Being tempted watching others smoke

SunshineRay

30 Apr 2001, 06:59 #21

Glad I popped in here to take a look at Glenys post. And very glad Joel dropped in to and left a reply. Was wondering what to do myself tomorrow, when someone is coming over for abit to help me with computer, and he smokes! And next week girlfriend coming down from country to stay 3 to 4 days, big smoker. I know, one hour, one day at a time.

Joels reply and article re: actually watching someone smoke, gave me a whole new perspective on how to look at it. From that perspective I am quite sure it will look like a really ugly and nasty habit. I've been telling anyone who I know personally who has called or been in touch with me over the net .... to have a ciggerette for me! I'm really glad I dropped back in and realize now that that is only reinforcing my mind/body that it wants one! And is very negative and damaging. Will stop asking that as of NOW! And as for the Palmolive bottle, well that was a stunner ........ Thanks for the input. Not so scared now of someone dropping by tommorrow. But shall be sure to tune in here before they arrive.

Glenys ..... go for it, I'm in my 3rd day too

your quit sister
Cheryl
aka sunshineray

Joel

04 May 2001, 23:08 #22

Image This includes watching smoking spouses.

Triin (GOLD)

08 May 2001, 07:22 #23

I thought I'd just share one thing. I had my graduation ceremony from the university on Saturday. Big day, big celebration - and NO urges to smoke. Maybe I wouldn't have realized how free I was feeling unless I hadn't been with one of my friends. We used to spend a lot of time together in the past and she is as heavy smoker as I was in the past. I knew our rythm of "getting the fixes" had been very similar - we smoked on similar times and on similar frequency. Now back to the graduation. We met a few minutes before going in and she sucked that last cigarette fast and deep. Wow her car really stunk! Yak. We went inside to try on cap and gown, and it took about an hour before the actual thing started. She started complaining about wanting a cigarette already then!!! Then it started...Her opportunity to smoke came about 3 hours after her last cigarette. I was fully enjoying the ceremony whereas she was waiting to get a fix. She had to sneak away from parents and family to secretly **** in the nicotine - whereas I was spending time with the people who had came to congradulate me. I know that if I hadn't quit, I would have been in her shoes too. I would have thought about cigarettes half a time! But now...I didn't. I was so occupied that the thought never even crossed my mind. Only she was there to remind me how thankful I am for all of you who have helped me to get free!!! Watching her being in slavery really made me realize even more the value of my quit.

Triin
I have been Quit for: 2M 2W 3D 1h 21m 25s. I have NOT smoked 1561, for a savings of $107.33. Life Saved: 5D 10h 5m.

Ryan(Gold)

08 Jun 2001, 01:47 #24

Joel...You are the Man!!

Thanks for this great article. I too did not realize how much smoke a person consumes off of just one puff. I remember doing the toliet paper trick when I use to smoke and I thought,"Wow that was a lot of smoke!" I didn't realize that only 10% was coming out of my lungs. Now that you have told me this I am very disgusted and am glad that I have been nicotine free for three weeks, two days, 13 hours, 28 minutes and 7 seconds.

Thanks again bud,

Ryan

Joel

02 Jul 2001, 19:26 #25

Again just want to make sure everyone is psyched for the upcoming holiday.

Here is the picture from post 16 in this string which will disappear now unless you go back to read the earlier responses. (Which by the way is probably a good idea to do on all of our larger threads. Threads get long because a lot of people found something important in them to respond to. Often those responses as are good and maybe even more important as the original post.)
The Palmolive Bottle smoking demonstration.

Again you can see how the smoke had darkened the bottle after about a few hundred cigarettes. You can start to see how the smoker's lungs below became so discolored. Smokers don't just put a total of a few hundred cigarettes in their system; they literally deliver hundreds of thousands of cigarettes over their shortened lifetime. This discoloration effect is more than just aesthetically unpleasant--it is in fact deadly. See cigarettes as they are and you will always choose to never take another puff!

