Breaking Links to Our Crave Generator

Subconscious use cue extinguishment
Jonesdance1

14 Sep 2006, 05:05 #31

"We are what we think. Tell yourself this is hard and it will be. Tell yourself the healing is glorious and it will be. Fear your craves and they will each be nightmares. Believe that you are more powerful than they are, and you will be. Know with every fiber of your being that there is no force or circumstances on planet earth (including the death or illness of a friend or loved one) that can ever cause you to put slow death to your lips again, and you won't! We are what we think! "

That has to be one of the most profound statements ever made on the internet. Thank you so much. I cut and pasted that into my quit reasons.

Waylon

Free from Nicotine for 4 days, 16 hours, 25 minutes.

JoeJFree Gold

04 Feb 2007, 01:45 #32

Using a placebo like a straw or a pen held between your fingers to answer the 'need' of 'habit' in certain situations is, I believe, a dangerous quit threatening 'habit' to develop.

Joel would characterize that action as employing Crutches to Quit Smoking. In my experience I chose to not reinforce those 'habit' needs and decided to live the rest of my life as a 'non-smoker' or' never-smoker' would, knowing full well that I am an Ex-Smoker on one puff probation permanently. Kinda like getting rid of the pacifier or favorite teddy bear or blanket when very young time and adjustment shows us we never needed the comfort of a pacifier when we grow up. The act of picking up and playing with a pen - maybe putting it in your mouth or similarly holding & sucking on a straw - reinforces old behaviors and serves to reinforce the trigger as well. I believe it is leaving the door open for our addicted psyche to come back at us through a chink in our armour of knowledge created by our reacting to & reinforcing a former feeeding cue and reaction. Embrace triggers - yes. Reinforce them - no. You don't need to replace anything cause nothing is missing. The only thing we need to do to quit smoking is to quit smoking. Don't pepetuate any links to your addictive behaviors. It delays moving on to your new life with no need for retention of past behaviors & activities.
InMyHonestOpinion.

JoeJ - Free to be 'just me' 754 days
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 24 Mar 2014, 18:11, edited 2 times in total.

John (Gold)

26 Mar 2007, 19:39 #33

Limbic Activation to Cigarette Smoking Cues Independent of Nicotine Withdrawal:
A Perfusion fMRI Study
Neuropsychopharmacology. March 21, 2007 [Epub ahead of print]
Franklin TR, Wang Z, Wang J, Sciortino N, Harper D, Li Y, Ehrman R, Kampman K, O'brien CP, Detre JA, Childress AR. Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA.
Exposure to cigarette smoking cues can trigger physiological arousal and desire to smoke. The brain substrates of smoking cue-induced craving (CIC) are beginning to be elucidated; however, it has been difficult to study this state independent of the potential contributions of pharmacological withdrawal from nicotine. Pharmacological withdrawal itself may have substantial effects on brain activation to cues, either by obscuring or enhancing it, and as CIC is not reduced by nicotine replacement strategies, its neuro-anatomical substrates may differ. Thus, characterizing CIC is critical for developing effective interventions.
This study used arterial spin-labeled (ASL) perfusion fMRI, and newly developed and highly appetitive, explicit smoking stimuli, to examine neural activity to cigarette CIC in an original experimental design that strongly minimizes contributions from pharmacological withdrawal. Twenty-one smokers (12 females) completed smoking and nonsmoking cue fMRI sessions. Craving self-reports were collected before and after each session. SPM2 software was employed to analyze data.
Blood flow (perfusion) in a priori-selected regions was greater during exposure to smoking stimuli compared to nonsmoking stimuli (p<0.01; corrected) in ventral striatum, amygdala, orbitofrontal cortex, hippocampus, medial thalamus, and left insula. Perfusion positively correlated with intensity of cigarette CIC in both the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex (r(2)=0.54) and posterior cingulate (r(2)=0.53).
This pattern of activation that includes the ventral striatum, a critical reward substrate, and the interconnected amygdala, cingulate and OFC, is consistent with decades of animal research on the neural correlates of conditioned drug reward.

PMID: 17375140 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Online link to this study abstract
Last edited by John (Gold) on 13 Apr 2009, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.

Johnnie

28 Aug 2010, 16:21 #34

This was very useful for me since I've started tuning into the danger of preconceptions and false expectations about withdrawal. While I want to be aware of the facts and be as informed as I can be, I also want to remember that all our quits are singular, at least in certain ways. If I expect six repetitions of a particular crave, maybe that's just what I'll get. If I expect withdrawal to proceed in specific, well-timed steps, maybe my quit will adjust to that too. The diet that I'm following...the water that I'm drinking...my mindset and my exercise...these and maybe other factors may come into play. So I'll try a little harder to study up and be prepared while staying fully tuned to precisely what I'm feeling--and not what I fear I should feel.
Last edited by Johnnie on 24 Mar 2014, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.
Gratefully Gold

I escaped from the prison of smoking on August 14, 2010.  
[font]The best revenge is quitting well![/font]