Caring for Our Recovery

LizzyB

11 Sep 2006, 22:41 #71

If you have access to a computer, you wont' need a smoker's help. You can go on-line to scores of smoking cessation support groups and find thousands of battles being fought, hear tons of cries and watch hundreds who won't make it through "**** Week" to the hope that lies beyond. Visit as often as possible. Make a few posts to those in need. Share your valuable quit wisdom and give the gift of hope. Most don't know what it's like to be free. Most have few remaining memories of the days before their addiction. Fear of the unknown is frightening. Help them and in doing so help yourself.

Sharry

17 Dec 2006, 00:59 #72

This is a very special article. Many times I have quit smoking, gone to nicotine gum, gone to smoking the vicious circle...

The last time it was my birthday - I had a cigarette to celebrate - I did not need something terrible to happen, I just forgot how revolting cigarettes are. However, I did not stop with just the one revolting cigarette - no I had to go the whole hog back to 6-10 a day, palpitations, feeling guilt, shame.

1. still addicted because I was on nicotine gum

2. Had the excuse

3. Poor memory

A special article, for me. Thank you.

Sharry

Roger (Gold)

10 Feb 2007, 02:44 #73

Image We all need personal grooming most every day. Our quits are no different. A tweak here, a tweak there or perhaps just a minor attitude adjustment. Your life may just depend on it.

Angela2819

31 Mar 2007, 10:58 #74

ImageImageImageImageImage
Excellent!

I printed it. I need to keep this one handy.

Thanks!

Sunrise3057

03 Jan 2008, 18:40 #75

Think about that first week. What was it like? Can you still feel the powerful craves as your body begged and cried to be fed? Can you still feel the pain? Do you see yourself not being able to concentrate, having difficulty sleeping, feeling depressed, angry, irritable, frustrated, restless, with tremendous anxiety, a foggy mind, sweating palms, rapidly cycling emotions, irrational thinking, emotional outbursts or even the shakes? Do you remember these things? Do you remember the price you paid for freedom?

Gosh memories do fade, and wow i did this, i quit!!!Image

sharon freeImage

I have been quit for 1 Month, 3 Weeks, 4 Days, 38 minutes and 21 seconds (56 days). I have saved £234.18 by not smoking 1,064 cigarettes. I have saved 3 Days, 16 hours and 40 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 08/11/2007 10:01
Last edited by Sunrise3057 on 16 Feb 2009, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.

Joel Spitzer

28 Jan 2009, 23:24 #76

I noticed some of the posts on this recovery board have not been viewed by any member since we moved our site. This post had no views yet. Now it is possible that new members are reading the materials at www.whyquit.com which is great. There are however numerous articles that we had at the old MSN board and now also at this new site that are not at the www.whyquit.com website. I will try to pop a few up a day for new members, but I do encourage people first joining to to through the boards that we have set up here and read through the articles. The more you read and understand, the more prepared you will be when encountering awkward times such as finding a pack or other kinds of unexpected triggers to stick to your personal commitment to never take another puff. Joel

Gymguy

22 Jan 2010, 13:23 #77

Joel:

Almost a year since someone's been to this post, and it was exactly what I needed to read today. Many thanks to you and John for your skillful and caring work. I am free three weeks, and believe I will NTAP...

Best, Gymguy

jennsosweet34

28 Jan 2010, 23:14 #78

I am so thankful that this jumped right out at me... I was beginning to feel complacent and free and loving it!  I have been very much at peace and finding myself again in the last couple of days... Dealing with my emotions and the ups and downs of  a normal life, without nicotine and cigarettes.  I don't ever ever want to take these feelings of comfort and serenity for granted!  I don't ever want to forget how it felt being a smoker and in the grips of addiction.  I don't ever want to forget what the first 3days were like without nicotine.  Thank you for this site Joel!

Jen is now - I have been quit for 2 Weeks, 1 Day, 2 hours, 5 minutes and 15 seconds (15 days). I have saved $75.43 by not smoking 301 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 1 hour and 5 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 1/13/2010 16:10

expansion78

31 Jan 2010, 19:03 #79

Thank you for this article.  It just woke me up....again.  I was starting to have those kinds of 'just one' thoughts but I know from a previous lost quit that if I didn't do something to change and stop it, I would soon be smoking again.  This was the first article I found, and it was just what I needed to hear right now. Thank You!

Missy

Johnnie

26 Aug 2010, 15:15 #80

Well, this is one thread I'll definitely be coming back to. Thanks. The black Quit Log I carry has become my constant companion--and I couldn't agree with you more that, ultimately, most failures come down to failure of the memory. My log is filled with not words, but images and charts and visual prompts to help me embed in my brain the vivid memory of everything I felt that led me to that last cigarette.
Last edited by Johnnie on 26 Aug 2010, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.
Gratefully Gold

I escaped from the prison of smoking on August 14, 2010.  
[font]The best revenge is quitting well![/font]