Bringing negative posts to the top

March 17th, 2004, 1:18 pm #41

For the record, if the string in question gets responded to again we will pull the string and likely pull the posting privileges of the person popping it up. If at any time in the future a member sees a post that clearly fits into this category, meaning a crisis post being brought up after the crisis has passed, feel free to attach a comment like Bill did in this case. Make sure to write in that comment that the post is now at risk of being pulled and that any member kicking the post to the top is at real risk of losing his or her membership.

March 17th, 2004, 5:40 pm #42

Be cognizant of how you title your strings. The post below discusses why:
Its sometimes tricky running a board such as ours. Some past strings have great content and using them for an example or a point of reference can be a great benefit for new readers. But as this post covers, sometimes the title is the only thing that a lot of people are going to read and that message alone can start a chain reaction of negative postings or just leaving a person looking in thinking that a person or various people are in trouble of having a harder time than is actually occurring.

Today we had the post God I Want a Cigarette!!!! brought up. It is in fact a great string illustrating how a person who in the early days of a quit and sounding and feeling that quitting is impossible can develop into a strong and secure ex-smoker who very rarely if ever experiences any such moments months or years into his or her quit. To some degree this illustrates an almost universal experience to most ex-smokers.

But again, when it is brought to the top the string poses a problem. The best way to avoid this complication and still use benefit from use of the string is to keep the original string down by not attaching any new posts to it, and using a new string linking over to it and saying how that string serves as a great example of how a person will become stronger over time.

Here is an example illustrating what I mean, using the exact post that was utilized this morning.

Start a new string with a title like:

"It really gets better over time," or "An example of how it gets better over time."

Then in the body write something to the effect:

"When people are first quitting smoking they often feel that quitting smoking is impossible and life will be a constant battle of trying to stay smoke free. But this is not how it will be for the vast majority of people. Even if you are having an absolutely terrible time now, know that this is temporary and it will soon be much better.

A good case in point can be seen by reading the post, God I Want a Cigarette!!!! Just a notice of caution, please do read this post but do not reply to it. If you do it will elevate it to the top and give the board that the person who wrote it is currently in trouble which is clearly not the case. (see the string Bringing negative posts to the top that discusses this issue)

In that post you will see how a person who sounded as if she were on the verge and likely feeling that she was going to lose a quit has become one of our many multi-year success story."

By using a technique like this, you will still get the value of the original string without leaving anyone quickly reading the board thinking that there is a crisis happening. By putting in the link to Bringing negative posts to the top you are even educating anyone reading on how to be careful not to respond and create a similar negative post himself or herself when reading the suggested link.

We have a great wealth of experience and information in our past posts and want people to feel free in being able to utilize these strings. Lets do it in a way that keeps our board being as positive as it deserves to be. Quitting smoking is a good and positive thing and nobody should ever have the impression that being an ex-smoker was a bad choice. Becoming an ex-smoker is one of the greatest decisions and one of the greatest accomplishments that all of our members and all successful ex-smokers have ever pulled off. We want everyone here to always recognize this fact and to always stay happy, strong and resolute in his or her decision to never take another puff!

Joel

March 25th, 2004, 1:29 am #43

March 25th, 2004, 2:06 am #44

Hi Joel,
Thank you for this very informative post. I will try to take all these things into consideration when I post from now on. I hope I havent been doing or saying the wrong things so far.
It is sort of difficult to navigate all of this stuff in the beginning. I dont know how everyone remembers where and who they responded to. I dont know how to post links to your library or from others posts. It is funny now but in the beginning I didnt really even get what a "thread"was. If you have any links for me on that stuff I would appreciate it.
Also- a question. Do you not want us to respond to posts that have been up for more than a few days already?? Or is this only for crisis posts that have been resolved? Can I read an older one and make a comment about it?
Thanks again for the clarifying read. You put everything in such good perspective Now- I just have to find a way to bookmark this one to come back to now and again.........
Kathleen - Free and Healing for Twenty One Days, 12 Hours and 45 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 2 Hours, by avoiding the use of 323 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $142.24.

