Be prepared to hear some confusing information

Joel

31 May 2004, 19:21 #31

Everyone here has to know that they are drug addicts and to stay free is contingent on never administering nicotine again-not from cigarettes, cigars or pipes, not from chewing tobacco or snuff, not from nicotine laced products like inhalers, patches, gums, lozenges, or drops.

We are not just talking about not taking these products on special days like the day of a Smokeout, or New Years, or Christmas, or Thanksgiving, or Halloween, or Memorial Day, or Independence Day, any other holiday or special occasion that marks a new day or special day. Holidays and special days are no different than any other of the 365 days that occur in any year when it comes to drug addiction. They must all be treated the same-to overcome the passing of every 24 hour period for successfully smoke free entails always understanding that you must never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

22 Oct 2004, 07:55 #32

Image I see we had a post up questioning the logic of the use of NRT. This string has quite a bit of good information in it. The 36th post in this string had what I thought were some important insights on a newer tactic of encouraging ex-smokers to keep a supply of NRT around, "just in case" they get an urge. Here is the comment I wrote covering this concept:

I feel that I am would be being negligent now though if I did not point out a tactic that I have not seen so blatantly used before by the pharmaceutical industry. The idea that you should keep any source of nicotine on hand just in case is absolutely ludicrous. It gives the impression that people have to have some nicotine around in case they have an urge. The fact is ex-smokers don't have physical urges they have psychological . Taking a dose of nicotine to deal with a psychological trigger will basically start the physical process of withdrawal again. If a person does it he or she had better be prepared for three more days of withdrawal. He or she had better have a good supply of his or her quitting aid on hand again to get through the following days for he or she has started up an active need again.

I think the other way that this comment needs to be looked at is the idea that an ex-smoker has to have something on hand "just in case" the ex-smoker finds himself or herself wanting a cigarette. What might happen if a person gets a thought and has no aid? Will he or she stop breathing? Will his or her heart stop? Will he or she burst a blood vessel unless he or she takes nicotine product? None of these things will happen. For the record, most ex-smokers are going to get an occasional thought and if they have a nicotine product in hand and have a feeling that it is better than smoking, or that it is an either they are either going to take this NRT product or they are going to smoke, they are going to take the product. The bottom line is there was and always will be a third option, which is not to take the product and not smoke. The person will get through the event with their quit totally intact.

We are seeing a new level of nonsense now. Every one of our members are living proof that all you need to have with you to keep your quit strong and secure in times of major crisis, minor emergencies, or just plain random thoughts is a personal commitment to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

06 Mar 2005, 19:31 #33

I see we have a new event happening happening later this week in what I think is a UK event called "No Smoking Day." I thought it might be a good idea to bring materials up to address much of the marketing that is going to be aimed at smokers wanting to quit over the next week. The increases in advertising and media kind of coverage that occurs over the next week may in fact result in more people starting to think about smoking cessation. Unfortunately, many are going to get side tracked into the marketing blitz of products to buy to quit as opposed to getting any real education or help in understanding how to quit and how to stay off. Being that we have the potential of having more people finding their way to Freedom this week I will be keeping many of our educational materials and information supporting cold turkey quitting near the top. For the record, quitting smoking and staying smoke free is as simple as just stopping smoking and then making and sticking to a personal commitment to never take another puff! Joel

Joel

31 May 2005, 17:56 #34

Today is World No Tobacco Day. Depending on where you may live you need to be prepared for an onslaught of misinformation in order to sell products and services to help you to quit smoking. The only thing people need to "buy" in order to quit is to buy into the idea that they smoke because they are nicotine addicts and to successfully break free and stay free from the nicotine addiction now is as simple and inexpensive as just knowing to never take another puff.

Joel

Joel

09 Aug 2005, 23:22 #35

With so much media coverage happening in America and Canada at the moment because of Peter Jennings' death, I though I had better prepare our readers to be informed about conventional wisdom advice that may be given in the mainstream media.

Joel

15 Oct 2005, 08:56 #36

We have another month before we need to be worrying about this string in regards to the Great American Smoke Out. I am bringing it up here because it looks as if ABC News is going to be doing a story on quitting smoking. In case any of the producers actually stumble across our site, I thought it might be good to give them some insights to how we feel quitting stories often miss the mark when it comes to covering cold turkey quitting. Here is a link to the press release explaining that they are looking for people planning on quitting: ABC News Looking to Talk Hear From Smokers Wanting to Quit.

Joel

04 Nov 2005, 18:30 #37

Well it is quite obvious that the ABC producers didn't stumble across our site or chose to ignored us if they did. The series recommendations are following the standard line of how almost everyone would benefit if they just used NRT or other pharmaceutical interventions. Our hope still is though that while most viewers may not get the real story, the interest being sparked in a series about quitting smoking may bring more people to the Internet and more people to www.whyquit.com and to Freedom.

While this string has mostly been used for short term events like the Great American Smoke Out and World No Smoking Day, I feel that it is going to get more of a workout this year while the ABC series continues to run.

