Becoming An Ex-Smoker

The emotions that flow from nicotine cessation
starbirder.ffn

25 Mar 2008, 01:47 #21

Joel's Videos are priceless..........a must listen.....even his voice is informative, supportive, caring and humorist....always feel brighter and lighter (that means feel much better)
Star
Last edited by starbirder.ffn on 12 Apr 2009, 05:58, edited 1 time in total.

dixieanny

03 Aug 2009, 01:15 #22

Becoming An Ex-Smoker
"As long as a person feels like a smoker trying not to smoke, he or she is going to have the psychological problems and play the little mind games of a smoker trying not to smoke. When you cross over to the frame of mind that you are not a smoker trying not to smoke but rather you are now an ex-smoker--and that is what you want to be--the psychological benefit can be both powerful and profound."

The above is an excerpt from Message No. 24 in the thread Carrying cigarettes . I read it for the first time today, and have not seen that teaching concept anywhere else in Freedom. It really got my attention.

For two months now, I have been successful in my quit by telling myself that "I am not going to smoke, just for today. I may smoke tomorrow, but today I'm not going to smoke."

Lately I have not had to argue with myself each morning about this decision, and it has become much less important to me. What I am trying to say is my mindset is changing, and I begin to look more at the long range picture of not smoking for the rest of my life. That idea has been particularly scary to me, but I have to accept that my baby steps are getting bigger.

This post that I quoted above really affected me. I have been thinking of myself as a smoker who is trying to quit. I now begin to realize that is time to begin thinking of myself as an ex-smoker. This is a major step for me and I wonder if anyone else has been through a similar experience.

The one thing I don't need to forget is the fact that I will never be an ex-addict.

Dave

Posted: 06/17/02 11:17
I have chosen not to smoke for 1 Month 4 Weeks 2 Days 18 Hours 12 Minutes 46 Seconds. Somewhere there are 2126 extra cigarettes

Last edited by dixieanny on 19 Feb 2010, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.

Melicious

28 Aug 2009, 18:35 #23

This thread really hit home for me. Not there yet, but I know it's coming. The day I can say I've found "the zone" and am an ex-smoker. Thank you Freedom, I'd be lost without this site!

benedikte

06 Nov 2009, 17:50 #24

A few days ago I faced a new trigger of some kind. Normally I am "talking to my craves". Speaking out loud, and telling them off.
But for some reason, I tried out a new strategy, this time.
I tried to imagine, what it would be like, to surrender to the craves.
Tried to picture my self go and get my coat, and go to the store to by that pack of cigarettes.
Tried to picture my self lighting up and inhale the smoke.
And then I realized some thing very odd... that picture just did not "feel" like me at all. It seemed so unreal, so wrong.
Isn't it amazing? After 25 years of smoking and just 1 month quit - now it actually feels like smoking never actually took place. Like it was just a bad dream.
This is hard to explain. Hope it makes sense.

My point is: I think, I have crossed that bridge all ready. I am not feeling like a smoker any more.
And since I realized that, my journey is getting much easier, since I really get the feeling, there is just no turning back to life as a smoker. Even if I would want to - I just can not go back no more.

Like a hermit crab who out-grew its shell. Once he left the shell, to search for a new and bigger shell, there is no going back. He will never be able to squeeze himself into that old shell again. Yet he might still feel a bit strange in the new shell.

(and I know, I still have to maintain my quit.. never feel to secure, and all...)
ImageBenedikte - Free and Healing for One Month +4D
Last edited by benedikte on 06 Nov 2009, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

FreedomNicotine

20 Dec 2009, 13:46 #25

"As long as a person feels like a smoker trying not to smoke, he or she is going to have the psychological problems and play the little mind games of a smoker trying not to smoke. When you cross over to the frame of mind that you are not a smoker trying not to smoke but rather you are now an ex-smoker--and that is what you want to be--the psychological benefit can be both powerful and profound."

-Joel in a response to the string Carrying cigarettes

Joe J free

05 Jul 2010, 03:46 #27

Joel Spitzer in the string: Carrying cigarettes