March 25th, 2004, 2:10 am #45

Oh my goodness!
After I sent my last post I just noticed the date on your post I was responding to. Disregard these if you wish. By the way- when does this fuzzy thinking go away
Kathleen

March 27th, 2004, 9:13 pm #46

April 2nd, 2004, 10:04 pm #47

April 2nd, 2004, 10:09 pm #48

Its sometimes tricky running a board such as ours. Some past strings have great content and using them for an example or a point of reference can be a great benefit for new readers. But as this post covers, sometimes the title is the only thing that a lot of people are going to read and that message alone can start a chain reaction of negative postings or just leaving a person looking in thinking that a person or various people are in trouble of having a harder time than is actually occurring.

Today we had the post God I Want a Cigarette!!!! brought up. It is in fact a great string illustrating how a person who in the early days of a quit and sounding and feeling that quitting is impossible can develop into a strong and secure ex-smoker who very rarely if ever experiences any such moments months or years into his or her quit. To some degree this illustrates an almost universal experience to most ex-smokers.

But again, when it is brought to the top the string poses a problem. The best way to avoid this complication and still use benefit from use of the string is to keep the original string down by not attaching any new posts to it, and using a new string linking over to it and saying how that string serves as a great example of how a person will become stronger over time.

Here is an example illustrating what I mean, using the exact post that was utilized this morning.

"It really gets better over time," or "An example of how it gets better over time."

"When people are first quitting smoking they often feel that quitting smoking is impossible and life will be a constant battle of trying to stay smoke free. But this is not how it will be for the vast majority of people. Even if you are having an absolutely terrible time now, know that this is temporary and it will soon be much better.

A good case in point can be seen by reading the post, God I Want a Cigarette!!!! Just a notice of caution, please do read this post but do not reply to it. If you do it will elevate it to the top and give the board that the person who wrote it is currently in trouble which is clearly not the case. (see the string Bringing negative posts to the top that discusses this issue)

In that post you will see how a person who sounded as if she were on the verge and likely feeling that she was going to lose a quit has become one of our many multi-year success story."

By using a technique like this, you will still get the value of the original string without leaving anyone quickly reading the board thinking that there is a crisis happening. By putting in the link to Bringing negative posts to the top you are even educating anyone reading on how to be careful not to respond and create a similar negative post himself or herself when reading the suggested link.

We have a great wealth of experience and information in our past posts and want people to feel free in being able to utilize these strings. Lets do it in a way that keeps our board being as positive as it deserves to be. Quitting smoking is a good and positive thing and nobody should ever have the impression that being an ex-smoker was a bad choice. Becoming an ex-smoker is one of the greatest decisions and one of the greatest accomplishments that all of our members and all successful ex-smokers have ever pulled off. We want everyone here to always recognize this fact and to always stay happy, strong and resolute in his or her decision to never take another puff!

Joel

April 13th, 2004, 10:01 pm #49

We had to remove a thread early this morning that was brought back to the top of the board after a manager asked that it not be brought up again. We urge all members to read this thread thoroughly.

Thank you.

April 14th, 2004, 4:17 am #50

For the record, if the string in question gets responded to again we will pull the string and likely pull the posting privileges of the person popping it up. If at any time in the future a member sees a post that clearly fits into this category, meaning a crisis post being brought up after the crisis has passed, feel free to attach a comment like Bill did in this case. Make sure to write in that comment that the post is now at risk of being pulled and that any member kicking the post to the top is at real risk of losing his or her membership.

April 29th, 2004, 8:48 am #51

Let negative threads drop once the original poster reports they are out of danger!

April 29th, 2004, 11:58 pm #52

We just pulled an entire string that fits into this category. A manager put up a notice that the crisis had passed and to let it drop and a few minutes later a member popped it up.

June 10th, 2004, 6:48 am #53

Joel

June 28th, 2004, 5:43 am #54

July 8th, 2004, 8:53 am #55

July 27th, 2004, 9:55 pm #56

Joel

August 18th, 2004, 6:55 pm #57

Joel

August 24th, 2004, 9:03 pm #58

Joel

August 29th, 2004, 7:02 am #59

We just pulled a membership of a person who popped up a four day old string that had the following message on it:
Recommend Delete Message 32 of 33 in Discussion
Bringing negative posts to the top after the crisis has passed

Read the link above that explains of why we ask that strings that are talking about a problem that has been resolved be allowed to drop.

