“Boy, do I miss smoking!”

Jacqui672 Gold

18 Nov 2006, 02:35 #31

Thanx joel. After reading Boy do I miss smoking I wanted to read Marty's story but couldn't. Both were fantastic. Made me think.

Right now, I am eating lunch at my desk, continuing to work so I can leave early today. There is absolutely NO WAY I could have done this 8 months ago. The second the clock struck 12 noon I was bombing down the stairs for a smoke. Then I would repeat after lunch. I could have never got enough work done to leave early.

Little things that add up.

Seven months, two weeks, six days, 4 hours, 36 minutes and 26 seconds. 9367 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,575.65. Life saved: 4 weeks, 4 days, 12 hours, 35 minutes.

shellyack

01 Dec 2006, 04:13 #32

Thanks for bringing this to the top today! I was having a little weather related "thought" earlier. It's sleeting and snowing where I live and I was driving to pick up the kids early from school. I saw a man standing out in the sleet with a cutout trashbag over his head puffing away. I thought--now there's a good time...NOT. Now my weather related "thought" (couldn't even describe it as a trigger) was a prayer of thankfulness that I don't live like that any more. Sadly there was a time I would have been out in that sleet standing on my head juggling monkeys to get that fix. Not today and not for the last 98 days. Free. Whew...what a relief...

Shelly
99 days

Joel

07 Dec 2006, 23:12 #33

From above:

Make sure to read all the posts in this string. You have to stop fantasizing about how nice it would be to have a cigarette and really focus on what it was truly like to be a smoker. Not smoking will never be as good as the fantasy of smoking, but smoking will be a real nightmare compared to the fantasy life you are likely making up around smoking. See cigarettes for what they were and what they were doing and you will never question your initial decision to never take another puff!

Joel

Just Hannes

14 Mar 2007, 22:54 #34

Boy do I miss the heavily breathing after a short walk
Boy do I miss being unable to exercise 100%
Boy do I miss my yellow fingers
Boy do I miss my stinking breath
Boy do I miss my yellow eyes
Boy do I miss the hangover from nicotine in the morning
Boy do I miss my stinking home
Boy do I miss the stinking ashtrays
Boy do I miss the smell around me
Boy do I miss the walk 2 floors down and then outside to go and smoke 10 times per day while working
Boy do I miss the rain upon me smoking outside
Boy do I miss being the last person every afternoon on the buffet at work because I needed my fix first
Boy do I miss the humiliating looks of people while I was using
Boy do I miss my cold hands and feet
Boy do I miss my gray skin of my face
Boy do I miss my dirty notebook because of the tar
Boy do I miss my yellow walls and ceiling
Boy do I miss the withdrawal during flights
Boy do I miss the ahhhh after a long intercontinental flight which was no ahhh at all.
Boy do I miss my wrong decisions during meetings because I needed my fix
Boy do I miss the panic at night when I had only 5 left
Boy do I miss the long drive at night to a gas station which is open to buy nicotine
Boy do I miss the panic at night when my last lighter dies
Boy do I miss the long drive at night to a gas station which is open to buy a lighter
Boy do I miss that I've never seen a by bus or train from the inside
Boy do I miss that I've never seen a shopping center from the inside
Boy do I miss that I've never seen a by bus or train from the inside
Boy do I miss that I've never seen a smoke free restaurant from the inside
Boy do I miss the bad taste of food
Boy do I miss the bad taste of drinks
Boy do I miss the coughing in the morning
Boy do I miss throwing up sometimes during this coughing
Boy do I miss saying this coughing is because of a cold
Boy do I miss coughing during every physical activity
Boy do I miss my voice like I was 40 years older
Boy do I miss the little holes in my couch and clothes
Boy do I miss the little holes in the couches of friends
Boy do I miss the ash everywhere
Boy do I miss waking up in the middle of the night to get a fix
Boy do I miss the voice of my children begging me to quit
Boy do I miss the little burning wounds all over my body
Boy do I miss ash falling in my food while preparing it
Boy do I miss trying to convince quitters it's impossible.
Boy do I miss offering quitters cigarettes trying to keep them on my side
Boy do I miss the withdrawal state while trying to quit for the one hundred thousand million time.
Boy do I miss the garage during parties
Boy do I miss not being able to do nothing.
Boy do I miss not being able to lie in bed awake for more then 15 minutes
Boy do I miss not being able to relax
Boy do I miss the time spent on getting my fix.
Boy do I miss my money
Boy do I miss being impotent
Boy do I miss the hospital bed
Boy do I miss my family while staying in the hospital
Boy do I miss my father
Boy does my wife miss her father
Boy will my kids miss me
ehhhhh no I don't think I miss smoking
Frits (Bronze+)

