Comparing Quits

Comparing Quits

Joel Spitzer

03 Jan 2011, 16:08 #1

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF][font=GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]The difference of a cold-turkey withdrawal period in contrast to a NRT based withdrawal period will be obvious to any of our members who had quit at the same time as another family member, coworker or friend who started using a nicotine replacement product at the same time that they had just quit smoking. When comparing notes the first few days of the quit you will likely see a lot of similarities in the complaints. But as the days progress, it usually will become obvious that there will be a divergence in experiences, withdrawals easing up and quickly ending for the cold-turkey quitter, while the NRT user still is complaining of constant desires and symptoms, or as Bill has seen--they are still supplementing nicotine delivery with cigarettes. 

Our members have got nicotine out of their systems. They are at the point that they finally have gained control over their addiction, their health and their lives. They know now to keep that control all they need to do is keep all forms of nicotine out of their system by never administering it again via chewing, absorption through their skin, through their nasal passages, injecting it, and avoiding the most direct route of administering nicotine to the brain-by smoking it-by just knowing now to never take another puff! 

Joel 
[/font][/font]

[/font]

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF][font=GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]
[/font][/font]

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF][font=GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]I've tried everything to quit and nothing works[/font][/font][/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Limitations with the use of NRT products[/font]

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]The following is from an email I wrote to a person years ago asking my views on nicotine anonymous meetings. I cannot say for sure that the kind of experiences I referred to here happen all over or are even still happening today. The story I am relating below happened over 20 or 30 years ago. 

I have had some experience with local chapters in my area that I was a little dissatisfied with. I had some of my clinic graduates go to local meetings to reinforce their resolve after completing my clinics. What often occurred though was my clinic graduates called me quite discouraged by what happened at the meetings. 

They often reported that many of the people at the meetings were still smoking or using nicotine replacement products. Being that they had participated in a group where to graduate all people had to be totally off nicotine they found the premise of the Nicotine Anonymous meeting where so many people were still using to be a bit discouraging. 

Also, I had one experience where a member of my clinic couldn’t make the second day of his group because he was running a local nicotine anonymous meeting. This seemed quite amazing to me since he was in my group because he had just quit smoking 24 hours earlier, yet he was the man responsible for running the other meeting. When I asked him why he was running the meeting when he had only been off 24 hours, he told me that it was because it was hard for them to find moderators who would come who were off any great time periods. I found this situation quite disheartening. Again, this may be a local phenomena but I have had quite a few reports of such events over the past few decades I have been working with live groups. 

Also take a look at the string Reading at other quit smoking sites. Many of the same concepts apply to live groups as they do to Internet support sites.[/font]

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]
[/font]

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]and[/font]

[/font]

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF][/font]

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]"I sometimes worry about our members participating at other sites for the conventional wisdom advice and different philosophies taught can sometimes sidetrack them in their progress. In a way though I think it can also be helpful for some to read at other sites too as long as they read at these sites with an educated and critical eye. Our members will often see people having an extended hard time and may very well be able to recognize just why these other people are in a perpetual emotional or physical withdrawal state and end up feeling more grateful and protective of their own quits. Our members will also see relapses on a regular basis and realize just how important it is to do everything in their power to make this quit stick."[/font]
[/font]
[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]The highlighted section in red is crucial here. If you are not going to go in with full understanding you can very easily get dragged down by what often goes on at other sites. See the strings [/font][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]I liked my other support group more[/font][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF] , [/font][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Misery Love Company [/font][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]and [/font][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]Do members of our board seem to be too happy?[/font]

[/font]

Joel Spitzer

03 Jan 2011, 16:10 #2