Be prepared to hear some confusing information

katsrule8

02 Jul 2007, 09:37 #51

2 states in Australia (New South Wales and Victoria ) also went almost smokeless 1st & 2nd July 2007

SuzieImage

Joel

10 Nov 2007, 02:49 #52

I see John has started a thread preparing our members and readers for next week's Great American Smoke Out. This string is one I like to bring up during this particular time period.

I am going to copy and paste John's press release from last year about the videos into this string. I am however going to update the video list to where it is at today--with 65 videos with 11 hours and 16 minutes of video lessons. I tried to put it in with this post but because of the number of videos and the size of the embedded links, I can't get them to show up here in one post--they exceed the maximum limit of characters in a single post.

Last year our videos were just coming out around the time of the Smoke Out. Since then there have been over 500,000 videos viewed.

Joel

10 Nov 2007, 02:51 #53

John's press release from last year, with updated video numbers:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Saturday, November 11, 2006
Charleston, South Carolina

Watch video quit smoking lessons during Smokeout

Imagine spending Thursday's Great American Smokeout with one of the world's leading quit smoking counselors. Imagine inviting him into your home.

Joel Spitzer of Chicago, author of "Never Take Another Puff," has recorded 65 video quitting lessons since September 27 that are available for download at WhyQuit.com, a popular free quitting forum.

Who is Joel Spitzer and why would smokers be well advised to spend time exploring his work? Few smokers have ever met a full-time smoking cessation counselor. Fewer yet have encountered one with 30 years of clinic experience. Spitzer presented his first two-week, twelve-hour, quit smoking clinic as an American Cancer Society volunteer in 1976, and has conducted 351 clinics since.

Today Spitzer presents stop smoking clinics and seminars for the Evanston and Skokie Illinois Departments of Health. Online he serves as education director at WhyQuit, where more than 550,000 copies of his free PDF quitting book have been downloaded since August 2005. His more than 100 quitting articles are widely shared at all major online quitting forums.

Spitzer's 65 free video lessons range from how to avoid blood sugar swing symptoms such as an inability to concentrate, to understanding the emotional loss associated with quitting smoking, to preparing for one of the most vivid dreams imaginable - the smoking dream.

Will this year's Great American Smokeout be the year that you at last put your greatest weapon of all to work, your intelligence? Knowledge truly is power. Yes you can!
Last edited by Joel on 15 Nov 2009, 13:29, edited 2 times in total.

Joel

10 Nov 2007, 02:57 #54

Well, for some reason I cannot get the video list in here even when breaking it up. Here is a link to the video information:

http://www.whyquit.com/joel/#video

Also, these resources were attached to last year's press release:
Related Great American Smokeout Reading

Learn More About Quitting Cold Turkey
  • WhyQuit.com - the Internet's oldest forum devoted to the art, science and psychology of cold turkey quitting, the quitting method used by almost all successful long-term quitters.
  • "Never Take Another Puff" - a free 149 page quit smoking book in PDF format by Joel Spitzer of Chicago, the Internet's leading authority on cold turkey quitting and nicotine dependency recovery. Joel's free book is an insightful collection of almost 100 short quitting articles on almost every cessation topic imaginable.
  • Joel's Library - an HTML version of Joel Spitzer's 149 page free quitting book
  • Nicotine Addiction 101 - WhyQuit's guide to nicotine dependency.
  • Freedom from Tobacco - the Internet's only 100% nicotine-free quit smoking forum. Here, visitors will find 275,000 archived member posts indexed on 22 subject matter message boards.
  • Nicotine Cessation Topic Index - an alphabetical subject matter index to hundreds of nicotine cessation support group discussions at Freedom from Tobacco.

Joel

01 Jan 2008, 04:04 #55

With New Years Eve being here, our readers should be prepared for the onslaught of marketing for NRT and other pharmaceuticals products that is likely occuring in your area this week. Actually, I have not seen many NRT commercials on television this week but Chantix ads are running a lot in my local area.
The only thing a person needs to buy to successfully quit is to buy into the belief that to stay free is as simple and as inexpensive as just making and sticking to a personal commitment to never take another puff.
Joel
Last edited by Joel on 12 Apr 2009, 07:40, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

31 May 2008, 21:45 #56

Today is World No Tobacco Day. Depending on where you may live you need to be prepared for an onslaught of misinformation in order to sell products and services to help you to quit smoking. The only thing people need to "buy" in order to quit is to buy into the idea that they smoke because they are nicotine addicts and to successfully break free and stay free from the nicotine addiction now is as simple and inexpensive as just knowing to never take another puff.

Joel

FreedomNicotine

16 Nov 2009, 19:47 #57

Great American Smokeout Thursday:
Help Your Smoker Quit

ImageThursday is the 34th Great American Smokeout. It's a golden opportunity to gift wrap and hand smoking friends and loved ones the one quitting method they've likely never tried: a detailed understanding of their chemical dependency and the insights needed to arrest it.