Let this post drop.

I am going to copy and paste an additional message here that we have been bringing up regularly in our A Message From The Managers thread:
Besides this we have an active string on the board titled
Our Courtesies and Rules - 2003
We seem to be encountering a problem with many members, usually newer ones, who are apparently not aware that we have a strictly enforced code of conduct here at Freedom. We have a page at Freedom titled
Our Courtesies that all people applying for membership are asked to read and then required to say that they accept all of terms within.

January 9th, 2005, 10:19 am #60

Its sometimes tricky running a board such as ours. Some past strings have great content and using them for an example or a point of reference can be a great benefit for new readers. But as this post covers, sometimes the title is the only thing that a lot of people are going to read and that message alone can start a chain reaction of negative postings or just leaving a person looking in thinking that a person or various people are in trouble of having a harder time than is actually occurring. Today we had the post God I Want a Cigarette!!!! brought up. It is in fact a great string illustrating how a person who in the early days of a quit and sounding and feeling that quitting is impossible can develop into a strong and secure ex-smoker who very rarely if ever experiences any such moments months or years into his or her quit. To some degree this illustrates an almost universal experience to most ex-smokers.

By using a technique like this, you will still get the value of the original string without leaving anyone quickly reading the board thinking that there is a crisis happening. By putting in the link to Bringing negative posts to the top you are even educating anyone reading on how to be careful not to respond and create a similar negative post himself or herself when reading the suggested link. We have a great wealth of experience and information in our past posts and want people to feel free in being able to utilize these strings. Lets do it in a way that keeps our board being as positive as it deserves to be. Quitting smoking is a good and positive thing and nobody should ever have the impression that being an ex-smoker was a bad choice. Becoming an ex-smoker is one of the greatest decisions and one of the greatest accomplishments that all of our members and all successful ex-smokers have ever pulled off. We want everyone here to always recognize this fact and to always stay happy, strong and resolute in his or her decision to never take another puff!

Joel

January 9th, 2005, 8:31 pm #61

Being that I popped this post up twice in the past two days I don't want to give the impression that we really need to bring it up often. If you actually look back in the thread we only pop it up once or twice a month--and sometimes even a month go by and we don't use it. I bring it up whenever the situation occurs when a crisis post is continually popped to the top once it is clear that the crisis has passed.

Yesterday, a member kept putting up a titled simply "HELP!." Writing "Help" or "SOS" is generally going to bring a quick response and a higher number of responses than a simple title like "needing a little help, or a little support, or information." If a person really is in crisis then a more drastic title may be necessary. In yesterday's case it was a person who clearly wrote in the post that his or her quit was not in jeopardy and that he or she was just upset about a friend who had relapsed.

Late last night we had a longer-term member put up a HELP titled post because for the first time in months he or she was feeling tempted after going to a concert. Within a matter of minutes she replied to the string, basically retracting the urgency of the request. I appreciate that he or she did this retraction. There will be times when a person periodically hits a trigger circumstance that can create a sense of insecurity and fear. As time goes on though these events will happen less frequently and will probably not have a long duration.

Since the person retracted his or her own urgent request for help I pulled the string this morning. Generally, we don't often have to pull strings and I don't want to leave anyone thinking it is a common practice around here. Again, whenever I do it I pull up this string, or in the event when we pull or edit a string for a rules violation I bring up the Courtesy and Rules thread that explains why. A very small percent of posts ever end up having to get pulled or edited.

I just want all members to be cognizant of how the title their posts. Titles that are alarming may get quicker attention, but they are going to have a short life-span on the board. They are either going to get a "Let it drop" warning once the crisis has passed or end up disappearing all together. Also, if any member obviously becomes a regular attention seeker at Freedom he or she is going to lose his or her posting privileges. He or she will still be able to have access to read and get all of the same information that we make available at Freedom and at www.whyquit.com, but he or she will never have the ability to ask specific questions to the general membership.

