Caring for Our Recovery

John (Gold)

08 Apr 2003, 18:39 #41

What if Freedom was a Heroin Recovery Forum?
What excuse would you find acceptable?
Imagine, for a second, that Freedom is a heroin recovery support group instead of nicotine. Picture each of us as recovering heroin addicts and none of us smokers. When a "great" EXCUSE for relapse comes along what would we each consider putting into our blood stream? Nicotine? No, the thought would never cross our minds. Instead, we'd reach for heroin as we sold our minds on the belief that we could handle "just one" fix and now had the "perfect" reason for injecting it. The recovering alcoholic, the cocaine addict, they'd each reach for their own substance and similar junkie thinking.
All dependency experts agree that the ability of a drug to produce an intoxicating type high is not a measure of its power to create permanent chemical dependency in those who use it. In every drug comparison research study that I've been able to locate (three so far) nicotine has ranked first in "dependence" when compared to heroin, cocaine or alcohol. We can either use this information as another "excuse" or as "motivation" for getting serious about taking our lives back. It will never be easier than it is today to keep our addiction under arrest.
This isn't new information either. The first study findings made headlines in 1988 when the U.S. Surgeon General, Dr. Koop, proclaimed to the world that nicotine was addictive in the same sense as heroin and cocaine. Science has come a long way but there is still much to learn.
We would later learn that the Surgeon General's study findings were only 25 years behind what the tobacco companies had long known. Today we can read industry documents from 1963 declaring that "Moreover, nicotine is addictive. We are, then, in the business of selling nicotine, an addictive drug." Addison Yeaman, Vice President and General Counsel, Brown & Williamson.
Today we can read industry research papers teaching tobacco industry executives that exact same information that we're all doing our best to share with you here at Freedoma. For example a 1972 Philip Morris document prepared by William L. Dunn, a senior researcher, says ...
"The cigarette should not be construed as a product but a package. The product is nicotine. Think of a puff of smoke as the vehicle for nicotine."
Today scientists are just beginning to understand how addictive substances interact with and alter the brain's normal dopamine delivery circuits to give each type of addict a bit different "aaahhh" sensation. We don't need to become brain scientists in order to taste victory in our lives. All we need to do is remember the most important lesson of all - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!
Breathe deep, hug hard, live long! John
No excuse justifies drug relapse - none!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 02 Mar 2009, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

03 Jul 2003, 10:28 #42

Last edited by John (Gold) on 16 Feb 2009, 02:51, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

11 Jul 2003, 09:58 #43

Whether the easiest or most challenging of your entire journey home,
the next few minutes will be entirely doable!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 16 Feb 2009, 02:52, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

28 Jul 2003, 18:37 #44

There's only one rule - no nicotine today, NTAP!

adnil

30 Jul 2003, 09:25 #45

Thanks, I'm still smoke free!! And so is my son, he quit a week ago & I was able to share what I learned with him. He said, Wow, I didn't know one cigarette would put you back on the adddiction. He quit before and now understands it. Thank you, so.... much!!
Last edited by adnil on 02 Mar 2009, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

13 Aug 2003, 23:39 #46

While your conscious mind is dedicated to a nicotine free life as "you,"
the subconscious mind must be re-conditioned to again believe in "you!"
Believe in your dreams and reasons, not your inner fears and emotions!
You're going home! Baby steps, just one day at a time!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 02 Mar 2009, 21:55, edited 2 times in total.

John (Gold)

25 Oct 2003, 17:56 #47

What was life really like living in that never-ending cycle of nicotine feedings? Can you still recall the yellowish tars, stink, ash and packs that labeled you addicted to a far greater number of folks around you than you then probably realized?
With each passing year nicotine dependency is moving more toward its rightful place beside traditional chemical dependencies and as it does the anxieties of those still actively captive will likely escalate unless they can find new lies to fortify their thickening wall of denial. Image

Have you tried to get through to a smoker lately? It isn't as easy as you might think. They're each no different than we were in-between our priceless periods of confidence during which we made that mad dash for freedom that, on average, happened once every three years.

Like it or not, authorization to engage in selective indoor burning is on the decline around the globe as non-smokers assert that they should not be forced to breathe and smell like the 4,000+ chemicals released by each cigarette.

Remembering what it was like living an addict's life is important to protecting here and now. Watch smokers, study them and see them standing alone outside in the wind, rain or cold for the act it truly is - mandatory chemical replenishment
Last edited by John (Gold) on 16 Feb 2009, 03:02, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

13 Nov 2003, 12:05 #48

Is being you worth protecting?
Is your freedom real?
Is life worth saving?
Just one rule -
No nicotine!
NTAP!

AMD33 (gold)

13 Nov 2003, 12:54 #49

Thanks for this thread, as always, and thanks to Freedom.

I'm almost at 2 years and I just wanted to let you know that I am still here with you :)

-Jessica aka AMD33
Celebrating freedom for one year, eleven months, three weeks, one day, 7 hours, 23 minutes and 24 seconds. 7213 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,893.32. Life saved: 3 weeks, 4 days, 1 hour, 5 minutes.

John (Gold)

24 Dec 2003, 20:28 #50

Are those who forget the past destined to repeat it?
Not necessarily but it does make relapse easier.
Last edited by John (Gold) on 16 Feb 2009, 02:55, edited 1 time in total.