quit smoking and thrown your pack of cigarettes into the trash, only to fish them out later and pour water into the pack to make sure you couldn't smoke them. And then wonder how long it would take to use a hair dryer to dry one out. Which then made you fish them out again and tear them in half, just to be sure they were unsmokable.

Followed by driving to a different store for cigarettes an hour later, so that the clerk at the first store wouldn't think you had smoked 20 cigarettes in the 4 hours since you bought today's 1st pack from him.

I have. On more than one occasion.

I used to think I was insane. Now I know better.

I am a nicotine addict.

Gormo One week, 17 hours, 11 minutes and 36 seconds. 308 cigarettes not smoked, saving $57.87. Life saved: 1 day, 1 hour, 40 minutes.
Last edited by Gormo Gold on April 19th, 2009, 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

txsmamaGOLD
txsmamaGOLD

September 23rd, 2002, 6:19 am #17

Have you ever went through an old, smelly coffee can full of nasty, disgusting cigarette butts, or a car ashtray, rifling through, hoping to find any salvageable puff or two? I have, I'M AN ADDICT!

Have you ever ripped the remaining butt apart, rolled it up to try to get some nicotine out of it? I have, I'M AN ADDICT!!

Thanks Bob, you are soooo right!! I know we are no different than heroin addicts or any other addict, we would do whatever it took to get our fix. Very enlightening, Bob!

YQS,
De
Two months, one week, six days, 17 hours, 21 minutes and 32 seconds. 2271 cigarettes not smoked, saving $340.75. Life saved: 1 week, 21 hours, 15 minutes.

BillW Gold.ffn
BillW Gold.ffn

September 23rd, 2002, 6:59 am #18

not so much disgusting, as decietful......
Have you ever "staged" a week-long or so quit....
knowing it would fail....
planning for it to fail....
so that you wouldn't get nagged about quitting
for a year or so....,
and to proove to yourself again
that quitting was impossible?????
I have...I'm an addict. (Then in the middle of my last "staged" quit, something happened....I found Freedom!)
BillW in the middle of a "staged" quit thats now lasted Seven months, two weeks, . 6792 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,341.26. Life saved: 3 weeks, 2 days, 14 hours, 0 minutes.

Glenys Goldx3
Glenys Goldx3

September 23rd, 2002, 8:10 am #19

Have you ever.....

prepared to feed your very young baby. Got the bottle ready, made the cup of coffee, got the cigarettes/lighter/ashtray all nearby. Light the cigarette first (because it's hard to do once you start feeding the baby), place it in the astray, start to feed.
All of a sudden, baby starts to scream. After placing cigarette (safely) in astray, investigate the cause of the screaming, only to find that hot ash from the cigarette had dropped into the baby's ear!!!!!

I have.....because I am an addict!!

That baby is now a grown man, but do I remember the guilt of that one. That son of mine has watched me try to quit smoking many times over the years but even he believes it now - that this time is forever! When he presents me with my first grandchild and I have the privilege of holding that baby, it will never have to suffer the fate that its father did.

What kind of person places getting a "fix" ahead of enjoying the magic of being close to your precious child? An addict, that's who.

Cheers, thanks for the guilt trip down memory lane Bob,
Glenys
Gold Club
I have chosen not to smoke for 1 Year 4 Months 4 Weeks 1 Day 14 Hours 43 Minutes 30 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 10332. Money saved: A$3,022.19.

Roma Bronze
Roma Bronze

September 23rd, 2002, 11:34 am #20

Okies, here's my most shameful one. I ran out of cancer sticks. My 1yoa (at the time) was sleeping in her crib. I actually left her alone and went to go get cigs. YIKES! I am truly an addict.

On a side note, my previous post should have read "hiding" versus "stealing" since my hubby does not smoke.

Thanks OBob for the parade.

~So grateful to not have smoked today! Roma Two months, two weeks, two days, 21 hours, 32 minutes and 56 seconds. 1577 cigarettes not smoked, saving $355.04. Life saved: 5 days, 11 hours, 25 minutes.