I feel I should point out, almost no other smoking cessation support site tries to maintain this level of control of their site. Some people may find the tactic very restrictive and intimidating, but most of the people who join this site are doing so because they want to stay clear and focused and in control of their quit. We don't want anyone reading here at Freedom to think that spinning out of control is standard fare for ex-smokers. Sometimes people find themselves in situations where life is spinning out of control because of external circumstances. The bottom line for successful ex-smokers is that no matter what events are happening in their live causing them problems, and no matter how much they may find themselves wanting a cigarette under certain circumstances, that they realize that they don't want to go back to full-fledged smoking and accept all of the health and life-threatening complications along with the host of other problems that go with relapsing onto nicotine.

No matter how much a person ever finds him or herself wanting "a cigarette" he or she will get through the moment with his or her quit strong and secure as long as he or she sticks to the personal commitment that he or she made to him or herself when joining up here to never take another puff!

Joel

January 10th, 2005, 12:38 am #62

From above post from this morning:
I just want all members to be cognizant of how the title their posts. Titles that are alarming may get quicker attention, but they are going to have a short life-span on the board. They are either going to get a "Let it drop" warning once the crisis has passed or end up disappearing all together. Also, if any member obviously becomes a regular attention seeker at Freedom he or she is going to lose his or her posting privileges. He or she will still be able to have access to read and get all of the same information that we make available at Freedom and at www.whyquit.com, but he or she will never have the ability to ask specific questions to the general membership.

January 10th, 2005, 2:04 am #63

I wanted to take a moment to say that I was the girl who posted in the wee hours of the morning, looking for help, then retracted my plea after calming myself and realizing that I had, in fact already won by making it home with no cigarettes in hand, then after I e-mailed Joel thanking him for retracting my post I did see the reference to my post here in this thread, "bringing negative posts to the top" and was relieved to see that Joel had removed it, as I woke up this morning wishing I could delete it myself.

After spending some time reading last night and this morning, I feel very much back to my old self...thank goodness.

I know I will always remember last night as a night I don't want to repeat, just as the early days of withdrawal...so it was a good lesson for me as well.

The links Joel brought up for me this morning as well as OBob's link in my diary, and the well thought out words Gitte were just what I needed and have brought me out of red alert status for certain...as did my own thoughts almost immediately after posting last night.

So many emotions, so many thoughts but just one rule...and I intend to follow it with vigor...I'm never going to take another puff. I do believe that was my most "un-calm" moment in my quit...glad it's over. Just a wee bit of a panic, but it's passed.

So here's to a collective sigh of relief on a snowy Sunday morning. And a heartfelt thanks to Joel, Bob, Gitte and all those who post here.

Sue - Very Bronze and Getting Stronger

January 10th, 2005, 6:53 am #64

This thread is getting quite a workout today. There was another "Help" thread put up this morning at 9:15 am. addressed by numerous members and was then told to be allowed to drop at 10:28 am.

The closing message in that 10:28 am post was:
Being that a few people have already responded to this threat and appropriate materials have been referred to the author we are now requesting that this post be allowed to drop. Popping it up will result in the thread being pulled and the member popping it up losing posting privileges. Let this post drop!
Then a new member popped it up at 4:06 pm. That member lost his or her membership. All members need to be aware of this rule as well as all of our rules. We don't take pulling memberships lightly here.

Just a word of warning, if you ever see the warning of "Let this post drop" in big highlighted letters and for some reason you want to keep a copy of the string, copy and paste it to your local computer for there is a real chance that the thread will be pulled if any member pops it up.

The more that our members read and learn about our operation the lesser the chance that they will ever lose posting privileges. More importantly though, the more that all of our members and non-members read and learn here about nicotine addiction, the more resolute they will always stay in their decision to never take another puff!

Joel

January 14th, 2005, 10:39 am #65

Just a word of warning, if you ever see the warning of "Let this post drop" in big highlighted letters and for some reason you want to keep a copy of the string, copy and paste it to your local computer for there is a real chance that the thread will be pulled if any member pops it up.

The more that our members read and learn about our operation the lesser the chance that they will ever lose posting privileges. More importantly though, the more that all of our members and non-members read and learn here about nicotine addiction, the more resolute they will always stay in their decision to never take another puff!