Joel
Non smokers lung with carbon deposits from pollution
Smokers lung with cancer. White area on top is the cancer, this is what killed the person. The blackened area is just the deposit of tars that all smokers paint into their lungs with every puff they take.
To add a little more perspective to the demonstration, here is another way to see how much tar actually gets into the lungs from smoking. Below is the picture of a smoking machine.
This machine smokes 2,000 cigarettes a day, mimicking smokers puffing patterns to capture equivalent amounts of tar as would a smoker. In one day the machine captures the amount of smoke in the picture below.
This is the same amount a pack a day smoker will paint in his or her lungs in a little over three months. You can see why the lungs are so discolored. But again, the discoloration is a minor issue. It is not that the lungs look altered, it is the fact that there are thousands of chemical being deposited with over 40 that are cancer causing chemicals. Again, keep seeing cigarettes for as they are and your logical choice will be to always never take another puff!

Joel

04 Jul 2001, 01:53 #26

For Trish

As long as I am bringing this one up again, figured I would add another dimension to the story. The bottle above with the tar collected from 2,000 cigarettes. If a dilute form (dilute, not concentrated is as often done in animal experimentation to demostrate that chemicals are carcinogens) of this tar is painted on the skin of mice, 60% of the animals developed cancer of the skin within a year.
Many chemicals currently banned for human consumption were removed from usage if they even caused 5% or less cases of cancer in similar experiments. Cigarette tars contain some of the most carcinogenic chemicals known. Consider this when watching people smoking and exhaling only 10% of the tars they actually take in. Watch them smoke and it will strengthen your resolve to never take another puff!
Joel

Mari (GOLD)

04 Jul 2001, 04:42 #27

Joel, I've always found this thread to be one of the best motivators to keep a quit. The experiment with the Palmolive bottle is a gem. I'd thought of trying to do it myself but I'd probably burn myself, so I'll pass on that. But, it's true that a picture is worth a thousand words, but maybe in my case 206,858 words. That's how many cigarettes I've smoked (at least) in my 28 year smoking history.
I quit when I did 3/09/01 because I was sick, sick of smoking, sick of trying to quit, and sick of relapsing. I was sick and tired of being sick~~and tired. I knew the health risks, but kept right on puffing. Stupid, stupid, stupid, addicted, addicted, addicted!!! But, and this is a very big BUT~~~I sat here re-reading this thread, and looking again, and again at the new pictures you posted, trying to digest the new information without getting sick to my stomach, and I wondered~~If I had seen your post 28 years ago, or even a year ago, would I have quit? Gosh, I want to believe I would have. I don't want to even think I would have been stupid enough to see the damage right in front of me and still **** on cigarettes! Just think, I've sucked the equivalent of that small bottle of goo into my lungs over 103 times!!!! On purpose!!! And, the thing that brings even more tears to my eyes is the fact that members of my family still smoke, and now I won't be able to look at them smoking, or anyone smoking for that matter, without seeing these pictures over and over again. This is a chilling reality!
Thank you for the info. Thank you again for getting all of the latest info for us and for helping us work through our quits with facts. I'll consider having taken the time to read this thread again my gift to myself for having bested the "Terrible Threes" today!! (Which are really the Terrific Threes for me!)
Not one puff...No matter what...Just for today--
---and forever!!!!!
Mari Image
Three months, three weeks, three days, 21 minutes and 22 seconds. 2319 cigarettes not smoked, saving $414.99. Life saved: 1 week, 1 day, 1 hour, 15 minutes.

Joel

28 Jul 2001, 13:20 #28

Image For Treese. Watch the people at the party smoking, one, then another and then another. Soon you will realize they are smoking in a way that you do not want to. They are smoking in a way that they don't want to either. They don't have a choice right now--you do. You can smoke just like them if you want. You can smoke them under the table if you want. You also have the choice of not smoking anything. But there is no in-between choice, not for you or any other recovering nicotine addict.

Consider your true options and your choice will always be to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

25 Aug 2001, 19:47 #29

Image I saw where the topic of seeing others smoke was brought up yesterday. I hope that this string helps you learn to watch people with more of a sense of pity than any form of envy. A person stuck in the grip of addiction is no way in an enviable position. To avoid ever being entrapped in such a life of slavery to a drug again always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

earnhardtsrule(gold)

31 Aug 2001, 12:48 #30

great piece,this really helped me,thanks