IrinaGold2
IrinaGold2

September 23rd, 2002, 5:13 pm #21

Oh, these posts ring so many bells ..... OK, here are my two (euro)cents:
Have you ever made yourself literally sick in the morning because you chainsmoked 3 or 4 cigarettes right after you got out of bed? Well, I have, several times, because I am an addict.
As a student on a tight budget, did you spend more than a third of your income on cigarettes? Have you ever actually spend the last money in your pocket on cigarettes rather than on a sandwich? I have, because I am an addict.
Have you ever, during previous attempts to quit, picked up a fight with those closest to you so that you can have an excuse for relapsing within the first day? I definitely have.
And I also have, in true addict style, searched many times for smokable butts in ashtrays and in the garbage bin.
But I have not had to do any of this over the last month and a bit
Irina
4 weeks 6 days 6 hours +++
857 cigarettes not smoked
Last edited by IrinaGold2 on April 19th, 2009, 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

El Bob Gold
El Bob Gold

September 23rd, 2002, 5:55 pm #22

Have you ever....?

Well, I've crushed and dumped my packet into the bin at the University that I've worked at, on the way to my office in the morning. Then scrambled my way through the associated rubbish on top of it (squeezing my hand through the slot on the side of the bin) on the way home to get that crushed pack, all the time being passed by students as they head to the nearby train station. That was a fairly shameful experience.

And...a common one for all of us, I've said 'Yes, yes, yes!' to a brand I would normally find totally disgusting to smoke (like Camels) when nothing else has been on offer. That shows the true lack of a discerning nature of any smoker.

Good parade!

El Bob
1 week, 6 days, 15 hours. 272 not smoked.

OBob Gold
OBob Gold

September 24th, 2002, 2:50 am #23

I'm actually surpised at how many of these I'm answering yes to.
Have you ever had a really bad chest cold, gotten in the car to go somewhere, started to smoke, and made yourself cough so badly you puked on yourself and your good shirt, and waited to go back into the house long enough to finish the cigarette? I have. I'm an addict.
I think this is a good thread for a link to this one too: Cigarette Martyrs
Bob (8m2w4d)
Last edited by OBob Gold on April 19th, 2009, 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Changingmyname(SILVER )
Changingmyname(SILVER )

September 24th, 2002, 4:20 am #24

Oh my golly, what a humbling and brilliant thread. It sure makes me grateful to be free!

Have you ever had four wisdom teeth pulled, and as soon as you got out of the office, made your boyfriend hold your frozen bloody lips together while you took a drag of a cigarette, almost choking on the blood? I have and it's fresh in my mind, since I just got back from the dentist with a frozen mouth. I'm an addict.

Have you ever taken a flight and had to put on a nicotine patch just to make it through, even though they make you violently ill? I have, I am an addict.

Theresa, 4 weeks 2 days

AmyK
AmyK

September 24th, 2002, 5:31 am #25

Have you ever resented your infant son because you only had $2 left in the world and knew you had to spend it on milk for his bottle rather than the cigarettes you were so desperate for? I have. I'm an addict.

(This is back when you could get a pack for $2! Or a gallon of milk, for that matter...)

Amy

Breaking the Chains for 2 Weeks and 2 Days...

OBob Gold
OBob Gold

November 17th, 2002, 6:44 pm #26

Have you ever used tweesers to hold the 3/4 inch-long end of a cigarette that had been broken in half (no filter), and smoked it like a joint until it actually burned your lips, and then, had one last puff for good measure, even though it burnt, and made your eyes water?

I have. I am an addict.

Bob (45+ weeks)

Kita (Green)
Kita (Green)

November 17th, 2002, 6:56 pm #27

Did you ever wake your sleeping child to strap them into the car seat so you could run into the convenience store to buy a pack? I have. I'm an addict.

Did you ever tackle your husband or wife when they walked in the door, not because you were happy to see them, but because they had said they'd pick up a pack for you? I have. I'm an addict.

Did you ever treasure your pack like it was made of gold? I have. I'm an addict.

But never ever again. :)

AMD33 (gold)
AMD33 (gold)

November 18th, 2002, 1:34 am #28

Fantastic parade!!! Thanks OBob, for the parade and for sharing your experiences!

