“Boy, do I miss smoking!”

Breathing Easier (Gold)

25 Jul 2001, 01:12 #11

Thanks Joel - really need this reinforcement today. I was actually letting myself think that if I still smoked I would eat less and thus not have put on this weight. Although I am working out and eating right, these pounds keep creeping up on me ever so slowly. Reading this article helped me realize I never had time to eat before because I was always too concerned about getting my fix. It reminded of how smoking completely controlled my daily schedule and all activities. I am free of that now. Thanks!
Breathing Easier, back in focus, 2 months, 4 days.

wcsdancer (Gold)

06 Dec 2001, 02:40 #12

About the "weight" thing: I gained 40 pounds when I quit the last time. I got so tired of being fat that I started smoking again (for 7 more years, 22,000 sickerettes). So there I was, smoking again and STILL 40 pounds heavier. Translation, I didn't lose weight once I started smoking again, and instead renewed my addiction. I have quit FOR THE LAST TIME, chubby or not!!
Haven't take ONE PUFF for 3weeks, 5days, 12hours! *Candy*

John (Gold)

31 Dec 2001, 01:42 #13

Geeeze Joel, thanks! Being two plus years removed from thirty years of dependency and the need to **** down sixty nico-fixes a day, I'd almost forgot about:
  • Needing a fix upon waking
  • The cough and nasty phlegm
  • The dry throat.
  • Lousy taste in my mouth
  • The slight headaches
  • The dead taste buds
  • Including the tasteless coffee
  • All the time I lost treating my addiction
  • The dirty film on the inside of the windshield
  • The smell of a smoker's car
  • The ash everywhere
  • Keeping up with my nico-feeding tools
  • Those last second juice-up fixes
  • The inbetween nico-fixes
Yep, I'll NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF OF NICOTINE!

John (Gold)

06 Aug 2002, 20:43 #14

Bryan Wanted us to Know!

Jahunta

03 Mar 2004, 02:50 #15

I say that all the time. I'm 16 days into my quit, and say it a lot. However, I won't allow myself to fall back into nicodemon's grip. It's a memory. Something I used to have, but have no longer. Like a favorite stuffed animal. I'd say, "Boy, I miss my polka-dotted hippo." and I'd sigh that sigh of rememberance and move on. I'll admit for that for 1/2 a second, I'll look upon my memory as a happy one remembering the buzz after the first inhale...but it is not a happy one. It is a dangerous trigger and evil memory that I will not allow myself to invest in ever again. I know that this is a one day at a time addiction. I know that since I'm new, I will have to look at my addiction every day and will have to reject it every day. The cravings will ease, the sense of loss will lessen. But I will always remember what it was like. It's just a fact. And I will still miss it, but I will NTAP anyway.

J
Last edited by Jahunta on 13 Apr 2009, 11:51, edited 1 time in total.

ButterfliesareSilver

03 Mar 2004, 10:03 #16

I have not smoked for 41 days. I'm Green. I'm getting ready to travel across the country to visit my mother who last year survived her second valve replacement within 7 years. My mother has been a smoker for the 41 years I've known her. She admitted to having a cigg not to long ago. EEEK.

I'm in trigger central let me tell you and the nasty thing is, I seem to think I miss smoking because I'm going through all the motions of planning a somewhat stressful trip, (family) which I haven't done for a while and my mind is just gravitating to missing smoking and it's really bothering me. I know it's all the trigger, I just know it. I've been leaning on my crutches a little more, but mostly, I've been coming here to read. I know the posts are great but really, it's Joel's Library that gets me through times like this. Thanks for bringing this post up...it's perfect. This is where I need to be. Give my head a shake, thanks.

No Thanks...
Butterflies:
Nic free for 41 days...junkie alive and well.
Last edited by ButterfliesareSilver on 14 Jun 2010, 12:11, edited 2 times in total.

Sal GOLD.ffn

03 Mar 2004, 10:40 #17

Our junky side doesn't fight fair, and uses confusing logic. It plays upon the parts of us that feel most vulnerable. The parts of us that want to hide and wish things away. You can eliminate the fear, and silence the voice by always looking it in the eye, seeing it for what it is, and never letting it get away without shedding the light of truth upon it.
From Monster under the bed
ImageSal
Last edited by Sal GOLD.ffn on 13 Apr 2009, 11:53, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

21 Mar 2004, 20:54 #18

Why some people may feel depressed after a month or longer after quitting. If a person thinks to him or herself how much he or she misses smoking, he or she is likely going to feel deprived of cigarettes and possibly depressed from the deprivation. The fact is though when a person quits smoking he or she is not depriving himself or herself of a cigarette, he or she is ridding himself or herself of smoking--meaning of having to smoke all of the cigarettes he or she smoked on a daily basis and of all of the problems and consequences that goes along wity all of those cigarettes. Most feel that there were some good cigarettes at the end, but there were a whole lot more rotten cigarettes and meaningless or empty cigarettes that had to accompany the good ones. The fact is, all of the cigarettes, the rotten ones, the insignificant ones and even the good ones were destroying the person and over time was probably going to kill the person. To keep yourself happily free always remember why you first committed and are still committed to never take another puff!
Joel
Related readings:
Fixating on a cigarette
I want one ...
Just one little puff?
Just one or two
Last edited by Joel on 13 Apr 2009, 11:55, edited 1 time in total.

rgraf8

07 Apr 2004, 01:39 #19

I read this article for the first time about a month ago and it has helped me maintain my quit better than anything else. Just last week I was having a tough time with work and family when an oppertunity arose to have a cigarette. I thought to myself then and several times afterwards that one cigarette wouldn't hurt, and maybe it will help me to stop thinking about smoking so much. But we all know it doesn't work that way. Right now, on a really bad day I may think about smoking once or twice. When I was a smoker, I thought about smoking constantly. This revelation made me smile. How can I be unhappy because I still think about cigarettes on occassion when I used to be absorbed by the thought of smoking just about every moment of every day. Crazy stuff. I like this option much better.

Smoke Free 2 Months +

carvoiero gold

07 Apr 2004, 01:44 #20

Wow, yes - it just struck me on reading that - I think about smoking a couple of times a day now - and can get over those times easily - but I used to think about it most of the day - where, when, how the next fix!
It's so much easier being a non smoker.
I will never take another puff. I don't want my life ruined any longer.
Marion
I've been quit for 27 days, 17 hours, 44 minutes and 27 seconds (28 days).
I've not smoked 416 death sticks, and saved £93.73.
I've saved 1 day(s), 11 hour(s) of my life.