Carrying Cigarettes

murphying (Gold)

17 Mar 2002, 19:08 #21

I must be the exception that proves the rule on this one. When I quit this time I remembered that every other time I tried to quit I panicked after our local shop closed at night - knowing it was a long drive to anywhere from where we live to find anything open. Keep in mind that this was before I found the Freedom site.
So I decided to use a bit of psychology on myself after I set my quit date and kept an unopened packet of cigarettes at home.
For me it worked - at the end of a week when I felt much more confident in myself, I cashed them back in at the store. I have to say that not once during that week was I the slightest bit tempted to open that packet.....and I suffered no 'panic' when the shop closed in the evenings.
I can understand that this wouldn't have worked for others though - in fact judging by some posts it would have been disastrous!

Ingrid
2 Months 2 Weeks 3 Days 4 Hours 25 Minutes 55 Seconds.
Cigarettes not smoked: 3809. Money saved: NZ$1,618.92. Self Esteem 100%

ThreecrowsGold

17 Mar 2002, 21:40 #22

This reminds me of when my mother quit ten years ago. She did so with an entire carton of cigs in her freezer. She never once touched them, however, I relieved her of them quickly. lol.

I have to be honest, if I had had a cigarette I would have smoked it. Even now I do not entertain buying, smoking, having any around me at all because I am a nicotine junkie and I know as soon as I started that it would be all over and I would have to start again. Weak, I know, but self honesty is never pretty.

Many thanks, love and peace to the freedomites!
Liz aka threecrows

PS the hillside is coming along, funny how much I object to chemical toxins after pumping them into myself for almost 30 years.

Joel

17 Mar 2002, 22:25 #23

Hello Ingrid:

You are not the only exception to this rule-I am sure there are others around here. We put out guidelines that enhance an individual's chance of success. Some people may get by with doing things differently, but they often had put themselves at greater risk than should have been necessary. In clinics I sometimes find out people had kept emergency stashes, some for years, yet got away with it and pulled off the quit. But I encounter many more people who lose their quits early on, and when I ask where they got the first cigarette from it turns out that they had kept an emergency stash "just in case." Well just in case kind of events surfaced and the easy availability ended up costing these people their quits. I have been in this field long enough to witness these people later losing their lives from such actions.

So does everyone have to follow everything we say to guarantee success? No, not really. But do people have a better chance following the advice and life lessons of hundreds or thousands of people as opposed to a few exceptions? I will let each and every one of you be the judge of that.

But one rule has no exceptions-the rule that says to stay smoke free and guarantee that this quit the last quit you will ever have to do requires always remembering to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

17 Mar 2002, 22:40 #24

I lifted this post off the Buddy System thread. It adds a little more perspective to the previous post here.

Joel

I thought it would be a good time to point out that we really are different than most other boards out there. I am not saying it is better or worse, just different. People come in here that have often been at other boards first where the rule of the day is everyone has good ideas of how to quit. The fact is, many people come with their old techniques and understanding of how to quit. That is why many if them are current smokers. Their old techniques failed them. We on the other hand are trying to share methods ands approaches that are tried and true. Not methods that one person used and it seemed to work for them, but that you can find dozens of people who used the exact same method only to have it basically undercut their quits. We are trying to highlight the methods that enhances the vast majority of members and even ex-smoking non-members overall success.

It is not that we are not against newbies offering support, but just that they should hang around a while first, read all of our philosophies and try to understand what we are doing here and why we have some of our guidelines in place.

If a person has a difference of opinion with our technique, which is basically quit cold turkey, don't carry cigarettes and never take another puff, they should not post about it on the board. If they want to discuss it with management, we can each be emailed and we will explain why we don't advocate a specific piece of advice. Or maybe we will see your point and modify our approach.

But if a new member reads it in their first days of a quit, before we have a chance to point out the pitfalls, they may think that this advice is accepted strategy for enhancing smoking cessation. The fact is for most people, if the advice in contradictory to our basic premise, it is probably going to be counterproductive to the person's quit. People just quitting who are hanging on for dear life will often grasp onto things that are written in our posts and responses. The addiction would love to get some support from a basically bad piece of advice that makes the potential for relapsing seem a bit easier.

Also, we need to keep focused on the real danger of the buddy system. The buddy may have the best advice in the world, and the other buddy may really count on the person to get them through thick and thin. But there is no guarantee that the buddy will be available when needed or worst, there is no guarantee that the buddy won't be a smoker next time contacted. Stranger things have happened.