lfrogger

14 Jul 2007, 16:31 #35

This is so perfect! Who in their right mind would want to go back to a smokers life?
A few days ago, I had a 4 yr. ex smoker friend undermine my quit . She called me on the phone to see how my "battle" was going. I told her I didn't think of it as a "battle" but as a challenge to be embraced. She told me if quitting is stressful, I may as well smoke because stress is as harmful as smoking so why not go back to what I like & smoke? at least when I smoke I'm not stressed .
I said, "excuse me? am I hearing you right?"
She said all she was saying was that she wouldn't blame me if I decided to smoke again. She told me she liked smoking & the only reason she doesn't pick up a cigarette is the "time" she has acquired.
The good thing from this situation is that it made me take a stand for my quit! The more I thought about her advice the more I saw the "junkie" way of thinking & how my dear ex smoker friend was on a "dry drunk" so to speak.
I saw I differ from my ex smoker friend in that I do not look at my quit as a " battle" that has no hope, nothing gets better etc, I see my quit as fulfilling a dream I've wanted but thought I could never have. I view her "battle" as embracing challenges, gaining empowerment & self respect, enjoying freedom from a 30 year bondage, feel good about my accomplishment and seeing that I can do this and I am doing this!! My dreams of being an ex-smoker has come true., How exciting!!! Everyday there is something better or new that I never new existed while in my nicotine fog. Yes, I still have a few cravings or triggers to embrace but they are soooo worth embracing!

Lou
3 weeks, 3 days nicotine free
Declined 1,043 nicotine feedings
invested $182.44 rather than lost by the flick of a bic!
Never take another puff!

Sal GOLD.ffn

06 Sep 2007, 06:21 #36

Stress - I have to smoke because of it !

crisanne1

30 Sep 2007, 00:45 #37

Wow, this was just what I needed to read today. I need to remember what the real cost of smoking would be not the fantasy of the ONE. I sure dont want to go back to my enslavement to nicotine. I whine to much about the temporay discomfort I feel as my body returns to normal and heals. Sometime I forget why I quit, I need to be reminded daily why. Thanks for a great post!!!!!!!!!!
Today is day 27, I will be Green on 10/02/07. Wow. I cant wait to tell my dad. My father smoked for 40 something years and quit when his father was dying of emphesimia. My father has been quit for 5 years. He has been on me and my sisster to quit. I cant wait to tell him. He will be so glad. My father is what kept me trying to quit, I kept thinking if this man who smoked for 40 years quit cold turkey and never went back YOU CAN TOO!!!. I have told my little sister and she is wanting to quit, I hope that we all become a family of non smokers rather than smokers.

Sal GOLD.ffn

04 Mar 2008, 06:22 #38

"Boy, am I glad I'm free!" Image

SalGold

08 Aug 2009, 01:58 #39

justhannes

16 Aug 2009, 18:45 #40

Good to see that my post also moved to the new forum; allthough it's not as natural as it used to be (yes I'm getting old)

Here I bring up again my post from 2 years ago which kept me going on; reading it took away allways crunches; crutches; urges or whatever.
I hope it can help you like it helped me and it will not annoy.

It helped me to take a good look at nicotine and what is really is.

Ffrits