Caring for Our Recovery

Pelican1(Bronze)

21 Oct 2002, 08:25 #31

Comming up on day 11, I have been reading everyday somtimes all day long it seems, and these threads have been the one thing that has kept me free from falling, thankyou,,,,but today especially right now I can't seem to shake this crave,,,, I have drank enough water to float a small ship,,lol
My house hasn't been cleaned this intensly in a long time,,,so there are some really wonderful things happening I love not smelling like an ashtray,
and I really like the idea of not being a slave to cigs., every 20 minutes

Ya know I just talked my way thru that crave,,,yea!!!!
Thankyou all for the threads that keep me in line with the truth
Pelican
1 week 3 days 23 hours

MareBear GOLD

22 Oct 2002, 08:04 #32

Funny this thread should come up today. It's the only one that I chose to have replies emailed to me, because you never know when you're going to get complacent (complacency is funny that way Image) or when something is going to happen that will make your junky mind snap awake and into action. I found out this morning that I've had a miscarriage (I'm not saying this to solicit sympathetic responses, I have a great support group at home for that Image Image) and if I wasn't on my toes about my addiction I believe I'd have smoked one or two packs by now. But even though I did think about a cigarette, I never actually craved one and I never considered trying to procure one. I thought about cigarettes, but not about actually having one. It simply isn't an option. This is my first major life situation since ending my relationship with nicotine, and I believe I'm healthier emotionally as well as physically because of it.

Nicotine doesn't solve problems; it creates more!

MareBear

Not a puff for: 4 Months 3 Weeks 2 Days. Cigarettes not smoked: 2918, saving me $452.39.

John (Gold)

14 Nov 2002, 07:08 #33

Chris asked in another post why someone with a ten year quit would relapse. It isn't all that uncommon as some of our members can attest. Anyway, I hope this explanation helps a bit Chris.

joyous1 Bronze

26 Nov 2002, 17:57 #34

This is definitely a keeper. Thanks

John (Gold)

06 Dec 2002, 02:53 #35

As we move further into the Holiday Season I hope that each of us will employ a bit of extra caution in safeguarding our quits, health, and very possibily our lives from all holiday risk factors! To keep my freedom I need only follow one simple rule - Never Take Another Puff!
Happy Holidays Freedom! John : )

John (Gold)

18 Dec 2002, 11:33 #36

Image If there is any one month of the year when we found more excuses for not quitting than any other month it was probably December but our logic was flawed. What better month that to give ourselves a loving gift or remind ourselves of the wonderful healing happening inside than December? What better month to meet, greet and defeat so many different types of triggers than a month that causes us to confront so many different aspects of life? This is a wonderful time to begin our new life and also a wonderful time to celebate this very special gift. Happy Holidays Freedom! John : )

OBob Gold

04 Jan 2003, 09:37 #37

Just a great thread that I haven't read for a while.... Image

(Hi Jessica!)

John (Gold)

13 Jan 2003, 21:59 #38

The Final Truth
A twenty year smoker who averaged a pack a day and took eight puffs per cigarette lit 146,000 cigarettes and sucked warm nicotine laden smoke into crying and decaying lungs 1,168,000 times. Over one million puffs!

Where do the memories of those one million puffs go after we quit smoking? Where are they now? How many of those one million puffs made our mind say "aaah" as they immediately helped restore our falling blood-serum nicotine level? Where did all of our "aaah" memories go when we quit? Were they true? Did new nicotine bring us a sense of replenishment and stimulation thousands upon thousands of times? Absolutely!

Unless replenished, the amount of nicotine remaining in our blood streaImagem would be reduced by half within two hours. Although most of us hated our bondage, there is no denying that each of those 146,000 nicotine fixes helped - to some degree - bring relief from constantly falling blood serum nicotine levels that were carrying each of us closer to experiencing those first sign of early chemical withdrawal.

Yes, each and every fix played a vital role in restoring our minds to a level of comfort upon which we had come to depend. We created our own artificial sense of nicotine/dopamine normalcy, our own addiction comfort level that each year may have required a bit more nicotine to sustain. Yes, each fix brought the addict in us a true sense of comfort -- from the pains of our own addiction -- and yes all those memories still remain, but one important thing has changed, our mind's chemical need for more nicotine ended within 2 weeks. Within 3 weeks our brain and restored a4b2-type acetylcholine receptor counts in at least 13 different brain regions to those seen in non-smokers.

