Come to where the knowledge is

Joanne Gold

19 Oct 2001, 21:35 #11

" To kids who have not started yet, help them understand how you were once hooked and how hard it was to stop. The easiest way to avoid the health implications is to never start smoking. You can't change your smoking history, but you can help influence your childrens to avoid the same trap you were once trapped in. "
This is such an interesting article, Joel. Most of us were duped by these campaigns. It is vital we teach our children the truth. My son's school is doing a drug free campaign. Just yesterday my Billy entered a poster contest. His masterpiece was all about NOT SMOKING. He even plugged in whyquit.com (with his Mom's helpImage) Lets hope he comes in first place. Either way he is a winner, as long as he understands smoking for what it is, how addictive a drug it is and how it destroys!

Thanks,

Joanne

Joel

22 Jan 2002, 20:33 #12

Tobacco companies must spend millions trying to get us to think smoking is sexy, cool or sophisticated. Ex-smokers spend nothing advertising the opposite, and their message is much more believable and valuable to the world. The message of everyone who has quit is that quitting is possible, they generally look and feel better, they smell better, their teeth are whiter, their skin begins to look healthier and even younger, they are eventually calmer and happier and much more in control of their lives and will stay that way as long as they always know to never take another puff!

Joel

John (Gold)

22 Jan 2002, 23:48 #13

Oh yes, trays full of ash are soooooooo sexy !
Last edited by John (Gold) on 28 Mar 2009, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.

arravee(BRONZE)

23 Jan 2002, 12:16 #14

Hi,
Just try this Link for the 'True' picture behinf the Cigarrete ads..

www.badvertising.org

Luv,
Ravi-
One week, four days, 12 hours, 10 minutes and 57 seconds. 230 cigarettes not smoked, saving S$79.40. Life saved: 19 hours, 10 minutes.

Joel

30 Dec 2002, 21:38 #15

Image I forgot to say that the bulk of the letter was written in 1989. Most of the advertising slogans are different now but the tactics are the same. The ads have changed but one important truth has stayed the same over time. Not just since 1989, not since the Surgeon General Report in 1964, not since cigarettes were beginning to be mass produced at the turn of the 20th century, not since Columbus first brought Tobacco back to the old world. One truth remains constant thoughout all of tobacco's history. That truth, if you want to stay free from nicotine, always remember to never take another puff!
Joel

Joel

02 Mar 2003, 20:20 #16

I saw where a new member was saying that he or she was still having problems when seeing tobacco advertising in stores. I thought this one might help the person see those ads and walk by them with the feeling that the last thing he or she ever wants to do is send money to the company that will use part of his or her expenditure to produce those same kind of ads for our next generation. See the ads for what they are and you will stay forever committed to never take another puff!

Joel

MsArmstrongKIS

03 Mar 2003, 02:04 #17

I've read a lot of people saying that cigarette advertising didn't affect them when they were smokers because they bought whatever they had coupons for.

Those advertisements weren't for you! They were for me, when I was 17, and they worked just great. They still are a trigger for me. My theory is that younger people are more susceptible to image, packaging, and bright, shiny colors than more mature people. I've bought Marlboro Reds because I love the packaging, just as I've drank Budweiser because I think the red label is cool. Classic looking, or something. When I see an image of a slender woman wearing nice clothes and smoking in a bar I still get a little antsy. It's a gut reaction, and it gets cancelled out by logic, but the reaction is still there.

Marketing campaigns are extremely effective. . .I can't afford to underestimate this fact because it is important that I remain on my guard to it. I read that Norway was considering putting all cigarettes into packages wrapped in gray paper and banning all cigarette advertisements. The thought gave me enormous pause. How much less of a headache would I have if that was the reality in America?

Alex

I have chosen not to smoke for 2 Weeks 2 Days 18 Hours 26 Minutes 42 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 268. Money saved: $67.07.

So gold

03 Mar 2003, 04:55 #18

Just for the info, Norway banned all cigarette advertisements in 1975. And, hopefully, will ban all public smoking (bars, restaurants etc) from 01.01.2004.

Sten

Starshinegrl Gold

22 Jan 2005, 20:59 #19

Image Thank you, Joel!

Just remembered a slogan that was on German TV when I was a teenager for a brand called "HB". The ads were quite funny, they used a cartoon character known as the "little HB-man" encountering stress in all sorts of situations. The slogan they used translates to something like "Who wants to hit the roof here?" and gave the impression that smoking one of their death sticks would calm you down immediately. It was on for years and it is still in my brain. Advertising ... thank God, TV adverts for cigarettes are no longer allowed here.

Gitte
57 days and a bit

Joel

24 Mar 2005, 19:58 #20

I wrote the original version of this post back in1989. Most of the advertising slogans are different now but the tactics are the same. The ads have changed but one important truth has stayed the same over time. Not just since 1989, not since the Surgeon General Report in 1964, not since cigarettes were beginning to be mass produced at the turn of the 20th century, not since Columbus first brought Tobacco back to the old world. One truth remains constant thoughout all of tobacco's history. That truth, if you want to stay free from nicotine, always remember to never take another puff!