Controlling loss aversion: recovery not quitting

Controlling loss aversion: recovery not quitting

JohnPolito

14 Nov 2012, 15:25 #1

Controlling Smoking Cessation Loss Aversion:
Recovery not quitting.  Massive gain, zero lossImage

Greater calm during crisis as early withdrawal is no longer added to every stressful event, 50 trillion cells getting more oxygen and fewer toxins, and up ahead the prospect of going entire days without once wanting to use, welcome to recovery! If new to recovery, just one hour, challenge and day at a time and you'll soon discover that everything done under nicotine's influence can be done as well or better without it.

If true then why can quitting feel so daunting?  Why so much anxiety; so many fears?  

Not understanding our chemical dependency, it was entirely normal for us nicotine addicts to invent long lists of reasons to try and explain that next fix. Truth is, nearly all of our use justifications were false. When our members say to read, read, read, that "knowledge is power" they are encouraging you to put your use reasons and beliefs under honest light. Why? Because they know that letting go is much easier, with far fewer fears and anxieties, once we awaken to the realization that nicotine addiction is about living a lie.

Like, love, boredom, friend, stress, flavor, taste? Hogwash! We didn't smoked because we liked it. We smoked because we didn't like what happened when we didn't. Taste? How many tastebuds are inside the place we each drew the smoke, our lungs? Stress? Nicotine is an alkaloid while stress and alcohol both turn body fluids more acidic, accelerating elimination of nicotine from the bloodstream. It's hard work being a nicotine addict as we added early withdrawal to every stressful event life threw our way

Freedom's Rationalizations message board dedicated to exploring and debunking common use rationalizations: http://ffn.yuku.com/forums/80/Rationalizations

"Loss aversion" is the human mind's tendency to make perceived losses loom much larger than gains, to "strongly prefer avoiding losses to acquiring gains."   Our perception of "bad" becomes a more powerful motivator than "good." 

ImageWhen it comes to nicotine cessation truth, knowledge and understanding have the ability to rewrite your mind's loss aversion calculations, to invite "one day at a time" to quiet impatience, to use reason to control emotion, to allow rational thinking and logic to prevail over the wanting for more nicotine.

Improved breathing, keen senses of smell and taste, a clean ash-free world and lots of extra time to enjoy it, hair, skin and clothing no longer caked in smokes 4,000+ chemicals, extra money in our pocket, a return of  self esteem, ending our slow-suicide, recovery's riches include the possibility of more than an extra decade of life. 

Stand loss aversion on its head.  See the real loss as the long lost "you!"  You're coming home and it's long over-due.  But remember, whether a cold or smart turkey, success is guaranteed so long as all nicotine remains on the outside. Yep, just one rule ... no nicotine today!

Breathe deep, hug hard, live long,

John - Gold x13

theMazeSays

14 Nov 2012, 16:46 #2

Thank you for sharing this piece!  You have such a great way of framing things so they are neat and memorable.

And I'm thankful for my RSS subscription to this sight so that I can keep up.  My life is so much more full and active since I stopped puffing, it has become more difficult to find time to browse here.

~Maze, Gold x3