Caring for Our Recovery

Triin (GOLD)

22 Mar 2001, 23:40 #11

Hi Zep!

You wrote:
"In every drug comparison research study that I've been able to locate (three so far) nicotine has ranked first in "dependence" when compared to heroin, cocaine or alcohol".
Could you provide us with the links of those studies (if they are on Internet)? It is really interesting.

Thanks in advance,
Triin
I have been Quit for: 1M 17h 39m 16s. I have NOT smoked 634, for a savings of $43.64. Life Saved: 2D 4h 50m.

Piper

23 Mar 2001, 00:02 #12

Thank you Zep!
Haven't posted in quiet some time, in constant competion for computer time with kids and spouse. Feeling very good about my quit I yeild to them.
Out of the blue yesterday I found myself covinced that I could handle "one...just one". I was scheming, planning for about 3 hours, maybe longer, this went on. I even selected the smoker I was going to bum from, a person who wouldn't tell. The only reason I didn't smoke was because of my former closet smoker mentality. The opportunity never presented itself to discretely hit him up. Dumb luck. Out of frustration I gave up! Packed up my tools, came home, logged on, and here it was...excactly what I needed to read. Couldn't find the words yesterday...ashamed I guess for even entertaining the idea. It's dominated my thoughts and I am sill pretty shook up...I'm scared and will not let go of that fear...it'll keep me honest
Happy to report I am still smoke free and will be green next Monday!

Kristin
3 weeks and 2 days

John (Gold)

23 Mar 2001, 07:06 #13

Dear Triin,

I tried posting some articles for but hidden HTML codes really messed up the entire thread. I'm going to try a little different approach this time. The three studies I was referencing were the 1988 U.S. Surgeon General's Report by Dr. Koop, and two articles I've cited in "Nicodemon's Lies. I doubt we'll locate full texts of the studies online but abstracts are available. Here are a few of good links that contain brief abstracts of most of the work in drug comparison over the past decade. If you run into any other good materials please share the link.

Be careful in searching as Phillip Morris and other drug manufacturers have funded lots of "scientific" research with findings to the contrary and now NRT drug manufactures have found scientists who'll say that nicotine may be addictive but our nicotine is wonderful! A couple of these are not very detailed but still reinforce the fact that the findings around the world are producing similar results. The last Turkey article was very early, May 1991, but very telling in regard to NRT. Nicotine marketing has improved tremendously in just a decade. I'm off to class!

American Council on Science & Health, August 5th, 2000

Triin (GOLD)

23 Mar 2001, 18:06 #14

Thank you, Zep, so much, the articles were very interesting. It's striking truth, isn't it? I was so suprised when I first read how addictive nicotine is. I believe most of the people don't know it. It drives me crazy when I ask people why they smoke, and they answer "oh, it's a bad habit" I want to yell at them: "NO, It's NOT a habit, it's a DEADLY ADDICTION, you have to acknowledge it some time!!!"

Also, Zep, good luck with running these anti-smoking programs Image

And Kristin - it's nice to see you! I was wondering where have you been...

Triin
I have been Quit for: 1M 1D 12h 5m 10s. I have NOT smoked 650, for a savings of $44.69. Life Saved: 2D 6h 10m.

JimD (Green)

23 Mar 2001, 18:59 #15

Hey Zep...Thanks for this post...it was a great review of where I've been and where I'm going today as I celebrate 3 months of Freedom...Getting comfortable now, but I know the dangers of that from past experience, so thanks for the reminders!
YQB,
Jim D.

paula

13 May 2001, 15:16 #16

Right On Zep! Every time I think I'm losing it, I tune in to you all and get a handle to hold. Thank You again...for much help thru these 9 weeks of sometimes madness, sometimes proud and happy to be me without the habit...Peace and Love from Paula (63 days w/o a puff)

Joanne Gold

23 Jun 2001, 02:45 #17

For our newbies, for all of us.
Keep your eye on the prize!
One day at a time....Image

John (Gold)

14 Jul 2001, 06:19 #18

We care for our recovery as if our life depends on it.

Because it likely does!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 16 Feb 2009, 01:59, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

30 Jul 2001, 19:58 #19

The Endless Cycle of Defeat & Decay
Forget the concept of "just one" or "the perfect smoke," this is where a single puff would take us! But, we will never be forced to face the thousands of nico-fixes it will bring us, if we simply remain strong enough to defeat that very first puff of nicotine.
We each must die someday, but not today, not as an addict, and when we do hopefully healthy! The comfort becomes complete! Enjoy your healing!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 16 Feb 2009, 02:01, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

11 Aug 2001, 18:48 #20

ImageImage

Last edited by John (Gold) on 16 Feb 2009, 02:03, edited 1 time in total.