Days I just wanted to Die

Madge Gold

28 Oct 2003, 21:11 #31

..Hi Melissa,

It's been quite a while since I've been on the board and your post really hit home. You expressed the frustration of recovering from our addiction so perfectly. Thanks, I really needed itImage.
Congratulations on reaching Gold. Good luck in your nicotene free life.

Your quit sis
Madge

Vito Silver

28 Oct 2003, 22:57 #32

Hi Melissa, I just want to thank you for this wonderful post, and for putting in words feelings that many of us have had and not know how to describe. Congratulations on your great accomplishment, you are an example that this is doable and it gets better and better!

Vito - Free and Healing for One Month, Twenty Seven Days, 10 Hours and 44 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 4 Days and 23 Hours, by avoiding the use of 1436 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $172.75.

mctomandlynn

29 Oct 2003, 10:43 #33

Melissa,
I just read your post today (a few months later HA!!). All I can say is WOW!!!!! did it hit home. I have tried quitting several times and could relate to EVERYTHING you said. On one quit a few years ago imagined myself attacking a man walking down the street with a cig. (I wanted one that bad.) Unfortunately that was not a successful quit. Today I join green. It has been easy, but it has been done. I feel much stronger after reading your post and getting reassurance that it does get better. Lynn

CandidCandiSilver

29 Oct 2003, 22:22 #34

Melissa ~ thanks for "kicking up" that July post for all of us who are new to the site and still in early "Smobriety". Wow, I could really relate to feelings you were having early on in your quit. Congratulations on turning GOLD and for letting us know that life does go on!!

God Bless,

Candi - Free and Healing for Six Days, 10 Hours and 41 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 10 Hours, by avoiding the use of 129 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $16.76.

Joel

29 Oct 2003, 22:43 #35

Are there times in the early days of a quit where a person feels like they want to die? As Melissa's post here shows some people do. Luckily, this is usually a short term period for those who experience it and they often go on to have extra years and decades where they can look back at such a time period and now recognize that quitting as one of the greatest gifts that they have ever given themselves. They have time to reconsider their options and cherish the fact that they quit smoking.

Are there times when smokers feel that they just want to die? Yes there are. Those in the end stages of smoking induced illnesses often see death as the only way to stop the pain and suffering now. Sadly, many of these people are right, that death is the only way out. Also sad for all of those around them, many of these people get their wish and never get the chance to reconsider their options.

To keep your options to stay smoke free alive, and you along with them always remember why you are committed to never take another puff!

Joel

Related readings:

"Quitting Smoking: A fate worse than death"

I smoke because I'm self-destructive

Melissa777 Gold

30 Oct 2003, 02:22 #36

Hey everybody,

I just wanted to say that I am in total agreement with what Joel has said here. I was trying to convey that if in deed you have ever felt or feel now the same way I did, that it doesn't last.
My worst days trying to hold on to this quit were good days compared to how I felt while I was smoking and my life was ebbing away daily.

I guess I was a bit more verbose in my attempts to convey that the bad feelings will not last.
My hope was to convey that as bad as it feels... it doesn't last and will get better and to hang in there.
Joel just got right to the point :-)
If this post blessed anyone it was worth the effort it took to write it.

Everything I went through was worth it, cause it got me to where I am now.
I love each and every reply to this post.
Feeling as though I may have helped anybody is wonderful because I so want to give back some of what I was given.

Melissa has a year of freedom and a lifetime to be thankful for it :-)

Liuchka

30 Oct 2003, 03:04 #37

Hi Melissa. Congratulations on Gold.
You can count me as a person you have helped! Although I do not feel as bad as you describe at the beginning, I used to feel that way. You even made me laugh because I could see myself crying too (not in the bathroom, but in the car, at work, at the shopping, inside my closet!, at the kitchen) I also hated my husband for enjoying coffee in the mornings. And lots of other connections with your writing. I can almost change minor things and that would be my life three weeks ago. Thanks for sharing that this gets better...God bless you.
CucaImage
Free and Healing for One Month, Ten Days, 13 Hours and 1 Minute, while extending my life expectancy 4 Days and 5 Hours, by avoiding the use of 1216 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $228.43.