If you could go back through old Freedom's 1999 and 2000 relapse threads (before our relapse policy began evolving) and read all of the descriptions of relapses that occurred beyond week two, they sound strikingly similar. They read like this:

"I tasted a mouth full of warm smoke, I remembered the smell, I felt dizzy and wanted to cough but I didn't get the sense of satisfaction, that sense of relief, that I'd expected. It just didn't come!"
Those thousands of enticing memories in the relapsor's mind told them to expect a sense of relief and satisfaction" but their body had adjusted to life without nicotine. Although nicotine did stimulate their brain's dopamine pathways, their brain wasn't in a state of dopamine deprivation, they were feeling no early anxieties that needed quieting and the expected sense of relief wasn't there. It didn't arrive. Unlike when the thousands of replenishment aaah memories in their mind were created, there was nothing missing and there was nothing that needed replenishing. So what happened next?

Well, sadly, most of us couldn't help but continue believing in those thousands of memories created by an actively feeding drug addict. We kept searching inside that cigarette or the next. Soon we borrowed another or bought our own pack and it wasn't long before we again had our addiction churning in all its full-blown destructive and deadly glory. We could then look in the mirror and say to themselves, "see, I was right, smoking did bring me a sense of relief!"

Until we fully appreciate that our memories of our "perfect aaah smokes" were created during a cycle of our chemical dependency and that we must once again be active addicts in order to experience that same sense of relief, the memories of prior fixes elevating our sagging blood serum nicotine level will continue inviting us home. Yes, the memories are true but only for active addicts in need a fix.

Regardless of whether the next few minutes are your most comfortable yet or in the end prove to have been the most challenging of this entire temporary journey of readjustment, they will be doable! There is only one rule - no nicotine from any source - Never Take Another Puff, Dip or Chew!
Breathe deep, hug hard, live long Freedom!

John
Last edited by John (Gold) on 16 Feb 2009, 02:36, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

24 Feb 2003, 22:10 #39

Protecting and Renewing
Our Reasoned Quest

What allowed us to skip all those once mandatory nicotine feedings that continue to build on our quit-counters? Strength, willImagepower, strategy? It would be natural to think that it's a combination of the three but none of us are stronger than our addiction, as is clearly evidenced by our inability to live the nicotine addict's dream - to control the uncontrollable.

Yes, we can each temporarily muster mountains of willpower but can willpower make any human endure a challenge that they lack the core motivation to complete? If we are incapable of using strength to control our addiction and we can't "will" our chemical dependency into hibernation, then what remains?

Strategy begins with honest simple motives that desire and emotion gradually build into one or more reasoned motivations. The successful quitter finds ways to protect and safeguard their reasoned justifications for wanting to be free, so that they remain robust, alive and available to fuel the patience needed to transition this temporary period of adjustment called "quitting." The intelligent quitter's strategy combines an understanding of the law of addiction - one puff, dip or chew of nicotine equals relapse - with well-protected core motivations.

The intelligent quitter realizes that if they allow their motivations to die that it is highly likely that their freedom and healing will die along with them. The intelligent quitter finds ways to recall and revive their once vivid memories of the horrors of dependency and their dreams of freedom so as to re-fuel their motivations.

The one day at a time philosophy that allowed us to make early cessation manageable by focusing only upon the task at hand will naturally seem to grow a bit less significant as the periods of extended comfort begin to build. You'll read message after message from long-term Freedomites who know the law of addiction but who have gone for months and months without a single challenge.

But they do not return to Freedom and read the concerns and struggles of our newest arrivals out of a sense of boredom. Nor are their honest gifts of hope without benefit to them. They are here, for the most part, because they deeply love their freedom. Their intelligence - and sometimes a brief encounter with a memory driven urge - have called them home to renew and invigorate fading memories of one of the most amazing journeys that most have ever made.

Each of us are 100% guaranteed to continue free today if we'll only maintain and protect that horrors and hopes of our original day #1 dream to ... Never Take Another Puff, Dip or Chew!

John

P.S. If just getting starated I recommend that you post to our parades as often as time permits. Celebration damages and destroys negativism. It fuels the spirit!

Last edited by John (Gold) on 16 Feb 2009, 02:53, edited 2 times in total.

John (Gold)

11 Mar 2003, 07:05 #40

Image For Lydia
Lydia, the further along our quit evolves the fewer daily reminders we have of just how bad things once were. The stink that was us is long gone and so is the cough, the wheezing, our yellow fingers and that extra layer of body oil that came from 4,000+ burning chemicals. When's the last time you had to jump in the car and head for the nearest nicotine merchant? When's the last time you badly needed to smoke but couldn't, stood outside in the cold but didn't want to, or dreamed about quitting but doubted the possibility? When is the last time you pulled hard earned money from your purse and paid to destroy a little more of your excess lung capacity? When is the last time you felt like a social outcast? Once vivid memories of living life from inside a pack are vivid no more.

It's good you've returned to recharge your batteries! If you did make a list of reasons for quitting I encourage you to read it through the eyes of lady who wrote it. There is no such thing as just one and there is still only one rule - Never Take Another Puff! John