Crutches to Quit Smoking

ccathy247

09 Jan 2010, 17:11 #61

Hi,

I was looking for something else and came upon your post/question.

First off, I am still nicotine free.
Yeah me! Yeah us!

I am not gaining anymore weight.
Still need to lose!! LOL
I recognized the folly of the beer substitution and put a stop to that.

I used to drink alot of tea but when I quit nicotine, my tea drinking almost went away.
My body didn't need the large amounts to meet my caffeine requirements.
Nicotine had been neutralizing most of the caffeine in my bloodstream.

Knowing that nicotine releases stored fat we are told to eat the same amount of calories but more often and in smaller amounts. So one day I said I used to receive a small amount of calories from the sugar in the tea I drank all day so I will try to return to my tea drinking. I think part of my added eating was me misreading my need for more water.

I really believe that nicotine messes up our ability to read the natural needs of our bodies. There is a post on this topic.
So I guess I am still re-learning my body. A big one for me was hydrating my body.
I do know that my body is much happier and relaxed being nicotine free.

I also feel I am making some better life choices as well. Probably a part of that improved self-esteem thing that so many oldbies talk about.

Yikes......when they used to say smoking will stunt your growth, who knew that went beyond the physical.

Arresting their nicotine addiction has been the beginning of some really big life influencing events for some people. Improved self-esteem
ie. returning to school, becoming physically active, relationship and career changes.

For sure, nobody regrets arresting their nicotine addiction.

So in closing, now I drink coffee every day, sometimes more than once(weekends).
No other substitutions that I am aware of.

Sometimes I think about self-soothing LOL, with a large bottle of diet pop, chips, etc but I recognize it for what it is and just let the thought keep on going.
I don't latch onto the thought.
Again, there is a post dealing with this as well.
The post is about thoughts of nicotine but the premise applies to any addictive type of thinking.
The intelligent quitter's strategy combines an understanding of the Law of Addiction
with well-protected core motivations.

Nobody ever graduates from Addiction

Cathy, Gold

[Quit April 10, 2009]

FreedomNicotine

12 Jun 2010, 12:38 #62

Recovery is about taking back life, one nicotine use cue and slice at a time.Image  Some web sites teach that you need to change your entire life, including avoiding certain activities and engaging in new ones.   Such advice risks leaving quitters with altered lifestyles in which their recovery is so aligned with the recommended changes that any deviation from them brings with it increased risk of relapse.  Why lean heavily upon anything other than who we are?   If you want to engage in new activities after quitting, fantastic!  But take care never to allow any activity to become a substitute for smoking,  as its sudden removal could cost you your freedom, healing and possibly your life!

Breathe deep, hug hard, live long,

John (Gold x11) 

Joel Spitzer

27 Nov 2011, 16:56 #63

Joel Spitzer

23 Nov 2013, 15:03 #64

With WhyQuit being temporarily down during our site migration, these from above seem worth noting:

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]"...you also should have some computer independent ammunition ready in those time where computer access becomes limited too."[/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]
[/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]and[/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]
[/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]"[/font][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]There is a danger of using anything as a crutch, even Freedom itself. For if you ever experience tough times during times when we are experiencing technical difficulties, either reading or posting at Freedom may not be possible, you can start to feel that your quit will not stick since you don't have us as a crutch.[/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]We need to be seen as a tool, a source of information of how to quit and how to stay off even more than a source of support. In the technological world a particular website may not always be going 24 hours a day 365 days a year without interruption, or your computer capabilities may not be able to get here at some points in time.

If you have learned our lessons, keep reinforcing your own primary reasons for first wanting to quit, keep reminding yourself why you still don't want to go back and keep our one simple message in your mind at all times, even if you can't read it at the board at the moment, just remembering it will insure that you will do fine. The message is that no matter what seems to go wrong in life that to stay free during it only requires keeping in practice your commitment to never take another puff!"

Just want to add a note here, that there are times like today when WhyQuit.com may be down for technical reasons. When this occurs, try using the backup site www.whyquit.org.

[/font]

Joel Spitzer

26 Feb 2014, 19:24 #65

New video touching on this concept: Carrying mock cigarettes