Caring for Our Recovery

John (Gold)

04 Jan 2004, 20:29 #51

Last edited by John (Gold) on 16 Feb 2009, 02:59, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

27 Feb 2004, 21:53 #53

No matter how far we travel or how deep & rich our comfort becomes, just as with the recovering alcoholic, our arrested dependency travels with us. The key to staying on this side of the bars is in keeping all nicotine out of our bloodstream! There was always only one rule ... no nicotine today ...
Last edited by John (Gold) on 16 Feb 2009, 03:04, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

23 Mar 2004, 04:08 #54

ImageIt has now been over two years since I last had anything that could honestly be called an "urge" to want to smoke nicotine. Will I feel an urge this year? Maybe but right now I can't see how as I know far too many who are suffering far too much for me to have any reason to want to do the same.

But let me tell you about the last urge that I did have back in December of 2001. It was very real yet extremely brief and brought a smile to my face during every second of the encounter. Why? Well it reminded of where I'd been, how far I'd come but that my dependency had traveled with me. It reminded me of daily life as an addict and having lots of daily urges just like it. It was no more intense than most of them.

We're each different and every recovery is different, I'm probably far from typical of the average 30 year three-pack-a-day ex-smoker who is less than 2 months away from 5 years of freedom. But even if I had 100 urges during 2004 none would take my money, destroy my healing, steal my dreams or shorten my life! This amazing sense of comfort is my gift to me and it's a keeper! John (Gold)
Last edited by John (Gold) on 16 Feb 2009, 03:06, edited 1 time in total.

squirrelgirl01

16 Nov 2004, 08:06 #56

This thread moved me so much, that it scared me! I can honestly see why I have failed before. I do believe that understanding & education on this horrible addiction for me will take me to the green, bronze, silver and yes GOLD! Very powerful stuff!
Karla- in control for 9 days 8 hours&4 minutes. I have not smoked 196 death sticks and saved $31.87 and 16 hours of my life

FearNothingDK GOLD

22 Nov 2004, 01:25 #57

I couldn't even tell you how many times I've read this, but read it I keep doing over and over again, because I am one of those who is already completely comfortable with not smoking.
This is why I am here today, and was yesterday ... and will continue to keep dropping in even if I can't for an extended period of time for some reason.
Quitting for me this time was pretty much a breeze, but I DID have some short lived but VERY tough moments in the first couple of months.
Complacency could be an issue for me because quitting was so easy ... and life now is so much easier.
I have to remember what a horrible trap smoking was and how hard it was to gather my courage to actually quit. THAT was the hardest part for me ... to win that argument with my junkie thinking.
So I thank you for this one, John.
Sandy - Free and Healing for Eight Months, Twenty Three Days, 10 Hours and 24 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 11 Days and 3 Hours, by avoiding the use of 3209 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $1,297.89.
Last edited by FearNothingDK GOLD on 16 Feb 2009, 03:08, edited 1 time in total.

Radsqaw1

22 Nov 2004, 01:41 #58

Thank you for bring this up. I am feeling so good, so
free and maybe complacent. My addict is asleep today
but will it be tomorrow? Good question. I am hugging
my quit tight and so thankful for it.
I am a deep shade of green with one month 3days two
hours
of not indudging my addiction.
Thanks for being here for me!
Last edited by Radsqaw1 on 02 Mar 2009, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

03 Dec 2004, 22:55 #59

The holiday season is upon us. If this is your first nicotine-free journey through December and a new year it would be prudent to review your list of reasons for commencing recovery and to try hard to remember what life was like when nicotine's two-hour chemical half-life was the clock calling the shots.

Try hard to remember exactly what it was really like living on the other side of the bars living with diminished lung capacity, strange sounds associated with waking or breathing, the endless string of mandatory daily feedings, keeping supplied, avoiding activities lasting longer than 2 hours, how you felt after a brief period of sudden exertion, standing alone in all forms of weather just you and a chemical, running out, digging up enough money, the emergency trip to your supplier, the world begging you to come to your senses, declining health, your stink announcing your arrival, family begging you to stop before you killed yourself and a 50% chance that they'd be right.

Millions of words here at Freedom but just one abiding principle governing the outcome for all ... no nicotine today, Never Take Another Dip, Chew or Puff!
Breathe deep, hug hard, live long Freedom! John (Gold x5)

JoeJFree Gold

25 Feb 2005, 06:47 #60

Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 16 Feb 2009, 03:16, edited 1 time in total.