Blood Sugar Changes When Quitting

Physical healing of the body and mind
John (Gold)

02 Jun 2008, 21:30 #31

The effects of cigarette smoking on glycosylated hemoglobin in nondiabetic individuals. The Journal of Family Practice 1989 May;28(5): Pages 529-531. Authors: Urberg M, Shammas R, Rajdev K.

Department of Family Medicine, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan.

Cigarette smoking has been causally linked to atherosclerotic heart disease. The mechanism by which cigarette smoking causes heart disease has not, however, been determined. Nicotine has been shown to lead to increases in plasma epinephrine and norepinephrine following smoking. Catecholamines have been shown to lead to increases in blood glucose.

This paper demonstrates that cigarette smoking is associated with increases in average blood glucose as measured by glycosylated hemoglobin levels in smokers compared with nonsmokers.

Fifteen nondiabetic smokers had an average glycosylated hemoglobin of 6.82% (SD = 1.06%), which is higher than the 5.63% (SD = .49%, t = 3.98, P less than .001) found for 23 nonsmokers. The average glycosylated hemoglobin level of the smokers is in the range found for patients with well-controlled diabetes.

These data suggest that elevated blood glucose may contribute to atherogenesis in cigarette smokers.

PMID: 2597247 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

MauriceS

10 Feb 2015, 08:41 #32

Wow thanks for posting this, really appreciate it.

jjbaker

11 Feb 2015, 20:16 #33

+1

Very important information and so true. Smoking covered a lot of unsteady eating times and skipping meals definitely becomes harder on your body after a solid quit.
I not only skipped meals left and right after quitting, if I ate I went fruits only (way out of whack diet, let me tell you) and promptly worked my system into a full on gastritis.

Important to remember that life continues after quitting smoking and the body longs for energy where cigarettes previously played a trick on nature.

NTAP, live and learn and learn to live again...