CRAVINGS and DIFFICULTY

TsRupe
TsRupe

December 17th, 2004, 3:10 am #1

Eight months, two days, 22 hours, 31 minutes and 27 seconds. 9877 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,333.69. Life saved: 4 weeks, 6 days, 7 hours, 5 minutes.

Bobbie416
Bobbie416

December 17th, 2004, 3:34 am #3

Tana, I know others that are more experienced will be along soon with suggestions for you.

But in the meantime I wanted to share this thread with you. Thoughts that seem worse than first few days . I posted a couple of days ago about a strong crave episode that took me by surprise. Someone sent me this thread, and it was EXACTLY what I needed to read.
I don't know why you are having these craves. But I do know that smoking will not help anything. It won't taste wonderful like you imagine either.
Hang in there. Do whatever it takes to get through these craves without smoking. They will pass.
Bobbie
Two months, four weeks, one day

Gold Harleyboy
Gold Harleyboy

December 17th, 2004, 3:34 am #4

Howdy Tana,

Sorry you are having a little trouble right now. I know the feeling. You see, I'm an addict too.

We like to think that we have put enough effort into our "quit". We like to think that the work is done, and that every day after this "Milestone" will be easy, with never a thought of smoking. Too bad it doesn't work that way.

As "educated addits" we know what does work. "Never take another puff!" That works! And we both know that the longer we are "quit" the easier it will be to stay "quit".

You are doing great! 8 months is too much effort to give up! Stick with your quit and you will never be sorry. NTAP / yqb

Harleyboy 348 days of Freedom, working on 349

Liuchka
Liuchka

December 17th, 2004, 5:33 am #5

Hello Tana. I'm sorry you are dealing with tough triggers. But I'm so glad and proud of you for those awesome stats!!
Hang in there. It will pass. It always does. I've been there and back. I guess that you know the answer to your questions deep inside. Try to identify what's causing those triggers. But also consider that they may arise from unidentifiable sources. The mind is so complicated! The important thing here is that you are an educated quitter. You know that smoking again will only make things worse.
You can do this. Keep reading and posting; go to the basics: why did you quit? what will smoking again give you?
I've been quit more than a year, and still think of it sometimes. You know what I do? I acknowledge the thought and keep on going. It fades away.
Let us know how you are doing. Be patient with yourself, and focus on TODAY.
Everyday. NTAP!!
God bless.
Cuca - Free and Healing for One Year, Two Months, Twenty Eight Days, 16 Hours and 27 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 47 Days and 8 Hours, by avoiding the use of 13641 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $2,606.00.

Parker GOLD
Parker GOLD

December 17th, 2004, 6:03 am #6

Tana, I agree with you that your quit is in danger because last night you tried to relapse. Fortunately, your two coworkers chose to not enable that. How do you arm yourself against these thoughts? The same way you have achieved an 8 month old quit.

You do it one day at a time.
You do it by realizing that thinking about smoking a cigarette does not have to translate into action.
You do it by reviewing your reasons for quitting.
You do it by making a list, which will be very long after 8 months, of all the benefits you have realized by quitting.
You do it by not fixating on the thoughts.
You do it by promising yourself every morning: NO NICOTINE TODAY. NOT ONE PUFF. NO MATTER WHAT.
You do it by celebrating your achievement, your recovery, your freedom every night before you go to sleep.
You do it by reading posts of newbies and remembering why you don't want to start at the beginning again.
You do it by reading Kim's story and understanding that you may not ever have the chance to quit again.
You do it by realizing that you are experiencing some temporary discomfort that will pass because your quit is still growing and maturing.

Tana, this quit is yours. Your great gift to you. You are in complete control. You can choose to throw it away or continue to treasure it. At around 10 months I went through a tough time in my life which caused lots and lots of smoking thoughts to flit around my head. Grit your teeth, Tana. They will pass. Mine did.

Best regards from YQS,
Parker - 30 months

Golddabler1
Golddabler1

December 17th, 2004, 8:33 am #7

Hi tana
You have been given some great advice and you have had a very narrow escape,i still remember the sinking feeling of lost quits,that other voice is junkie telling you lies,the craves come from a false belief that somehow smoking will solve problems,ease boredom,increase energy.Don,t forget what it was like to be trapped and don,t forget what it was like to be living in fear of the damage you used to do.If you had lost your quit you would have felt terrible,well done for coming here and seeking advice,read the truth and reinvent your quit,let the truth in your mind grow once again,the truth shall battle and defeat those false beliefs.
Rickdabler 1 year 9 months 1 week+happily nicotine free.