Two free quit smoking books are available for download, printing and gift wrapping at WhyQuit, the nation's #1 "nicotine cessation" forum among 1.4 million Google search results.

"Never Take Another Puff" was written by Joel Spitzer, who has counseled smokers full-time since 1972 and is America's most quoted cessation educator. His free book has recorded more than 2 million downloads.

"Freedom from Nicotine - The Journey Home" was written by John R. Polito, the 1999 founder of WhyQuit and a former 30-year heavy smoker. It was released in January.

Ask yourself, what learning takes place by swallowing a pill, slapping on a patch, chewing gum, sucking a lozenge, being hypnotized, stuck with needles or pierced by lasers?

Investing the time needed to print and gift wrap the only quit smoking book your smoking friend or loved one has likely ever received, pretty much assures that your gift will be read.

Why expect our friends and loved ones to quit in ignorance and darkness? Why not hand them the insights that turn on the lights? Knowledge isn't just power. It's a quitting method.

No Copyright - Public Domain - For Immediate Release

Delmni

16 Nov 2009, 23:12 #58

Has anyone considered that the American Lung Association knows exactly what they are doing? What I mean by that is, maybe they know exactly how addicting Nicotine is, and that's why they push NRT's for people to quit on. The American Lung Association has figured out that most people have such a hard time quitting due to their addiction, that all they really need to do is get people off the smoke and not worry about the nicotine? After all it's the Lungs they are primarily worried about in smokers, and non-smokers in smoking environments breathing in the secondary smoke. Maybe once they get everyone off cigarettes then it will become the " Great NicotineGum and Patch Dump?"

I don't agree with it , I'm a real quitter having gone Cold Turkey. But you know what?.....whatever it takes and however long it takes doesn't matter, as long as everyone eventually does quit!

FreedomNicotine

17 Nov 2009, 15:29 #59

The Lung Association is just following the state of art advice of almost every other public health agency of the world. There are those in the organization who are working with the hypothesis that using NRT over the long-term is just simply safer than smoking and since so many if not most people cannot really quit or stay quit, these products are a valuable resource for them. The experts who are following this logic are the harm reductionist advocates. Then there are those experts who feel that these products enhance success, again, their logic often being that cold turkey is just too hard of a method for the average quitter to pull off. If either of their premises are right then their logic for promoting NRT is quite sound.

Bottom line though, is that people who have decided to join up at this site, and we suspect that a high percentage of readers who chose to utilize this site have come to their own realization that the premise of the harm reductionists and the experts who feel that average people cannot quit cold turkey are just simply wrong. Many have come to this conclusion by seeing how people quit in their own real world exposure to ex-smokers and many have come to realize that quitting is fully within the capability of average people because they have quit and realize that they really are average normal people.

As we see it, the problem with these products and the way they are promoted by the public health community as that they have not really worked in real world settings to help people to quit and in fact, have probably hurt the momentum of people quitting smoking that was created when the public health agencies spent their time informing the public of the dangers of smoking and the benefits of quitting. Following are a few articles that illustrate this point:

Joel's Reinforcement Library

40 Years of Progress?

I am attaching an article below from the January 19, 2004 issue of TIME magazine. It talks about the decline in smoking rates in America since the original release of the U.S. Surgeon General's report in January of 1964. The author was apparently led to believe that a whole lot more quitters would be successful if they would just stop trying to go cold turkey and use the many quitting aids available that can "double a person's chance of success."

One thing I want to comment on is how the article points out that smoking declined from 42% to 23% in the past 40 years, but how the drop-off stalled in 1990. The dates are interesting.

The article is saying is that there are a whole lot more effective ways to quit than by going cold turkey. It is basically talking about NRT products and Zyban. What is interesting is that almost all of these products came into widespread use in the 1990's--the years where the rapid decline in smoking cessation actually stopped.

Nicotine gum was first approved for use in America in 1984, by prescription only. In 1991 and 1992, four patches were approved for prescription use. In 1996 all controls broke loose--the gum and two of the four patches went over the counter and Zyban was just coming into the fray.

So now we have all of these miracle products available, many without prescription. If these products were so good at increasing success, and if they are being used by so many people you would think that smoking rates would be plummeting now when compared to when people just had to rely on their own resolve to quit.

Again, read the following line from the article below:

"The drop-off in smoking stalled in 1990 and has hardly budged since then."

Lets hope not too many miracle products for smoking cessation get introduced in the future as it may result in skyrocketing smoking rates.

The real way to once again increase the long-term success rate of people trying to quit is to help them to understand that they are fighting an addiction to nicotine and that to win that fight and to stay free forever is as simple as making and sticking to a commitment to Never Take Another Puff!

