Bringing negative posts to the top

Joel

17 Dec 2002, 23:30 #11

Sorry Rick, I edited my post above while you were responding to it. I had some pretty bad sentence structure in one part. Actually there were a few parts that were not structured well but I let the others go. I think you were responding to this post so your reply here may seem a little out of sequence.

Joel

29 Dec 2002, 02:04 #12

Its sometimes tricky running a board such as ours. Some past strings have great content and using them for an example or a point of reference can be a great benefit for new readers. But as this post covers, sometimes the title is the only thing that a lot of people are going to read and that message alone can start a chain reaction of negative postings or just leaving a person looking in thinking that a person or various people are in trouble of having a harder time than is actually occurring.

Today we had the post God I Want a Cigarette!!!! brought up. It is in fact a great string illustrating how a person who in the early days of a quit and sounding and feeling that quitting is impossible can develop into a strong and secure ex-smoker who very rarely if ever experiences any such moments months or years into his or her quit. To some degree this illustrates an almost universal experience to most ex-smokers.

But again, when it is brought to the top the string poses a problem. The best way to avoid this complication and still use benefit from use of the string is to keep the original string down by not attaching any new posts to it, and using a new string linking over to it and saying how that string serves as a great example of how a person will become stronger over time.

Here is an example illustrating what I mean, using the exact post that was utilized this morning.

Start a new string with a title like:

"It really gets better over time," or "An example of how it gets better over time."

Then in the body write something to the effect:

"When people are first quitting smoking they often feel that quitting smoking is impossible and life will be a constant battle of trying to stay smoke free. But this is not how it will be for the vast majority of people. Even if you are having an absolutely terrible time now, know that this is temporary and it will soon be much better.

A good case in point can be seen by reading the post, God I Want a Cigarette!!!! Just a notice of caution, please do read this post but do not reply to it. If you do it will elevate it to the top and give the board that the person who wrote it is currently in trouble which is clearly not the case. (see the string Bringing negative posts to the top that discusses this issue)

In that post you will see how a person who sounded as if she were on the verge and likely feeling that she was going to lose a quit has become one of our many multi-year success story."

By using a technique like this, you will still get the value of the original string without leaving anyone quickly reading the board thinking that there is a crisis happening. By putting in the link to Bringing negative posts to the top you are even educating anyone reading on how to be careful not to respond and create a similar negative post himself or herself when reading the suggested link.

We have a great wealth of experience and information in our past posts and want people to feel free in being able to utilize these strings. Lets do it in a way that keeps our board being as positive as it deserves to be. Quitting smoking is a good and positive thing and nobody should ever have the impression that being an ex-smoker was a bad choice. Becoming an ex-smoker is one of the greatest decisions and one of the greatest accomplishments that all of our members and all successful ex-smokers have ever pulled off. We want everyone here to always recognize this fact and to always stay happy, strong and resolute in his or her decision to never take another puff!

Joel

Parker GOLD

21 Jan 2003, 22:29 #13

Luke (green)

21 Jan 2003, 23:09 #14

This message has been deleted by the author.

Luke (green)

21 Jan 2003, 23:11 #15

Hi Joel

Im a little confused as to what all these mails actually mean?? It could have been me that didnt respond? and this whole concept of mails to the top.. the top of what.. sorry I dont follow any of what you have said nor what anyone else has said in this posting (or is it called a thread). Is there a link somewhere that I need to read to understand what we need to know to use this forum? Does this explain why the post "where are you from" was at the top (assuming the top is the top of the page) yesterday? If I open a post does it bring it to the top.. the top of my screen or the top of everyones? When can I write something: anytime just to share progress or only in an emergency? What sort of info do we want to bring to the top? And last who decides that the posting or thread should and must be at the top (what ever the top is)?
Please enlighten me. Sorry Joel I even got confused writing this!

Luke
Quit now for 2W 16H 57M

GrumpyOMrsS (Gold)

21 Jan 2003, 23:27 #16

here you go, Luke.....it's all explained here

Our Courtesies
How to Post

marypGold

21 Jan 2003, 23:44 #17

ImageThanks Joel and Mrs Grumpy for bringing this to the top.The last couple of days has got me down seeing the same post at the top every time I looked or so it seemed.Thank you again Mrs. Grumpy for making my day brighter and not having to look at the same post over and over.

Winnie

Joel

22 Jan 2003, 03:05 #18

Hello Luke:

It's all pretty simple. If you reply to a post you bring it to the top. So by me replying to this one now it is now brought up. I am not sure what you are referring to in thinking you were the man who had not responded. The original person to who this article was referring to was written back in mid-December. In fact, I was not the person to bring this one to the top today, it was another member who was seeing that a similar episode was being repeated. This was a somewhat tricky concept to bring out without hurting people's feelings and I spent quite a bit of time in the latter posts trying to clarify the reasoning behind the concept. If you read the entire string above though I think it will really help you to understand the importance of the original post. We are just trying not to create an artificially appearance of negativity to the board as a whole. Negative posts are addressed and we try to bring the member posting around to see the positives of not smoking. Hopefully that will help him or her move on to a more positive state that will be much more conducive to helping him or her and every one else reading here to stay happily committed to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

08 Feb 2003, 04:36 #19

I just deleted a string that was brought up to the top. When a manager writes that we want to let a string drop down because of the issues discussed here we ask all members to honor that request. If the person who was having a specific problem wants to bring up the string because they are still having the problem, that might be a legitmate reason to raise it again. But for another member to raise it because they want to congratulate the person of a milestone or to add additional comments, it is doing exactly what this post is talking about.

The string got deleted today precisely because this is what a member did. Where back on January 21 a manager put up the message that it was time to let this string drop, now two weeks later a member raised it saying that he or she knew it was against the rules but he or she was going to do it anyway. It resulted in the loss of the entire string.

Generally we don't like to delete strings if we can help it, but it is the one way that we can enforce policies that we have in place. Please honor our courtesy and rules here at Freedom, they are here to make this site the most effective it can be, for new members and old members alike. To stay a member with posting privileges stick within our proper code of conduct which is spelled out in our Courtesy and Rules thread. To stay a member of the race of living and healthy human beings no longer being controlled by a chemical substance always remember to never take another puff!

Joel