Carrying Cigarettes

Christy xs

07 Jul 2004, 23:15 #41

Relating to this article, I have been amused by the "helpful" insights of the well-intentioned people around me who have offered me advise on my quit.
A few examples of some recent conversations:
At work, coworker who never smoked before:
Coworker: "Well Chris, maybe what you should do is carry around an unopened pack. Then everytime you have an urge and don't smoke, you'll know you're succeeding at quitting."
My Response: "Bill (not real name), do you know how many quit-smoking experts recommend that strategy?"
Coworker: "No. How many?"
Me: "EXACTLY Zilch, zero, nill, none, nolo! Would you recommend a heroine addict carry around a loaded syringe?"
Coworker: "Ohhh. No. So that wasn't good advise huh?"
Me: "No, but I know you meant well."
At work (2days before my quit), 2 coworkers, ex-smokers successful with NRT's:
Cowkr #1: "Wow Chris, I'm so proud of you for quitting. You'll be so glad you did. Are you going to use the patch or the gum?"
Me: "Neither. I'm addicted to nicotine, so I'm just quitting."
Cowkr #2: "Oh but you need something. I quit with the gum, and so did 'cowkr1'."
Cowkr #1: "Yea, we both quit with the gum. You need it. Of course...I was addicted to the gum for over three years. Didn't think I'd ever stop chewing it."
Cowkr #2: "I know I was on the gum for 6 months, and my wife was addicted to the gum for over a year and a half, and now she's smoking again. Geez, the gum was more expensive than cigarettes!"
Me (listening to the conversation turn into their nic gum addictions): "Well, thanks for supporting me in my quit, but I plan to just quit without nicotine substitutes."
Cowkr #1: "Well I think you'll need the gum to quit."
Me: ...just a smile... "We'll see."
Conversation at my neighborhood pub w/2 patrons:
Patron #1: "So you quit smoking, huh? I quit smoking for 13 years once. Know how I did it? I put a full pack of cigarettes in my coat pocket just in case I HAD to have a cigarette, I wouldn't be a bum. I don't like bums. Carried that pack around for years until one day I needed one. That pack was flat as a playing card. That's how I did it."
Me: "Gee, I don't think I would be enjoying these few days of success I've had with not smoking if I were carrying around a pack.
Patron #2: Looks at Patron #1, "So if you quit smoking for 13 years, why are you smoking now?" Doesn't wait for an answer. "Chris, what you need to do is instead of a pack you should only carry around one or two cigarettes."
Me: Shaking my head. "What are you guys nuts? I am addicted to nicotine. I have quit for 9 days without carrying around a cigarette or a pack, or using the gum, or the patch, or anything. My quit strategy is SET. Thank you both for the suggestions, but you are both smoking and I am not." (I am a little bolder after a couple beers. Image)
Anyway, I have been mostly amused by these and other well-meant "pearls" of wisdom. Thanks again to WhyQuit and Freedom for the "true pearls" of knowledge.
Cheers ,
Christy
I've not smoked 286 death sticks, and saved $33.28.
I've saved 23 hours and 47 minutes of my life.
Free and Healing for Eleven Days, 10 Hours and 5 Minutes
Last edited by Christy xs on 08 Apr 2009, 23:39, edited 1 time in total.

zwan girl3

01 Aug 2004, 02:44 #42

I do not have the luxury of ridding my home of smoking material, as I live with a heavy smoker. I will tell anyone, that in my opinion, having cigarettes handy, as a stash, or whatever term you choose to fool yourself with, is just plain stupid. Your "junkie" self can be extremely convincing at times, and having your fix readily available is just like signing your own warrant for failure. I'm fully aware that anyone's next puff can be as close as the neighbor's house, but even a buffer like that may be all you need to overcome the urge. I would recommend to any drug addict to rid their home of drugs. Do I feel stronger than others because I have cigarettes available at all times? Not necessarily, but I do feel I have unnecessary stress of looking at my drug constantly.

zwan_girl3
Too educated to take another puff, since July 7, 2004!

John (Gold)

02 Jan 2005, 15:55 #43

If recovery time distortion is an almost universial recovery symptom and what can feel like a three hour crave episode is never longer than three minutes then why not build in as much delay as your situation will allow?

We understand that many members have family and loved ones who smoke and who'll at times be less than supportive of this wonderful opportunity to substantially improve your health while likely substantially lengthening your life.

But for a recovering nicotine addict to intentionally keep nicotine handy is like someone on suicide-watch intentionally carrying a fully loaded gun, just to prove they can. This isn't time for more head-games but for reason, logic and to replace junkie thinking with the common sense that once filled your mind.
Last edited by John (Gold) on 08 Apr 2009, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.

MareBear GOLD

10 Mar 2005, 05:45 #44

For MistyEyed...for the record, I did this one myself and ended up smoking again for another 4 years before finding this site.

MareBear
aka Mary who told you to CYE...I'm rootin' for ya!Image Also for the record...I've been free from nicotine for: 2 Years 9 Months 1 Week 4 Days 19 Hours. Not smoked: 20316. Money saved: $3,555.30. Life Saved: 2 Months 1 Week 2 Days 13 Hours.

Joel

06 Jun 2005, 00:39 #45

Finding cigarettes

I wrote the below commentary specifically about people offering you cigarettes after you quit. Another similar issue is for people who repeatedly "accidentally" leave their cigarettes in your home, office or car. If this ever happens it is best to destroy the person's cigarettes. Again, the same concept applies--whether you smoke them or destroy them, the cigarettes are no longer going to be available for the person who has carelessly left them behind. The first time if you really feel bad you can reimburse the person the cost of the cigarettes. After that though the person should clearly know not to be so careless with his or her cigarettes.