Hooked On Hammies

09 May 2004, 02:27 #38

Are there times in the early days of a quit where a person feels like they want to die?
In my case, not really. I wanted to post this so that newbies or lurkers peeking in could see that it isn't always that bad.
Don't get me wrong, I have had (and probably will in the future) my share of bad days, but honestly my quit was never as bad as Melissas was in the beginning. Every quit really is different.
There's been times I wanted to strangle other people for what I perceived as making my quit more difficult then it needed to be, lol..but that's about it. From the very beginning through Glory week, I held tight to what the others said, even though I wasn't sure at times that I could do it. But I held to it, because I knew it was ALL I had to hold on to.
But gradually after that I realized more and more that all the information posted here was dead-on and most importantly, it was working for me. Good enough.
I hope I don't sound smug for saying that this quit has been a relatively easy one. It just HAS and that's the truth. I realize everyones quit is different, but I think a lot of that has to do with your mindset and how much you resist the healing, maybe (Believe me, I've had past quits that were sheer misery and I'm positive it was because I was uneducated) I'm simply going (again) on a lot of what I've read here. And I just wanted anybody peeking in to know that sometimes quitting IS easy.
The healing really can be awesome.
Hammie (Green Club)
I have been quit for 1 Month, 1 Week, 1 Day
Last edited by Hooked On Hammies on 16 Apr 2009, 06:29, edited 1 time in total.

FearNothingDK GOLD

09 May 2004, 06:17 #39

Ok ... so I am sitting here with both a smile and tears in my eyes because of Melissa's post. Talk about feeling emotional!!!! But the thing is, now I LIKE feeling emotional - emotional and not turning to a pack of cigarettes to dull the emotional feelings!!!! Just feeling it!!!!!

I had read this in the early days of my quit (ok so I'm only 2 months +) but I had read it in MY beginning and I didn't get emotional. Zip - nothing.

But NOW ..... I AM emotional and I have something to say about it.

No, I can honeslty say I did not want to die during the first week or 2 weeks of my quit.

But I did say to myself many times while I was depressed, or upset and smoking that the chain smoking and dying because of it was OK. Now I can't believe I told myself that!

I wanted to die and sometimes wished I could die ... and I said this while smoking (and drinking - because for me the 2 went hand in hand quite often).

When you first start experiencing the emotions it feels like it's almost too much to handle! I mean it's been many years since you actually allowed yourself to feel the emotions of everyday life. When you start using nicotine as a damper or to excelerate your good emotions you don't even really realize how much you are depriving yourself of.

Ok, maybe I'm rambling on and not making sense, but today I bought 10 pine trees (would have been 2 packs of smokes!) Ok I have a big yard, but I don't think I have the need for 10 pine trees!!!! LOL!!! It was on a whim!

But when I handed the little boy selling the baby pine trees $20.00 (Canadian) and asked for only 10 trees (sign said min. 50 cents per tree), just the expression on the boy's face and his excitement made me feel SO good. Image

While I was smoking, I would have left the grocery store and just about ran past him, nearly knocking him over, being annoyed for him trying to hold me up when I NEEEDED to get home so I could light a cigarette!!!!

I just want to say that after only 2 months I am stopping to smell the roses, and am constantly in awe of my feelings - good and bad - and the bad feelings disappear SO MUCH FASTER now that I am not turning to nicotine. I am truly FEELING life and dealing with all my wonderful emotions, and it chokes me up and brings happy and sad tears to my eyes often ...

And I am LOVING IT!!!!!! ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

It's ALL SO MUCH BETTER NICOTINE FREE! Try it and you will discover for yourself!

Sandy - Free and Healing for Two Months, Nine Days, 16 Hours and 10 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 2 Days and 22 Hours, by avoiding the use of 848 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $340.22.

FearNothingDK GOLD

09 May 2004, 07:02 #40

Wait wait ...

I'm not done!

For all you newbies .....

I never shared this ... but for me around third week I was really kind of disappointed about the fact that I didn't want to listen to music. I like rock, and while driving to work I'd turn it on but after a bit I couldn't listen to it. I had to turn it off and have silence while driving to work. I needed quiet. I was afraid I really wasn't a rock fan for real!!! That was one of the things that scared me! I love music! Rock! BUT .......... (for anyone in the beginnings wondering ...)

It was all part of the process that I can't explain but now after 2 month's I am back to cranking the tunes (Puddle of Mudd - COME CLEAN! (ironic eh?) right now as I enjoy the every day tasks around the yard and house.

Gotta get back to work. Congratulations to all you newbies and come join us all you lurkers and all those ahead of me - way to go!!!! Keep coming back to let me know you are still thrilled about quitting your addiction to nicotine! WHOOOOOO HOOOOOO LIFE IS GREAT!!!!!

Sandy - Free and Healing for Two Months, Nine Days and 17 Hours, while extending my life expectancy 2 Days and 22 Hours, by avoiding the use of 849 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $340.39.