Blood Sugar Changes When Quitting

Physical healing of the body and mind
John (Gold)

06 Nov 2001, 21:12 #11

I wish I'd known that I couldn't get by without eating breakfast and lunch anymore Image. I didn't understand how nicotine and that first cigarette was feeding me by releasing stored fats into my blood stream. I do now and if you're looking in and just beginning a new quit please read this thread, and then read it again, as it could save your quit and your life! You can do it!

Joel

25 Nov 2001, 21:16 #12

For Shelley:
I noticed you changed your eating pattern to one that is more normal now. I thought you'd appeciate this article on the issue.
Last edited by Joel on 12 Mar 2009, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

10 Dec 2001, 06:58 #13

Unless prohibited by your health or diet, we recommend drinking
natural fruit juices during the
first three days. Cranberry is excellent.
It will aid in stablizing blood sugars and eliminating nicotine.
Be careful with extra juices beyond day 3 as they can be fattening.
If unable to drink juices, eat healthy and don't skip meals.
Last edited by John (Gold) on 12 Mar 2009, 14:07, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

01 Apr 2002, 19:04 #14

If new to Freedom and just beginning recovery it's very important that you understand how each puff, dip or chew of nicotine released adrenaline which in turn released stored fats and fed you. We don't have to eat any more food than we did while using nicotine but if you want to avoid many of the withdrawal symptoms associated with the fact that nicotine is no longer feeding us then we may need to spread our daily intake out a bit more evenly over our entire day! This is doable! Baby steps to comfort!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 12 Mar 2009, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.

JoeDTexas GREEN

17 May 2002, 20:10 #15

Could not agree more, if your a diabetic and kicking the habit, keep a real good eye on bgl, they could drop lower/faster than you might have previously experienced...

If you have problems keeping bgl in line, call your Dr. and discuss the situation with him/her, they will be thrilled to hear that you are quitting....Image

Kat3n

28 May 2002, 03:16 #16

Hi,

Your post was enlightening. I have had 7 lbs since I stopped smoking 7 days ago. I thought it was due a new insulin, but maybe not.

John (Gold)

27 Jun 2002, 20:38 #17

None of us EVER skipped breakfast
or lunch while still using nicotine!

Nicotine, via adrenaline releases stored fats and sugars into the bloodstream, ensuring that we were always well fed! It was a deadly means of eating.
If you try going without delivering fuel to your body after ending nicotine use you are likely to experience one or more unnecessary withdrawal symptoms associated with low blood sugar. Nicotine is no longer feeding you and unless you adjust your normal food intake out more evenly over your entire day then you could make withdrawal and recovery far more challenging than need be. What follows is a blood sugar symptoms article from WebMD

Hypoglycemia (Low Blood Sugar)

Symptoms

Hypoglycemia is not itself a disease but a condition that results from low blood sugar levels. The symptoms are not unique or specific to hypoglycemia; other conditions and illnesses have some of the same or similar symptoms. The symptoms a person experiences may vary from episode to episode and among different individuals. A doctor must carefully evaluate symptoms that may indicate hypoglycemia to be sure that some other condition is not causing them.
Low blood sugar can be mild, moderate, or severe. Increasingly severe symptoms appear as the blood glucose level falls. The most noticeable symptoms result from the effect of low blood sugar on the brain and nervous system.
Mild hypoglycemia
The initial symptoms appear as the body responds to the falling blood sugar levels by releasing glucagon, epinephrine (adrenaline), and other hormones. In normal individuals, blood glucose levels when fasting (between meals) are usually between 70 to 150 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL).3, 4 The symptoms of mild low blood sugar usually develop when the blood sugar falls below 60 to 65 mg/dL. These may include:
  • Nausea; extreme hunger.
  • Feeling nervous or jittery.
  • Cold, clammy, wet skin; excessive sweating that is not caused by exercise.
  • A rapid heartbeat (tachycardia)
  • Numbness or tingling of the fingertips or lips.
  • Trembling.
Moderate hypoglycemia
If blood sugar levels continue to fall, the lack of adequate glucose begins to impair brain and nervous system functions. Additional symptoms appear that affect behavior and judgment. Symptoms usually develop when the blood sugar falls below 50 mg/dL. These may include:
  • Mood changes, such as irritability, anxiety, restlessness, or anger.
  • Confusion, difficulty in thinking, or inability to concentrate.
  • Blurred vision, dizziness, or headache.
  • Weakness, lack of energy.
  • Poor coordination.
  • Difficulty walking or talking, such as staggering or slurred speech.
  • Fatigue, lethargy, or drowsiness.
Note: A person experiencing moderate hypoglycemia may be too weak or confused to treat the low blood sugar and may need help.
Severe hypoglycemia
The symptoms of severe low blood sugar develop when blood sugar falls below 30 mg/dL. Symptoms may include:
  • Seizures or convulsions.
  • Loss of consciousness, coma.
  • Low body temperature (hypothermia).
Prolonged severe hypoglycemia can cause irreversible brain damage. If emergency medical treatment is not provided, severe hypoglycemia can be fatal. See the Topic Overview or Home Treatment section for links to information on emergency care for low blood sugar.
Note: The blood sugar levels given here are typical ones. However, actual measurements for normal blood sugar levels (euglycemia), and for mild, moderate and severe hypoglycemia, can vary from individual to individual. In some cases, symptoms may even occur when a person's blood sugar level makes a large drop from a high level into the normal range.
Some medications may interfere with whether symptoms of low blood sugar develop. These include beta-blockers, which are often used to treat heart conditions and high blood pressure.
WebMD Health
© 1995-2002, Healthwise, Incorporated, P.O. Box 1989, Boise, ID 83701.
All Rights Reserved.
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Last edited by John (Gold) on 12 Mar 2009, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