Count on yourself first. You can count to some degree on the group after that, but there have even been times where due to technical difficulties the whole group disappears all at once. Again, that is where counting on yourself is paramount. Print out your own reasons for having initially quit. Print out materials here that struck a personal chord helping you at a critical moment. Have alternative resources of support established. But don't count on one individual, no matter who they are. The stakes are too high to gamble on one person helping you when he or she may not be able to do this for him or herself.

Joel

Joel

01 May 2002, 19:51 #25

My gosh, I have not brought up this one in a long time. Ex-smokers should never carry cigarettes--not from day one of a quit. One reason is for the real risk of smoking it, and the second reason is that as long as a person keeps cigarettes he or she is also keeping a mindset that he or she is a smoker trying not to smoke as opposed to being an ex-smoker. Ex-smokers and never smokers never keep cigarettes--why would they? It serves no purpose to them.

As long as a person feels like a smoker trying not to smoke, he or she is going to have the psychological problems and play the little mind games of a smoker trying not to smoke. When you cross over to the frame of mind that you are not a smoker trying not to smoke but rather you are now an ex-smoker--and that is what you want to be--the psychological benefit can be both powerful and profound.

If you work on proper frame of mind in the beginning, you can feel this difference a minute into your quit and you will prove yourself right as long as you always remember that you are committed to never take another puff!

Joel
Last edited by Joel on 04 Nov 2011, 00:23, edited 1 time in total.

Slycat

01 May 2002, 23:50 #26

Hi Joel:

I can still feel that pack of cigarettes in my hand. I use to hold it in my right hand and do everything else I was doing like driving or writing something on a piece of paper or anything. That pack of cigarettes was always in my right hand with the lighter in the pack along with my cigarettes. I would hopefully finish the first couple of cigarettes from that pack fast so I could fit my lighter in the pack. It was one nifty, condensed package that had everything I needed in it to smoke a cigarette. Sometimes I would chew on the bottom of the cigarette box. I never realized what I was doing though. Not until now.

When I first tried to quit I was having a really hard time. I thought that if I brought a pack of cigarettes and lit them up one by one and burned them in the ashtray in front of me so that the smoke would go into my face, I would be o.k. Well that just started me on smoking again besides all the second hand smoke I inhaled that weekend. Even my eyes were tearing.

How stupid. Well when I quit after that I just got rid of everything. I thought I would be looking for something to play with in my right hand but I haven't missed the feeling, although I can still feel the pack in my hand sometimes (strange). I know people that I work with here that quit (a couple of people quit for 10 years). They always kept a pack of cigarettes with them during this time. I mean 10 years is a long time to quit. Well, they both went back to smoking cigarettes after 10 years but never smoked any of the cigarettes in that pack they just held onto. One girl had a scare of thyroid cancer and that made her quit for 10 years and the other one gained too much weight so she went back. Maybe just the reminder of holding onto those cigarettes for that long was too strong for them.

Well I just wanted to get through the first week because once you do that you can keep going. If I quit for 10 years I would hopefully never want to go back. I guess the feeling of that cigarette pack in my right hand will diminish over time. I'm sure all symptons will go away.....

Thanks...Judy

John (Gold)

03 Jun 2002, 00:31 #27

A quitter keeping cigarettes around just to prove they can, is akin to a person on suicide watch carrying a loaded gun. With a triggered crave being less than 3 minutes in duration (be sure and look at a clock as your mind may try to convince you that it's 3 hours instead) one of your best weapons against relapse is delay, delay, delay! Why take it away!

Each crave will end in a very short period of time whether you feed it or not. If you know where "it" or "they" are, then you'd be well advised to flush or crush your hidden stash! Baby steps to glory! This is doable! YQB John

John (Gold)

06 Aug 2002, 00:26 #28

A habit triggered crave will last less than three minutes before it begins easing off. Delay is your friend. Get rid of ALL your cigarettes and give yourself a real chance at lasting freedom! You've earned the right to see what it's like go an entire day without ever once WANTING or even THINKING about smoking nicotine. Baby steps, just one hour and day at a time! The next hour is doable for all of us! John

OBob Gold

15 Aug 2002, 11:22 #29

You see those little tubes with a cigarette in them. They say, "In case of emergency, break glass," or something similar. The terrible truth IS that no matter how grim the emergency, it's not so bad that a cigarette cannot make it worse (by adding a forced-suicide addiction to your troubles). These tubes are the equivalent of having a glass full of butane that says, "in case of fire, break glass."

I wonder how many quits they've cost.

Puh(BRONZE)

19 Aug 2002, 09:29 #30

Image Its Done !

Ulrike
I have chosen not to smoke for 2 Weeks 3 Days 2 Hours 53 Minutes 50 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 342. Money saved: $68.48.