Have you ever quit smoking and broken your cigarettes in two so you wouldn't smoke them? The later, dug through the coffee grounds and other garbage on top to look for one you didn't break? And when you couldn't find an unbroken one, scotched-taped one of the broken ones together and smoked it -- adding all those yummy burning scotch tape chemicals to the ones you were already smoking? I have. I really am an addict.

But I haven't in quite some time now :)
AMD33 aka Jessica, celebrating freedom for eleven months, three weeks, five days, 20 hours, 2 minutes and 57 seconds. 3608 cigarettes not smoked, saving $947.08. Life saved: 1 week, 5 days, 12 hours, 40 minutes.

ZAREFAH
ZAREFAH

November 18th, 2002, 8:01 pm #29

Have you ever had a smoking dream? One where you really believed that you were smoking? And you're only going to smoke just one? But you suddenly panic because you realize that you can't smoke just one! You tell yourself it will be okay but you immediately to start to feel the crave and you light up another. And inside you feel that horrible sinking feeling because you know you are no longer free? And you really believe you blew it until you opened your eyes and realized you were sound asleep?
I did...just last night...because I am a nicotine addict.
Big hugs, Joy
Two years, five months, two weeks, 10 hours, 0 minutes and 57 seconds. 17948 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,871.87. Life saved: 8 weeks, 6 days, 7 hours, 40 minutes.

MissQ Gold
MissQ Gold

November 18th, 2002, 10:58 pm #30

This makes me feel awful and maybe writing about it will help. Back in September I thought my son had the stomach flu and he was really sick for the whole day. That night I got worried about him and called his doctor who told me I should take him to the ER to get some fluids in him so he wouldn't dehydrate. Well instead of rushing him to the hospital I went out and smoked a cig (you know how long they make you wait in ER's). Anyway, it turned out to be a appendicitis. He is fine now but I can't believe I did that. What an addict.

I have others but believe this was the worst.

Suzi

Time passed 6 weeks, 1 day, 1 hour, 28 minutes, 11 seconds

freefromit GOLD
freefromit GOLD

November 19th, 2002, 1:25 am #31

Very good topic for a parade OBob...
Have you ever searched parking lots and the street gutters for butts long enough to grab a couple of hits off of? Or the ashtrays outside of public buildings? Have you seen those butts as a potential fix rather than the nasty disgusting trash that they are?
I have, beause I'm an addict. (oh, and the shame when you realize that someone is watching pick a butt off of the ground, and you do it anyway...because you're an addict...
Marie
2 months 3 days

OBob Gold
OBob Gold

December 20th, 2002, 3:59 am #32

The junky inside lives in that realm between waking and sleeping. Had a viscious smoking dream the other night, and, half-asleep, lay there in bed considering my fate, unclear if I'd relapsed or not, should I just get up and go to the store..... Eventually, I woke up completely, and realized it was a load of bunk, and I had no desire to even get near a cigarette, and that not smoking totally rules! .... still, it's scary when you realize how close the junky is and always will be....

one dream away from a whisper.... one puff away from resurrection.

... a liberated addict,

Bob (11 1/2 months free)

AuntBea (Silver)
AuntBea (Silver)

December 20th, 2002, 4:53 am #33

Have you ever been suffering from pneumonia and hid around the side of the house taking little, tiny, short puffs to get the poison in without hacking your lungs out?
I have. I'm an addict.
Have you ever bought the cigarettes first, and used whatever was left over for gas money?
I have. I'm an addict.

IrishLotus GOLD
IrishLotus GOLD

December 20th, 2002, 6:03 am #34

Ooooo....I just love this junkie ole thread...

Have you ever seen a pack of cigarettes that was wet with beer and left for ruined on a bar and then sheepishly waited for the bartender to turn around so that you could sneak a few out to smoke cause you were low on cash... I have, because I am an addict.

YQS-
Lotus
I have chosen not to smoke for 2 Months 3 Weeks 4 Days 15 Hours 1 Minute 49 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 2598. Money saved: $649.70.

Pssttt.....looks like OBob is just a "whisper" away from gold

So gold
So gold

December 20th, 2002, 6:08 am #35

Have you ever taken a one day journey to another country (Norway->Sweden) just to fill your car up with duty-free half priced cigarettes and smuggled them back across the border?
I have. Because I'm an addict. (In recovery :)

Sten
8 weeks +