Joel
© Joel Spitzer 2004
Page last updated by Joel Spitzer on October 15, 2004

Y O U R T I M E / H E A L T H
Stub Out That Butt!
But don't try to go it alone. Here are some tricks that make it easier to quit
By CHRISTINE GORMAN

Monday, Jan. 19, 2004

More than 42% of adult Americans smoked when the first Surgeon General's Report on Smoking and Health was published. Today, 40 years later, fewer than 23% do. That's good news, but it could be better; a lot better. The drop-off in smoking stalled in 1990 and has hardly budged since then. Surveys show that 70% of tobacco users want to quit, but kicking the nicotine habit isn't easy.

What a lot of smokers don't realize is that the most popular method of quitting; just stopping, a.k.a. going cold turkey; is the least effective. Studies show that getting intensive short-term counseling, taking drugs like Zyban (an antidepressant) or using one of the many nicotine aids (gum, patch, inhaler, nasal spray, lozenge) all double the chance of success. Preliminary results suggest that combining these methods will increase success rates even more.

The trick is to find out what works best for you. For counseling, you don't have to go into full-fledged psychoanalysis; you can pick up practical strategies from various quit-smoking telephone hotlines (for a list of numbers as well as tips, visit smokefree.gov). As for nicotine products, make sure you're using them the right way. You need to chew the gum slowly, for example, not swallowing the saliva until the nicotine can be absorbed through the cheek, says Dr. Elliot Wineburg, who has used everything from drugs to hypnosis at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York City to help hard-core smokers quit. Many people try to make do with as little nicotine as possible, which is a mistake. "You don't want the brain to go into withdrawal," Wineburg says.

It's never too late to quit. As the years go by, an ex-smoker's risk of heart disease and stroke diminishes until it's essentially the same as that of a person who has never smoked, says Dr. Corinne Husten of the Centers for Disease Control's Office on Smoking and Health. Alas, the risk of lung cancer never quite gets down to what it would have been without smoking. "Even with cancer, people respond better to chemotherapy if they quit," Husten says. Best of all, of course, would be not to take up the habit in the first place.

FreedomNicotine

17 Nov 2009, 15:30 #60

Quitting Methods - Who to Believe?

Who should you believe on what is the most successful technique for quitting smoking - the government and most smoking cessation experts in the world and the professional health organizations of the world and the pharmacological industry and almost anyone whose career seems to be based in smoking cessation or me?
I guess using this standard it would be best not to believe me. But before jumping ship there is one other important group of people that you may find that will back me up and who are already quite credible to you. It's the people in your family and your friends in your real world who have successfully quit smoking and been off all nicotine products for at least one year or longer.

Find out how the people you know who are long-term ex-smokers actually stopped smoking. By long-term I mean people who are currently off all nicotine for at least a year or longer. You'll likely find that few if any of them have ever heard of me. You will see that many of them had previous quits and relapsed, using all sorts of methods that are endorsed by professionals and maybe even a few of them had professional help with previous attempts. You will find that almost all of them did not follow what is considered the standard recommended advice on how to quit yet they did quit and are still going strong. You'll find that they most likely quit by simply stopping smoking one day for one reason or another and then have been able to stay off by sticking to a commitment that they made to themselves to not take a puff.

Talk to every long-term ex-smoker you know. Do your own surveys. While you are at it, talk to the current smokers you know too. See how many of them have used products and followed the advice of the professionals. Keep in mind, most professional literature will advise people to use pharmacologic aids like nicotine replacement products. Try to see how many long-term successful quitters in your real world encounters actually followed this advice.

Another piece of advice written in most literature produced by smoking cessation experts is something to the effect that temporary slips are common and that you should not let a slip put you back to smoking. People who write advice like this do not understand addiction. A person needs to understand that taking a puff is likely going to kill a quit.

Try to find one smoker who once had quit but are now smokers again who didn't one day take a puff. Finding one such person who fits this criteria is going to take you forever. On the other hand finding current smokers you know who had once had quits that actually lasted for months, years or decades who lost their quits by taking that first puff are quite easy to find. Understand, some of these people had heard comments like, "don't let a slip make you go back to smoking," but sadly, found out from experience that they had little control of the matter once they took that puff.

Our advice if to successfully quit smoking is to simply stop smoking. Our advice for staying off cigarettes is simply to stick to a commitment to never take another puff. So talk to long-term ex-smokers and find out how they quit and hear how they have managed to stay off. Pretty soon you will see it is not a matter of pitting all of the world professionals against me. It becomes a matter of pitting every long-term ex-smoker you know who has successfully quit against the world's professionals. Do the surveys and then I will just become another voice in the crowd of real people who have proven to you that they way to quit smoking and to stay smoke free is to never take another puff!