Carrying Cigarettes

pammers

31 Jul 2001, 12:08 #11

OMG Treese, I can totally relate to what you're saying. I was doing exactly the same thing.I'd go a few hours without and then whip out to the store and get yet another pack,telling myself that "THIS WAS IT,FOR SURE!" I was always determined to make THAT pack the last one.Boy,what a vicious draining cycle.Everynight I went to bed cursing myself about what a loser I was,which then leads to depression.....and on and on.Congratulations Treese on 5 weeks,you really give me hope.Your doing fantastic!

Joel

10 Aug 2001, 21:33 #12

I saw today and I think I saw yesterday comments made by new members about finding butts and being tempted to smoke them. It is important that when butts are encountered in your homes, or worse yet, whole cigarettes or packs are found, they should be promptly destroyed--not just "disposed" of. As can be seen by the comments in today's example, the temptation to go into a garbage and take out a butt and put in in your mouth is real. If you think about it, what else have you ever considered digging through trash for in order to put it in your mouth? Unless faced with a period of severe starvation--nothing else ever tempted you this way.

But cigarettes are an addiction and addiction will make you think things and worse yet, do things that totally defy normal logic. In order that nicotine can never exert this level of control on you again, always remember that it did control you to this extent before, analyze how you feel about that fact, and your likely decision from that fact alone will be to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

13 Nov 2001, 18:21 #13

By the way, this letter should read carrying any nicotine product, meaning cigarettes, cigars, snuff, patches, gum, nicotine inhalers, lozenges, drops, etc. Anyone who is carrying any or all of these products "just in case" is setting him or herself up for a relapse. There should be no distinction drawn in anyone's mind that if he or she "just" takes a NRT product in lieu of a cigarette to survive a disaster that it is a more acceptable or udnerstanding practice. It is a drug relapse clear and simple and no distinction should exist in your mind. The ONLY way to overcome the addiction is by staying NICOTINE free and the ONLY way of staying NICOTINE free is by never administering nicotine via any route--meaning through the skin, nose, mouth, or any other creative route of administration that is ever developed and of course as far as the most common and available route of delivery, to remember to never take another puff!

Joel

amey (bronze)

16 Dec 2001, 12:26 #14

I know that this would be catastrophic for my quit... I had to make sure I had none of my own around........ because I have never"mooched" smokes.. So for me it did not matter if some one else smokes..... as long as they didn't belong to me....... for me if I had paid for them then I couldn't deny myself....... so..... what I had to do is make sure that none that I bought were in my presence when my quit began......so I know that I will be strong.... because I will not buy cigs for any reason..... not for my dad..... not for my brother.... not for my friends..... and not for my husband........ as long as I don't pay money for them I will not have them...... therefore my solution is : don't buy cigarrets for any body for any reason..........even if it ticks them off...... my resolution is that if they want to poison themselves...... they will have to do it themselves....... amey

Joel

16 Dec 2001, 20:22 #15

Hello Amey:

I have to tell you there is one dangerous thought here--the idea that as long as you don't buy cigarettes you are safe. Buying is not the biggest issue, it is smoking one, and more accurately, taking a puff off one that will undo a quit, no matter how you obtained it.

I can't tell you how many times in the past when I am following up a clinic I hear the person at the other end of the phone say that they are doing okay, they are not buying cigarettes. As soon as I hear these words I know I have a relapsed smoker on the other end who likely is in a chronic withdrawal state because they are having a very difficult time sustaining nicotine levels at any kind of a comfortable amount by bumming one after another from every smoker they know.

Or they may be the truly creative person who buys carton after carton of cigarettes for one friend, only to "borrow" back a pack or two a day to keep their own nicotine withdrawal at bay. You see, these people are not buying cigarettes for themselves, just for their friend. The friend loves it, they get lots of free cigarettes. The smoker loves it, because he or she can delude himself or herself that he or she is now in control since he or she does not buy cigarettes anymore. What a waste. That smoker is wasting a lot of money and is aiding in the destruction of his or her friend. Maybe one day when the friend is paying the full face value, he or she would realize it is just to expensive and that may instigate that persons initial quit.

Whatever starts the quit is great, but the issue that will sustain the quit will likely be more mutifaceted that just the cost. It will be the realization of all the benefits gained by not smoking. The Freedom, the cost savings, the social benefits, the eradication of the stench, the increases in energy, the reduction of stress, the end of the chronic withdrawals and nicotine feeding frenzies, the increase in overall wellness and then the ultimate payoff, the longer and healthier life, that when considered in its whole will make a person realize that their long-term goal will always be to never take another puff!

Joel

OBob Gold

31 Dec 2001, 04:35 #16

Wow. That was me in the early days. Buying packs for friends, and only borrowing a few back. Dang, I thought I was the only one who had thought of that. Of course, it was only a matter of time before I was buying them for myself, and slowly building my addiction. Ugh.

Joel

05 Jan 2002, 12:11 #17

Image For Marj: In honor of her recentrly destroyed last pack.

Joel

13 Jan 2002, 01:08 #18

For JanetD:

If you ever find an unclaimed cigarette laying around that even tempts you for a second, simply destroy it. If you were to take it and light it you'd be destroying it anyway, and destroying yourself in the process. If you really feel guilty just leave 50 cents in its place with a note, maybe something to the effect--"Sorry I destroyed your cigarette before it had a chance to really hurt me. Here is 50 cents you can put toward your next pack. Or maybe you left it because you finally decided to stop destroying yourself. If that is the case, good for you! Keep the 50 cents then too--you deserve it for having quit and will see a lot more of it being saved over your lifetime."

Jerm (Gold)

21 Jan 2002, 08:52 #19

Image, I'm almost crying from laughing so much. I am picturing me throwing my roommates every pack of cigarettes I find in my house!! I think he would kill me, but a good message to send to him that I don't want to see them anymore.

Joel

20 Feb 2002, 04:16 #20

Image For Ladybird:

Sealing cigarettes may not be enough. Flush them down the toilet. If done right, they become almost impossible to retrieve and if you somehow go through the extraordinary effort of going into your plumbing system and getting them they are very difficult to light. I actually never met anyone who went through such an effort--and if I do I won't be shaking their hands any time soon.

Joel