Becoming An Ex-Smoker

The emotions that flow from nicotine cessation
hoop0826(gold)

29 Dec 2002, 15:24 #11

You're not silver are you (hillbilly(silver))?
Anyways if you are or not, what you are talking about will come with time. The more experiences you go through not smoking, the faster the transition will be. At least that is what happened to me. And it just goes that the more time goes by, the more experiences you will have without smoking, and the better it will get!! Don't worry about that far down the road, it will come! Take it one day at a time, you will get there!

hoop

I have chosen not to smoke for 7 Months 6 Days 14 Hours 12 Minutes 45 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 3308. Money saved: $537.69.

AidaSaba1

25 Jun 2004, 09:36 #12

This is an excellent way of looking at it. I am still a newbie, so I am still a smoker who is trying to quit. Everything I do is a trigger and a struggle. I am even afraid of the thought that I will never have another cigarette in my life. So really it is one day at a time. I just focus on not taking another puff from the time I wake up in the morning until the time I go to bed. Every day that passes is quite an achievement for me. I even inhale in the air and exhale as if I am smoking!!?? would you believe that? Reading your posts gives hope that the future is not going to be all struggle. Perhaps one day I will reach my comfort zone. Meanwhile, I am a smoker who is trying to be an ex-smoker.

Aida
One week, three days, and some hours.

JoeJFree Gold

10 Mar 2005, 08:42 #13

While doing history research (Uh Huh BG) I sometimes take a moment to stop and gawk as I cruise through hundreds of posts (not too diff from part of my job) if a title or favorite writer catches my eye. It's kinda like rooting through the toy chest when you were a kid, looking for just the thing that will strike your fancy (what a weird term BTW). Hey Guys, look what I found Image. Enjoy all, Thanks brother from the hills.

My name is JoeJFree a nicotine addict and Ex-smoker for 1 month, 28 days, 9 hours, 26 minutes and 27 seconds (58 days)
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 19 Feb 2010, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.

Ish9184

10 Mar 2005, 10:46 #14

JoeJ,

Great work pulling this one up, as it really hit home today. The last week or so I felt as if I was in a bit of a funk. From my Freedom Education, it seemed like the 'depression phase' with a lot of bargaining mixed in. However, last night it occurred to me that not smoking was the natural thing to do. Today, I referred to myself, without hesitation, as an ex-smoker, rather than saying "I'm trying to quit." This is not to say that the cravings aren't there, but I had a strange feeling that Hillbilly has put into words better than I could have hoped.

Thanks Dave and Joe.

DragonSlayer (formerly Ish9184)

Free and Healing for One Month and One Day, while avoiding the use of 798 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $181.85.

kattatonic1 gold4

22 Jan 2006, 13:20 #15

Thanks to JoeJ for keeping this in his archival index of which complexities I fearImage. He mentioned it in another thread today.

Cannot believe I never read this classic by Dave. I had what most people would call an "easy" quit this final successful time. The worst of it was the month before quitting and the first two weeks of my actual quit. (I guess I would say plus a few months of "low lying fog".) And STILL I spent far too many months long telling people (and myself) that I was quitting, when I had actually already quit! That change in mindset changed everything for me.

For our dear Newbies... comfort is coming.

Kay (Gold x 2)
Last edited by kattatonic1 gold4 on 19 Feb 2010, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.

kysbrlady

11 May 2006, 02:10 #16

I certainly understand the difference in the mindset of "trying to quit" and "not smoking". I once heard somone explain how to "try". He said to sit in a chair and "try" to get up. No, don't get up, just "try" to get up. "Trying" is not doing is it? In the past during my feeble attempts to quit smoking I would say "I am trying to quit". This time I refuse to make that statement. This time "I quit", "I do not smoke", "I am a recovering nicotine addict". Which ever statement I use now it must reinforce to me that just for today, "I do not smoke".

Kathy I am at work and do not have my quit meter but I have been nicotine free for 6 weeks and 1 day.

Skylark0

26 Aug 2006, 04:04 #17

I sometimes think there is magic going on here. I was having a bad evening, posted about it then read this string which had gone to the top of the list from the beginning of the string and much of it spoke directly to me. It is magic!

Ax

Mitzi499

26 Aug 2006, 04:35 #18

ImageThanks JoeJ. I had already read this a long time ago, but don't think I'd hit the "first" button and read everything. With the passage of time since then and with then and with the benefit of reading all the other posts to this thread, an enormous light has just turned on for me. I am realising that there are many things in life which people deal with and approach differently. As an "ex/non-smoker", I have envied all those who were able to report quite early on that it was "easy", that they "hardly ever thought about smoking", I envied that they achieved comfort so quickly.

Re-reading this entire post, I was thinking about how many of the cherished events in life do not conform to a set timetable. Pregnancy and childbirth, study and attainment, emotional loss and healing, working out and getting fitter, loving and losing, setting goals and seeing them through. ....they are all life events with no timescales attached. The satisfaction they provide make all the effort worthwhile, they are all joyful experiences, although each person will take their own time to achieve them. And so, I think, it must be with dealing with this addiction. Patience and knowledge will ensure that comfort arrives for each of us when we are ready to accept and celebrate it.

Maria - 129 days free after 38 years

ErikaCane357

15 Apr 2007, 23:52 #19

Wow that was an awesome post. I am now 11 days into my quit. I hope on day I can take on the mindset of an ex smoker it sure would alleviate alot of my stress and anger.

JoeJFree Gold

12 May 2007, 08:13 #20

The Key to our success
resides within each of us.
It is acknowledging & accepting the Law of Addiction
while choosing to stay nicotine clean and Free.
Joel's Library
Click here to open Joel's entire 149 page library in PDF file format
(1.35 MB). Once opened, save a copy to your computer. You'll then
be able to search, print, and e-mail the library to friends who smoke.
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 12 Apr 2009, 05:56, edited 1 time in total.