Being tempted watching others smoke

MrsO (Double Gold)

09 Mar 2001, 06:47 #11

When I see someone smoking on the street or in their car - I am always reminded by a poster I believe The American Cancer Society put out years ago. I believe it read "Smoking is Glamorous" and picture a haggard old woman with a sickabutt hanging out of her mouth. NOW ISN'T THAT AN ATTRACTIVE SITE!
My hubby and I are mighty proud today. We are double green! Two months, five days, 4 hours, 44 minutes and 16 seconds. 1814 cigarettes not smoked, saving $244.93. Life saved: 6 days, 7 hours, 10 minutes EACH.

Thanks for being there Freedomites! Image

JoyR

09 Mar 2001, 07:59 #12

I remember reading in an article about cigarettes and manufacturers lies, that the cig companies created a special type of filter that when used by humans would deliver more than when used by the government testing machine. It had something to do with an internal structure of the filter and how it would collapse when sucked if not pressed (as by the lips) and the testing machine, while it sucked - did not press. My very convulted point is - while I would love to see the Palmolive demo, it seems possible to me that the reality is even worse.

Joy

Joel

09 Mar 2001, 08:20 #13

The perforated filter is just such a tactic. It **** air in at the same time as a person smokes, in theory. But in practice smokers will learn to seal their lips around the perforations thus rendering it useless. Some people I know had even put tape around the perforations making them easier to inhale. Games people will play. I can compensate for the action with the palmolive bottle. I have the mouth piece designed to be able to go further back if necessary on the cigarette, in essense mimicking what the smoker does. When ever necessary I do it and explain the process to the group. The ones who used the products recognize the practice instantly. It comes down to there is no safe way to smoke, no matter what the package says or any reports say, smoking cigarettes, any cigarettes is dangerous and with time can be deadly. The only safe solution is to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

10 Apr 2001, 06:18 #14

Well for all of you who ever wanted to see the Palmolive bottle demo, here is a picture shot last week at my last stop smoking clinic.

This looks like it was an exhalation after about 10 previous exhalations, not that much is seen in this particular photo. I normally get a tremendous amount of smoke out of the bottle with every drag, normally we can smoke up a room with one cigarette. If you look at the mouthpiece of the bottle, it is almost solid brown with tar. It used to be clear. I have used this bottle with somewhere between 300 and 400 cigarettes. While that may sound like a lot, most people smokemore than that in any given month. Even the bottle is pretty yellow and I blow out almost all of the smoke used when it inhales. The bottle is dry allowing me to do this, your lungs are moist trapping most of the tars when inhaled. Literally over 90% of the tar that is inhaled stays in the lung, when you see a person exhale they are literally blowing out about 10% of the smoke.

When viewed this way, even one puff seems disgusting to most people. Again, the logical conclusion for most is to never take another puff!

Joel

Debi289(Gold)

10 Apr 2001, 06:33 #15

It certainly disgusted me. I guess I never realized how much stayed in our lungs. Thanks for the reinforcement Joel. NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!
Debi289
2M 3W 6D 18h 22m 25s.
Last edited by Debi289(Gold) on 28 Nov 2009, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.

Heike (silver)

10 Apr 2001, 06:52 #16

This reminds me of something I tried once: take a puff and blow it through a paper tissue. held right up against the lips. Do not inhale this puff first. Then inhale another puff and exhale it through the tissue in a different place. Compare the colour of the two stains. Incredible difference. Gives you some indincation how much stuff stayed in the lungs when the smoke was inhaled.

Don't of course try this at home, get a smoker to do it for you!

Heike

duncan

10 Apr 2001, 07:16 #17

Joel - That's really grose man - thanks for the best reminder today - I have been here for two hours this morning, now I am equipped with FREEDOM power to switch off the ocmputer and go and celebrate my partner's birthday - I have only been off the sickerettes for just over a week, after 13 years of smoking - I have coughed up lots of nasty surprises this last week - I dread to think what sort of healing my lungs will have to go through over the next twelve months. NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF DUNCAN !!! One week, one day, 9 hours, 51 minutes and 42 seconds. 210 cigarettes not smoked, saving $74.85. Life saved: 17 hours, 30 minutes.

Triin (GOLD)

10 Apr 2001, 08:05 #18

Yak!!! I'm suprised the smokers get any oxygen through this tar that must be in the lungs! I want to breathe, that's why I will never take another puff!

Triin
I have been Quit for: 1M 2W 5D 1h 45m 41s. I have NOT smoked 1001, for a savings of $68.85. Life Saved: 3D 11h 25m.

Joel

15 Apr 2001, 19:54 #19

Again for those holiday get togethers. Don't sit and fantasize about the joy other people seem to have smoking or worse yet, about the joy smoking would give you at the moment. This again is a fantasy.

If viewed in its actual state, a cigarette will not be a temptation to you. See them for what they are and you will feel no envy toward your smoking family members and friends, but more likely feel a sense of pity for them. You may in fact be helping them by just setting the example of not smoking and not seeming tempted.

If you see cigarettes for what they are this will be the natural state of things, not smoking and not tempted. If you don't see them as they are but rather sit and fantasize about how you wish they could be, the thoughts will drive you nuts. Stay focused on what they were, a drug (nicotine, a very addictive and poisonous chemical in its own right) delivery device that was also delivering thousands of other chemicals, hundreds of which are poisons, 40 of which are known carcinogens, all which combined makes you smell like an ashtray, turns you into a social outcast, and accomplishes all of these life destructive influences for the small cost of thousands of dollars a year.

Again, see cigarettes for what they are and you will be giving thanks for one new component of your life this holiday season, the fact that you have finally attained freedom from tobacco and are able to keep that freedom as long as you never take another puff!

Joel

improud (golder)

18 Apr 2001, 03:19 #20

Image I wish I could have read this before Easter Sunday. I had smokers in my house. YUCK and was stupid not to tell them not to smoke. I sure did want one, I just went upstairs a million times to get away and of course to make my meal. But it was extremely hard!!! But still Never taken another puff! Image Thanks Joel
I have been Quit for: 3M 1W 4D 16h 49m 46s. I have NOT smoked 3111, for a savings of $466.65. Life Saved: 1W 3D 19h 15m.