Carrying Cigarettes

Nico Free Me

23 Jan 2007, 00:16 #51

I had to take this a step further. A few days into my quit I found a half pack of cigarettes in the nightstand. It was not enough to just throw them away. It would be too easy to dig them out of the trash. I literally had to destroy each cigarette, and throw the tobacco down the garbage disposal (not the filters) so there was no way they could be salvaged. I thought it would feel sad in a way, but it really felt liberating to do it.

Joel

03 Apr 2007, 23:00 #52

I saw the suggestion of using a pencil or pen like a mock cigarette. It reminded me of this comment from above:

Ex-smokers should never carry cigarettes--not from day one of a quit. One reason is for the real risk of smoking it, and the second reason is that as long as a person keeps cigarettes he or she is also keeping a mindset that he or she is a smoker trying not to smoke as opposed to being an ex-smoker. Ex-smokers and never smokers never keep cigarettes--why would they? It serves no purpose to them.
As long as a person feels like a smoker trying not to smoke, he or she is going to have the psychological problems and play the little mind games of a smoker trying not to smoke. When you cross over to the frame of mind that you are not a smoker trying not to smoke but rather you are now an ex-smoker--and that is what you want to be--the psychological benefit can be both powerful and profound.

If you work on proper frame of mind in the beginning, you can feel this difference a minute into your quit and you will prove yourself right as long as you always remember that you are committed to never take another puff!

Joel

sintehdarock

31 Aug 2007, 00:50 #53

O.K. It is a done deal. I just took a leap of blind faith , and trusting in your take on things , I threw out the 3 opened bags of TOP that I have been keeping...emptying them first .

sandinbetweentoes

10 Nov 2007, 00:16 #54

I quit on Oct. 15th 2007 while walking a mile or so up to the store after I just had a ciggarette. I knew I needed to quit! I knew that this was killing me internally, externally and it will only get worse. I took the pack of ciggarettes and stated 3 emotional reasons to why I wanted to rid the habit for good this time and threw them down on the ground with all my might and kept on walking. I felt so good about myself and my choice. Although quitting has been difficult when out in social situations involving drinking, the more you do it without smoking the easier it gets. I could never hold onto a pack of cigarettes - those are what you want to get away from! It's weird because in my last quit attempts I felt that life was doomed without cigarettes-no fun, etc... but now I feel that life is really, in fact the same, you just do not smoke. If anything it actually enhances your current experiences by not smoking and going thru withdrawel and also boosts self esteem knowing that you are getting healthier each day, and you are definitely going to have a better future!

Judykay0

07 Jan 2008, 13:42 #55

When I stopped smoking, I had one new pack. My son drew a face on it with markers. I gave the pack a name. In the first week, I had some "serious" talks with that pack of cigarettes about how horrible it was making my life. I know that seems silly, but i was having a debate with myself. Which seemed to be the case in the second week as well. I planned on throwing that pack away on new years eve, but I still didn't do it. I was playing a "game" with myself, because I still couldn't really believe that I was a NON smoker.
I took those cigarettes and I put them in a bowl, wet them, and threw them away.
It seems so stupid now to have kept that pack of cigarettes. I was doing just as you said. I was telling myself that I was "better" or "stronger" than they were. I was having a "arguement" with those cigarettes.
I am happy to say that I threw them out of my house today.
Such ends the fight.

John (Gold)

07 Jan 2008, 22:44 #56

Judy, it's all too common that the rational, thinking mind resorts to games, challenges, tests, personification and bizarre rituals when attempting to arrest a chemical dependency, a dependency that long ago took hostage the priority teaching pathways of the deep inner primitive mind. But such games are like holding a chicken bone too close to a dog's mouth. Why would superior intelligence intentionally tease a brain into experiencing powerful craves that it knew or should have known were coming?

Keeping the instrument of relapse handy may be associated with a host of mind games including a tangible attempt to display self control or raw power, an intentional self-tease, an already defeated mind's access insurance for when challenge becomes significant, or even what sounds like a rational attempt to extinguish, early, one of the biggest conditioned feeding cues of all, being around cigarettes.