Miss12304
Miss12304

December 17th, 2004, 8:36 am #8

Hi Tanya! I'm new to this group and my quit is fairly new(2 weeks tomorrow night), but I have been where you are right now before.
I had a 364 day quit.Yes, one DAY short of an entire YEAR.
I just started thinking about cigarettes,watching people smoke cigarettes,and having frequent strong cravings.After about a week of these feelings, I took another puff.
That was April 24,2002.It took me 2 1/2 years and about 18,000 cigarettes later to get the courage to quit again.
I had to suffer through the 72 hour withdrawl,feel the guilt and expense of smoking all over again because I took another puff.I didn't know any better then.I didn't have the knowledge and support this group has now blessed me with.If only I had it then!
I know how strong the addicted mind can be,but knowledge is stronger.Remember, we are ALL here for you,even a newbie like me!
Together, we can beat this!
Melissa

Miss12304
Miss12304

December 17th, 2004, 8:40 am #9

Yikes!It just occurred to me I misspelled your name.Sorrty Tana!
Melissa

December 17th, 2004, 9:05 am #10

Hi Tana,

Yes indeed, your quit is in danger.
One puff will send your quit into The one puff files .

The most important thing for you to do right now is to read.
Read every single post that has been recommended to you.
All of them were written to help save your life.

We are drug addicts. Nicotine drug addicts.
This is no game.

Read and read and don't forget to celebrate every single day that you have remained nicotine free!

Never take another puff, no matter what happens in your life.

Recognizing needs

Sal
One year, eleven months, four days

Katielucky
Katielucky

December 17th, 2004, 9:13 am #11

Here ya go Tana! If your crave has not passed try this. I hope it has though. The beginning is the toughest, but I can tell you that with every time that you think you want to smoke & you don't, you will be that much stronger for the next time. Before you know it whole days will go by without even a thought of a cigarette. At least it has for me. So hang on ....the next 24 hours is definitely doable. Keep reaching out for support and remember the most important thing NTAP!!!
Katie Free & breathing easy for Four months, three weeks, 22 hours, 10 minutes and 49 seconds. 5796 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,159.72. Life saved: 2 weeks, 6 days, 3 hours, 0 minutes.

Katielucky
Katielucky

December 17th, 2004, 9:15 am #12

Just noticed your stats Tana. Sorry, you are not so new. Hang in there
Katie

GoldWolf jmv
GoldWolf jmv

December 17th, 2004, 9:31 am #13

Hello Tana,

My god can I relate to what you are going thru!!!! I am having exactly the same kind of day!! I have been at my job for 2 whole months now, the hours are long and not what I am used to. It has also been pretty slow as of late with the economy and x-mas coming up. Today was a terrible day!!! I went to leave work and the transmission on my car would not shift to end an already bad day!!! What was my first thought??!! It's time to light up!! Would I??!! Absolutely not!!! I, like you, fully understand the impact of lighting up. We have delt with stresses and bad days for many many years with the answer always being - light a cigarette. Although we are so far into our quits, our natural response is still going to be - light a cigarette. I am only sharing this with you so that you know that you are not alone my friend. You started this journey shortly after I did and I remember when you first posted. Believe me, you are not alone!!!!! Enjoy your comfort, be on guard for complacency.

I am very proud of you Tana for not lighting up a cigarette & I am also very thankful that those 2 people who refused your request for one. You are doing great & I would sure hate to see that beautiful quit that you have there gone over something such as that. Hang in there my friend. You have now proven to yourself that you can beat those cravings!!!! Keep up the great quit!!!

Jason
Free and Healing for Nine Months, One Day and 41 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 19 Days and 2 Hours, by avoiding the use of 5501 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $1,251.72.

TsRupe
TsRupe

December 17th, 2004, 1:39 pm #14

To all who responded and all of my quit friends here...who I am so blessed to be among...

I have done tons of reading. True, I felt that I had 'handled' smoking and was caught off-guard by my addiction. I obviously need to do more maintenance than I am doing.

I spent a great deal of time reading links suggested and all of your responses here. I had neglected my reading as of late, and it was invigorating to ensconce myself again. Thanks for that especially.

This is my greatest recource and I am truly grateful.

Back to one day at a time. As I'm always one cigarette away from the insanity.

Thanks so much who all who aid me here and remind me who I am...an addict. And that I'm not alone in this.

YQS

Tana

And I've made it one more glorious day.