17 Jul 2002, 19:54 #18

Smokers are fed stored fats by their addiction
While normal humans feed themselves!

John (Gold)

28 Oct 2002, 05:49 #19

Hunger!
A New Experience for Many !
If you're just arriving, this thread is VERY important and worth reading again and again. Each puff, dip or chew of nicotine fed us via adrenaline releases of stored fats and sugars into our bloodstream. Many of us lived in a very unnatural feeding world where we rarely experienced periods or feelings of hunger. As Joel indicates, it's important that we understand and appreciate the time delay between eating food and our brain sensing that the amount of food we've eaten was sufficient to replenish our needs - about 20 minutes!

As Joel points out, if, because of nicotine's ability to instantily feed us, we are not used to this natural 20 minute period of hunger and may attempt to satisfy it with a shovel instead of a slow slow spoon. We can devour an awful lot of groceries in those 20 minutes! None of us need to eat one calorie more than we did while using nicotine but we may need to learn to properly deal with hungar and we may need to learn to spread our normal calorie intake out more evenly over our entire day. It's really a learning experience.

If a food crave should arrive, the slower we eat and the greater amount of time passing between helpings, the fewer helpings we may find we need. After all these years of nicotine feeding us it can take a bit of practice learning how to feed ourselves properly again. What a wonderful problem to have!

Breathe deep, hug hard, live long!

John : )
Last edited by John (Gold) on 12 Mar 2009, 14:19, edited 2 times in total.

GeorgieGirl GOLD

29 Jan 2003, 08:12 #20

Hi everyone. I really think that I need to share my personal experience with low blood sugar with you all (especially you newbies!). I am nearly 3 months into my Quit and have experienced alot of ups and downs. I guess I had become rather confused as to why I was still experiencing symptoms similar to those that are experienced in the first 72 hours. I was pretty much in a constant state of crankiness, moody, depressed, restless and angry AND I am always so tired. There is also quite a bit of stress going on in my life around me. The point is - I guess I kept putting the symptoms I have been experiencing down to giving up smoking. I have been like this for a while, giving up smoking just unmasked the symptoms even more. The most important point is - that I have seen a doctor and have been properly diagnosed with Hypoglycemia. As John has outlined above - this is the "category" I fall under:

Moderate hypoglycemia
If blood sugar levels continue to fall, the lack of adequate glucose begins to impair brain and nervous system functions. Additional symptoms appear that affect behavior and judgment. Symptoms usually develop when the blood sugar falls below 50 mg/dL. These may include:
  • Mood changes, such as irritability, anxiety, restlessness, or anger.
  • Confusion, difficulty in thinking, or inability to concentrate.
  • Blurred vision, dizziness, or headache.
  • Weakness, lack of energy.
  • Poor coordination.
  • Difficulty walking or talking, such as staggering or slurred speech.
  • Fatigue, lethargy, or drowsiness.
As Joel and everyone has always said - we do not provide medical advice at this site, and for good reason. I think that it is REALLY important in your Quit NOT to blame everything on not-smoking, it does not really deserve any credit at all. As I have found out myself - I had an underlying medical condition. All that smoking did was mask it and probably make it worse!
Also, as Joel so wisely put it:
For people who are off for weeks, months, years or decades and who are cranky, nervous, depressed, angry, have sore throats, earaches, backaches, headaches, eye strains, poor vision, hearing problems, broken bones, have stubbed their toes, have financial concerns, job stresses, or any other extraordinary issues going on in their lives at the moment. Don't blame every feeling, bad or good in your life on the fact that you happened to have quit smoking. Life goes on without smoking and as the closing paragraph in this article states:
Life goes on without smoking. It is likely to go on longer and it is likely that you will be healthier at each and every stage than you would have been if you had continued smoking. Your life will continue to stay better and likely last long longer as long as you always remember to never take another puff!

Life DEFINITELY goes on. Newbies - please take heart and keep hold of your Quit. If anything out of the ordinary occurs - please seek medical advice. Lucky for me I did and now with the help of my doctor and a nutritionist - I am getting myself back on track - and I DO NOT NEED SMOKING to cope with things that life may throw at me from time to time.

Georgia