We are told that early alcohol use is associated with 50% of all relapses but even louder is the fact that 100% of relapses involve the addict getting their hands on nicotine. Although time distortion may make a less than three minute crave episode feel like three hours, if we have the ability to put a few minutes between us and obtaining nicotine, we afford the rational, thinking mind an opportunity to sense the turmoil begin to subside, and keep healing, freedom and recovery alive.

There will be plenty of time later for all the mind games you then want to play (if any) and they'll each be super easy to win. You'll no longer be in the throws of chemical withdrawal, the vast majority of your nicotine feeding cues will have been extinguished, and your deep inner brain will have been afforded an opportunity to taste the true beauty and flavor of life without nicotine, and sense the inner calm of coming home to you!

Thirty years of my own bondage, and up to 3 packs-a-day, as part of my cessation seminars I'm often handling cigarettes. If you're thinking about quitting or a new quitter, I wish you could peak inside my mind and feel what it's like to go program after program and yet never once want for nicotine. Give yourself time. You'll be amazed at how comfortable and content you'll become, even around smokers.

All we can control are the next few minutes and whether the calmest yet or our greatest challenge of all during this temporary period of re-adjustment called quitting, each will be entirely do-able. You're coming home! Yes you can, yes you have, yes you are!

Breathe deep, hug hard, live long,

John (Gold x8)

starbirder.ffn

25 Mar 2008, 01:42 #57

Image A good read to continue our education....

Star Image After 40+ years, Free and Healing and Choosing Not To Use nicotine for over 8 months.....

hwc5

25 Mar 2008, 03:53 #58

I threw out my cigarettes on day three. Up to that point, I had stopped smoking without really planning to quit. Sick with the flu. Felt horrible to smoke, so I went one day. Then, I tried for a second day. Still, I was just testing the waters. After three days without a cigarette, my mindset completely changed...just as Joel describes. After having made it through three days without nicotine (for the first time in 35+ years), I decided to take advantage of the opportunity to become an ex-smoker.

It was then that I committed to never taking another puff. It was also then that I realized I could live without cigarettes on hand and that those cigarettes would be a very dangerous temptation at some point. Better to have to get in the car and go buy a pack to give into an urge. Build in a little hurdle to a careless relapse.

So I took the two packs I had bought the day before I quit, walked out to the garage, and tossed them in the garbage can. Definitely a point of no return.

I totally understand Joel's advice. I found an (empty) cigarette pack in the center console of my car yesterday (six weeks into my quit). I don't want the temptation.

Gump19690

02 May 2008, 08:40 #59

Don't ever forget how cigarettes once controlled your behaviors and beliefs. When you quit smoking you admitted cigarettes controlled you. You were literally afraid that one puff could put you back. That was not an irrational fear. One puff today will lead to the same tragic results as it would have the day you quit. Cigarettes were stronger than you before, and, if given the chance, will be stronger than you again. If you want to show you are now in control, do it by admitting you can function without having cigarettes as a worthless and dangerous crutch. To permanently stay free from cigarettes, all that needs to be done is to NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF.

Dont underestimate this one...just do it.

Joel

24 Jun 2008, 02:59 #60

We put out guidelines that enhance an individual's chance of success. Some people may get by with doing things differently, but they often had put themselves at greater risk than should have been necessary. In clinics I sometimes find out people had kept emergency stashes, some for years, yet got away with it and pulled off the quit. But I encounter many more people who lose their quits early on, and when I ask where they got the first cigarette from it turns out that they had kept an emergency stash "just in case." Well just in case kind of events surfaced and the easy availability ended up costing these people their quits. I have been in this field long enough to witness these people later losing their lives from such actions.

So does everyone have to follow everything we say to guarantee success? No, not really. But do people have a better chance following the advice and life lessons of hundreds or thousands of people as opposed to a few exceptions? I will let each and every one of you be the judge of that.

But one rule has no exceptions-the rule that says to stay smoke free and guarantee that this quit the last quit you will ever have to do requires always remembering to never take another puff!

Video version of this string
Title Dialup video Highspeed video MP3 Audio 08:18 09/28/06
Carrying cigarettes 1.85mb 5.70mb 3.02mb 06:39 10/17/06