Bringing negative posts to the top

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

17 Mar 2004, 13:18 #41

For the record, if the string in question gets responded to again we will pull the string and likely pull the posting privileges of the person popping it up. If at any time in the future a member sees a post that clearly fits into this category, meaning a crisis post being brought up after the crisis has passed, feel free to attach a comment like Bill did in this case. Make sure to write in that comment that the post is now at risk of being pulled and that any member kicking the post to the top is at real risk of losing his or her membership.

Joel

17 Mar 2004, 17:40 #42

Be cognizant of how you title your strings. The post below discusses why:
Its sometimes tricky running a board such as ours. Some past strings have great content and using them for an example or a point of reference can be a great benefit for new readers. But as this post covers, sometimes the title is the only thing that a lot of people are going to read and that message alone can start a chain reaction of negative postings or just leaving a person looking in thinking that a person or various people are in trouble of having a harder time than is actually occurring.

Today we had the post God I Want a Cigarette!!!! brought up. It is in fact a great string illustrating how a person who in the early days of a quit and sounding and feeling that quitting is impossible can develop into a strong and secure ex-smoker who very rarely if ever experiences any such moments months or years into his or her quit. To some degree this illustrates an almost universal experience to most ex-smokers.

But again, when it is brought to the top the string poses a problem. The best way to avoid this complication and still use benefit from use of the string is to keep the original string down by not attaching any new posts to it, and using a new string linking over to it and saying how that string serves as a great example of how a person will become stronger over time.

Here is an example illustrating what I mean, using the exact post that was utilized this morning.

Start a new string with a title like:

"It really gets better over time," or "An example of how it gets better over time."

Then in the body write something to the effect:

"When people are first quitting smoking they often feel that quitting smoking is impossible and life will be a constant battle of trying to stay smoke free. But this is not how it will be for the vast majority of people. Even if you are having an absolutely terrible time now, know that this is temporary and it will soon be much better.

A good case in point can be seen by reading the post, God I Want a Cigarette!!!! Just a notice of caution, please do read this post but do not reply to it. If you do it will elevate it to the top and give the board that the person who wrote it is currently in trouble which is clearly not the case. (see the string Bringing negative posts to the top that discusses this issue)

In that post you will see how a person who sounded as if she were on the verge and likely feeling that she was going to lose a quit has become one of our many multi-year success story."

By using a technique like this, you will still get the value of the original string without leaving anyone quickly reading the board thinking that there is a crisis happening. By putting in the link to Bringing negative posts to the top you are even educating anyone reading on how to be careful not to respond and create a similar negative post himself or herself when reading the suggested link.

We have a great wealth of experience and information in our past posts and want people to feel free in being able to utilize these strings. Lets do it in a way that keeps our board being as positive as it deserves to be. Quitting smoking is a good and positive thing and nobody should ever have the impression that being an ex-smoker was a bad choice. Becoming an ex-smoker is one of the greatest decisions and one of the greatest accomplishments that all of our members and all successful ex-smokers have ever pulled off. We want everyone here to always recognize this fact and to always stay happy, strong and resolute in his or her decision to never take another puff!

Joel

Angelicrosegonegreen1

25 Mar 2004, 02:06 #44

Hi Joel,
Thank you for this very informative post. I will try to take all these things into consideration when I post from now on. I hope I havent been doing or saying the wrong things so far.
It is sort of difficult to navigate all of this stuff in the beginning. I dont know how everyone remembers where and who they responded to. I dont know how to post links to your library or from others posts. It is funny now but in the beginning I didnt really even get what a "thread"was. If you have any links for me on that stuff I would appreciate it.
Also- a question. Do you not want us to respond to posts that have been up for more than a few days already?? Or is this only for crisis posts that have been resolved? Can I read an older one and make a comment about it?
Thanks again for the clarifying read. You put everything in such good perspectiveImage Now- I just have to find a way to bookmark this one to come back to now and again.........
Kathleen - Free and Healing for Twenty One Days, 12 Hours and 45 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 2 Hours, by avoiding the use of 323 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $142.24.

Angelicrosegonegreen1

25 Mar 2004, 02:10 #45

Oh my goodness!
After I sent my last post I just noticed the date on your post I was responding to. Disregard these if you wish. By the way- when does this fuzzy thinking go awayImage
Kathleen

Joel

27 Mar 2004, 21:13 #46

Joel

02 Apr 2004, 22:04 #47

Joel

02 Apr 2004, 22:09 #48

Its sometimes tricky running a board such as ours. Some past strings have great content and using them for an example or a point of reference can be a great benefit for new readers. But as this post covers, sometimes the title is the only thing that a lot of people are going to read and that message alone can start a chain reaction of negative postings or just leaving a person looking in thinking that a person or various people are in trouble of having a harder time than is actually occurring.

Today we had the post God I Want a Cigarette!!!! brought up. It is in fact a great string illustrating how a person who in the early days of a quit and sounding and feeling that quitting is impossible can develop into a strong and secure ex-smoker who very rarely if ever experiences any such moments months or years into his or her quit. To some degree this illustrates an almost universal experience to most ex-smokers.

But again, when it is brought to the top the string poses a problem. The best way to avoid this complication and still use benefit from use of the string is to keep the original string down by not attaching any new posts to it, and using a new string linking over to it and saying how that string serves as a great example of how a person will become stronger over time.

Here is an example illustrating what I mean, using the exact post that was utilized this morning.

Start a new string with a title like:

"It really gets better over time," or "An example of how it gets better over time."

Then in the body write something to the effect:

"When people are first quitting smoking they often feel that quitting smoking is impossible and life will be a constant battle of trying to stay smoke free. But this is not how it will be for the vast majority of people. Even if you are having an absolutely terrible time now, know that this is temporary and it will soon be much better.

A good case in point can be seen by reading the post, God I Want a Cigarette!!!! Just a notice of caution, please do read this post but do not reply to it. If you do it will elevate it to the top and give the board that the person who wrote it is currently in trouble which is clearly not the case. (see the string Bringing negative posts to the top that discusses this issue)

In that post you will see how a person who sounded as if she were on the verge and likely feeling that she was going to lose a quit has become one of our many multi-year success story."

By using a technique like this, you will still get the value of the original string without leaving anyone quickly reading the board thinking that there is a crisis happening. By putting in the link to Bringing negative posts to the top you are even educating anyone reading on how to be careful not to respond and create a similar negative post himself or herself when reading the suggested link.

We have a great wealth of experience and information in our past posts and want people to feel free in being able to utilize these strings. Lets do it in a way that keeps our board being as positive as it deserves to be. Quitting smoking is a good and positive thing and nobody should ever have the impression that being an ex-smoker was a bad choice. Becoming an ex-smoker is one of the greatest decisions and one of the greatest accomplishments that all of our members and all successful ex-smokers have ever pulled off. We want everyone here to always recognize this fact and to always stay happy, strong and resolute in his or her decision to never take another puff!

Joel

Joanne Gold

13 Apr 2004, 22:01 #49

We had to remove a thread early this morning that was brought back to the top of the board after a manager asked that it not be brought up again. We urge all members to read this thread thoroughly.

Thank you.Image

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

14 Apr 2004, 04:17 #50

For the record, if the string in question gets responded to again we will pull the string and likely pull the posting privileges of the person popping it up. If at any time in the future a member sees a post that clearly fits into this category, meaning a crisis post being brought up after the crisis has passed, feel free to attach a comment like Bill did in this case. Make sure to write in that comment that the post is now at risk of being pulled and that any member kicking the post to the top is at real risk of losing his or her membership.