If ever you have a family member, friend, co-worker or any other acquaintance offer you a cigarette it is best to politely say no and just let the person know that you do not smoke any more nor do you even want to smoke any more. Basically say you have no interest or desire for one. That should be the end of the offers if it is from any person who was just making what he or she thought was a friendly gesture.

If the person pursues asking you about how you quit and why you feel as you do, you may want to take the opportunity to share some of what you learned here about how important quitting smoking is and how much better you feel about yourself since you have quit smoking.

If on the other hand the person continues to offer you a cigarette or is obviously actually pushing you to take one it is best to give it one or two more tries to politely say no and ask the person not to offer any more for you truly have no intention of smoking one. If this doesn't end the pressure being put on you to take a cigarette it is time to change your tactics. Look at the person, maybe even with a little bit of sadness and defeat in your eyes, and say to him or her that you can't take the pressure anymore and sure give me a cigarette if you must. When he or she hands you the cigarette, walk over to the nearest garbage can, crumble it up and throw it out.

Now you have an option of how you want to proceed. You can either wait for the next offer to come or you can say, "Thank you, that felt great. Would you like to give me another one." If the person is gullible enough to offer you another take that one too and repeat the destruction and disposal. Keep it up for as long as the person keeps offering. At some point you may want to say that this could go a whole lot faster if you would like to give me your pack. You can destroy all of the cigarettes that way in one fell swoop.

I can assure you that if you stick to this game plan the person is eventually going to stop offering you cigarettes. Cigarettes are just to expensive to keep up this kind of routine over a long time period. By the way, you should not feel any guilt for destroying the cigarettes of another person. Once a person is offering you a cigarette he or she should not be expecting to get it back. If you smoke the cigarette it is no longer available for the person or if you destroy the cigarette it is no longer available either. If the person is indeed making the offer to somehow give you some sort of pleasure the odds are you will get some sort of pleasure out of destroying them. If not pleasure you should get a little amusement out of the reaction from the person as they see their hard fought efforts to get you to smoke get instantly trashed.

This action will likely result in the other person feeling a whole lot more irritated by the altercation than you will. More importantly though, you will by example be proving to the person and to yourself that your quit is strong and your resolve is totally intact to stick to your personal commitment to never take another puff.

Joel

Sparky10191

14 Jan 2006, 00:02 #46

I can sort of relate. I had been sitting on the side line waiting to start my current quit for the past couple of months. In fact I started my quit quite unexpectedly. I woke up last Sunday morning and told my wife that today was the day. Unfortunately I had a full pack of cigs in my pocket from the night before. I went all Sunday without touching them, and Monday morning before work I put them in the kitchen drawer. Within minutes of getting home from work that evening I yelled to my wife while changing that there was a pack of smokes in the drawer and to hide them from me that night and throw them out the next day. We haven't talked about it since.

Sal GOLD.ffn

17 Mar 2006, 23:35 #47

ImageFrom above:
Don't ever forget how cigarettes once controlled your behaviors and beliefs.
When you quit smoking you admitted cigarettes controlled you. You were literally afraid that one puff could put you back. That was not an irrational fear.
One puff today will lead to the same tragic results as it would have the day you quit.
Cigarettes were stronger than you before, and, if given the chance, will be stronger than you again. If you want to show you are now in control, do it by admitting you can function without having cigarettes as a worthless and dangerous crutch.
To permanently stay free from cigarettes, all that needs to be done is to NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!
Last edited by Sal GOLD.ffn on 09 Apr 2009, 00:14, edited 1 time in total.

Giddy74

27 May 2006, 10:40 #48

Hello all...I am at three weeks today! The thought of carrying, frightens me...I felt so fragile the first couple of weeks (and still do at times). I was cleaning my car and found a pack that had fallen under my seat during my first week. You would have thought I found an illegal substance the way I snatched it up and threw it away so quickly!!!! I was terrified! You know, the "fits" that occur when you go through withdraw? They are intense and it isn't always easy to use your head! My Point in all of this rambling: I cannot imagine thinking I could carry that pack and NOT fail.

bamagirl1962

29 Nov 2006, 02:31 #49

I must admit...there are still cigarettes in my house. I quit coming back from the Doctor that day (10/30/06) and there is still a pack in the cabinet above my fridge. I know that it's there and sometimes over the past three weekends I have been sorely tempted to open that cabinet. But I haven't.

At this point in my quit, I'm still afraid to open the cabinet, get the pack in my hands and throw them away. I've often thought of asking my boyfriend to do it for me, but I NEED to be able to throw them out myself. To show myself that I am indeed strong enough to touch them and let them go.

I need to do this soon (although I usually forget they are there during the week). I just want to make sure that I'm not alone when I do it...just need the support.

Rhonda - Nicotine free for 4 weeks, 1 days, while extending my life expectancy 2 Days and 12 Hours, by avoiding the use of 723 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $123.13. Quit Date: 10/30/06

bamagirl1962

29 Nov 2006, 21:44 #50

Well....I did it! I opened the cabinet, took out my cigarette case, got out the change that was in the front pocket, saw those cigarettes, picked up the unopened pack and took the case and the pack and threw them in the garbage.

It's trash pick up day so they are gone. I feel stronger by the fact that I was able to touch them and not feel like I wanted to smoke. I think I was most afraid of the opened pack, they were just sitting there....but I didn't even consider taking one out.

I'm pretty proud of myself this morning Image

Rhonda - Nicotine free for 4 weeks, 2 days, while extending my life expectancy 2 Days and 13 Hours, by avoiding the use of 743 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $126.55. Quit Date: 10/30/06