Breaking Links to Our Crave Generator

Subconscious use cue extinguishment
Lablover (Green)

11 Feb 2002, 21:01 #21

I got up feeling really down this morning. I felt like the Nicodemon would not get off my back all weekend. I've had a constant battle since late afternoon on Friday. Telling Mr. Nick to leave me alone, wondering why the weekend was any different than the week. Why, if I have already encountered these particular triggers, why am I fighting them again and again. WHY, WHY, WHY!!! Almost feeling defeated, like it is never going to stop.

Than I found my way back here and found this particular subject and was reminded of my journal, my reasons for quitting, etc. Reminded to think positive instead of feeling defeated. Like you said, Joel, "We are what we think". I have wasted a weekend feeling sorry for myself, feeling like I am going to fail and looking at everything so negatively. But somehow I made it. Something was hiding deep inside and came up and stopped me from walking out that door and going to the convenience store across the street.

I am going to celebrate that "something" today. I am going to honor it and pay respect to it and make sure "it" knows it is always welcome to hang with me. And I am going to MAKE TIME to think about "it" and the positive benefits of "it". I am going to write in my journal, etc.

Thanks for bringing this back up for me to see.

BridgetImage
2 Weeks 5 Days 7 Hours 23 Seconds.

John (Gold)

25 Jun 2002, 03:30 #22

You may get caught off guard by a trigger here or there but don't panic. The exact same tools, plans and exercies that you used to carry you throught those first few days of early withdrawal are all still available. Stay calm yet, like a Scout, "Be Prepared!"

Tatum (Bronze)

25 Jun 2002, 03:40 #23

Thanks for bringing this one up John...this is one of my favourites, definitely, and one that every newbie should print out to use as needed as time goes by...Good ammuniton, GOOD ammunition!

Peace,
Tatum Image

1 Month 3 Weeks 5 Days Cigarettes not smoked: 1686. Money saved: $210.83.Image
Last edited by Tatum (Bronze) on 24 Mar 2014, 18:07, edited 1 time in total.

DubiouslyDos

25 Jun 2002, 05:10 #24

Wow...this is a must read for all us newbies...I can't believe it's been up most of the day with only 2 recommends (one of em mine)....Maybe we could keep it up tomorrow too for those who've missed today??? Really informative!

Dos (Dubiously)
3 Weeks 6 Days 6 Hours 11 Minutes

Juanjuanjuanjuanjuan200

11 Jul 2002, 08:22 #25

The real thing that has helped me the most in this quit, as of today my last, is the possitive attitude that Joel´s texts brings up. Thanks to that, I had a great time on my first days. How ever some other days were so hard that I don´t think I will take another puff. Ni un pitillo más, ni una chupada, ni una calada. Is the most incredible prejudice that has ever turned up side down in my life: quitting with nervoussness, bad temper, sadness and other related attitude or reaction problems can be overturned to humor, self empowerment, pride, even joy.

Juan

IrishLotus GOLD

31 Oct 2002, 03:02 #26

What do you know...never saw this one either. And I think "newbie" Dos (so crazy to see you as a newbie, Dos) is right, "this is a must read for all us newbies". Congratulations newbies (old and young) on making the decision to qiuit smoking. And welcome to FREEDOM. Buckle up, you're in for one heck of a ride!
ImageIrishLotus
Free and healing for 1 Month 6 Days 12 Hours 1 Minute 47 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 1095. Money saved: $273.76.

SmokefreeJason

22 Dec 2005, 04:10 #28

I enjoyed reading this...
Never bum one cigarette... get the whole pack!Better Yet, Don't bum at all, beg for em... You will be amazed how many people will give you a single or even two cigarettes, but not the whole pack!
Make sure of one thing... No matter how long you have not smoked, no matter how badly you want that one paff... you afterall only want just that one- right?)
"This one Cigarette will be the glorious one harming you"!!!
If a Smoker walks by, ask him for the whole pack... open it up, smell the cigarettes, sweet like raisins, with some certain other smell to them. Visualize how many people worked hard to make fresh unlit cigarettes smell so darn good!!!!
I broke the links to my crave generator, only for a short time of two weeks and nearly one day ago, by doing the following:
"Realize that it is your mind, not your body"/ "Realize that Corporations spend Billions over the decades to make us belief we can not stop smoking."
"Time will not generate a Cigarette" Nicotine is out after 72 Hours, it's your subconscious mind telling you he's still here.../ Stress will not generate a Cigarette... Nicotine is out... go for a walk, but don't smoke...
"Teach Yourself" Read, Learn, and most importantly:
Visualize the gray filthy smoke going into your lungs, one Puff will put everything (I mean everything) back to ZERO! Your Fingers will smell, and pretty darn soon you'll be one of the gas station buyers, complaining about 2.45 for a gallon of gas, but forking nearly 6 bucks over for a pack of suicide...
You people might think I'm sick... but I keep telling myself:
This next Cigarette will do Damage. I know, it's never only one cigarette. But one is all... thats a standard commitment... All of a sudden my crave and urge for that stupid Cigarette is gone..... :o)))
Last edited by SmokefreeJason on 24 Mar 2014, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.

asianlotus toronto

16 Feb 2006, 01:32 #29

Thanks for the encouragement. I needed to hear this because as I start to dwell on the times where I'm having serious cravings, it's better perhaps to dwell on the times where I no longer dwell for a cigarette.

Just right now I could list a couple:
1. After meals
2. In the car
3. During breaks at work
4. At home in between study breaks
5. At school
6. At nightclubs (I now know that I smell REALLY bad when we leave the club)
7. At karaokes
8. When I'm consuming alcohol (it doens't seem to bother me anymore)

Thanks for the reminder =)

I have stopped nicotine for 14 days, 15 hours, 31 minutes and 26 seconds (14 days) I've not smoked 146 death sticks, and saved $62.29. I've saved 12 hours and 12 minutes of my life.

JoeJFree Gold

13 Sep 2006, 18:43 #30

That's one of the reasons I'm always harping on feeding our minds positive thoughts and avoiding defeatist negative thinking like fear and dread associated with quitting (STARTING) or the next crave. It just goes against the grain and only makes the challenge far more difficult than it need be. We are what we think. Tell yourself this is hard and it will be. Tell yourself the healing is glorious and it will be. Fear your craves and they will each be nightmares. Believe that you are more powerful than they are, and you will be. Know with every fiber of your being that there is no force or circumstances on planet earth (including the death or illness of a friend or loved one) that can ever cause you to put slow death to your lips again, and you won't! We are what we think! (from John's Original post)