I am attaching the following comment to a number of strings that address the advantages of cold turkey quitting, as well as spell out the disadvantages of pharmaceutical interventions.

I am starting to see where cold turkey quitting is starting to get bashed pretty heavily in the media. One of the techniques that is being used is having smoking experts come out and say that while everyone seems to know one person who has quit cold turkey, that most people just cannot quit this way. They are trying now to undercut the real world examples that people are inevitably exposed to since since this is the way that most people have successfully quit smoking. I would agree that if a person just seemed to know only one person who had successfully quit smoking by a certain technique, it would be a clear sign that maybe the technique was not very successful. The issue is that if people go through the trouble of finding out what technique was used by ALL of the people they know who had quit smoking, they would most likely find that most if not all of them were in fact cold turkey quitters.

Here is the standard commentary I use when addressing the issue of talking to ex-smokers: I really do encourage all people to take this survey, talking to long-term ex-smokers in their real world. People who you knew when they were smokers, who you knew when they were quitting and who you still know as being successful long-term ex-smokers. The more people you talk to the more obvious it will become how people quit smoking and how people stay off of smoking. Again, people quit smoking by simply quitting smoking and people stay off of smoking by simply knowing that to stay smoke free that they must never take another puff!

Again, go talk to as many long-term successful ex-smokers (people off all forms of nicotine for at least a year or longer) in your real world that you can find and find out how they quit. I don't believe that there is a single professional smoking cessation NRT advocate who will suggest to their patients that they take a similar survey. For if they did their credibility would be called into question almost immediately when the patient starting seeing the results of their real life survey.

John (Gold)

10 Nov 2005, 11:13 #38

Great American Smokeout Thursday
Here in the U.S. Thursday Nov. 17th's dawn will herald the 29th Great American Smokeout and yet another opportunity to quit smoking. But there's been a slight change since the American Cancer Society's first Smokeout in 1976. Over the past two decades the pharmaceutical industry was allowed to redefined the word "quitting."

Instead of the Smokeout being a day to discover that life without nicotine might actually be do-able -- and the days that follow as well -- over the next week millions in marketing will be spent encouraging smokers to spend the day toying with pharmaceutical grade nicotine, otherwise known as nicotine replacement therapy or NRT- the nicotine patch, gum, lozenge and inhaler.

The sales pitch is usually two-fold. First, it will be suggested that in the real-world use the patch, gum or lozenge will double a quitter's chances of quitting for good. Next it will likely suggest that quitting cold turkey is extremely difficult or that few cold turkey quitters succeed. Both assertions are false.

As for it being almost impossible to quit smoking cold turkey, nothing could be further from the truth. The American Cancer Society's Cancer Facts and Figures 2003 report indicates that over 90% of all long-term successful quitters quit smoking cold turkey. With 46 million ex-smokers, it means that more than 40 million Americans quit have successfully quit smoking cold turkey.

Contrary to it being almost impossible to quit cold turkey, a far more accurate and honest representation would be that it is the cessation method used by almost all successful quitters.

As for being twice as effective, only in formal clinical studies - not here in the real world. California, Minnesota, London, Quebec, Maryland, never once in any quitter survey have NRT users generated a higher six month quitting rate than those quitting entirely on their own. Never! But how can that be?

The pharmaceutical industry has known all along that nicotine is a psychoactive chemical which produces alert dopamine/adrenaline intoxication. It provides an extremely alert unearned "aaahhh" reward sensation. It makes the heart pounds faster, the fingers to grow cold and the senses perk.

In clinical studies quitters were told that they had a 50/50 chance of receiving weeks or months of free NRT products, or being assigned to a placebo group where the patch, gum or lozenge was normally nicotine free.

A June 2004 study published in Addictive Behaviors looked at blinding in clinical NRT studies and found that they were not blind as claimed, as 71% assessing blindness failed their own assessment as "subjects accurately judged treatment assignment at a rate significantly above chance."

Let's put it this way. If you were a smoker hoping to get weeks or months of free nicotine gum would you have stuck around and allowed yourself to be toyed with if your expectations were frustrated? The opposite is also true. If your expectations were fulfilled, would you have stayed around and attended the study's counseling sessions, accepted ongoing instruction and support (which each have their own independent quitting effectiveness), and have generally cooperated with those you knew were your ongoing source of free pharmaceutical grade nicotine?

What's it all mean? It means that NRT's clinical victories were not earned but by default. Contrary to marketing innuendo, never once in any clinical study did NRT quitters compete with quitters wanting to quit cold turkey - quitters with every expectation of abruptly ending all nicotine use.

There is no money to be made in on-your-own quitting and cold turkey quitting has few champions. But that isn't entirely accurate. It depends on your definition of champion, as here in the U.S. we're over 40 million strong.

John (Gold x6)

Last edited by John (Gold) on 12 Apr 2009, 07:29, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

10 Nov 2005, 21:27 #39

I saw a new tactic performed last week on a news show that has been doing a month long series on smoking and quitting. The expert they brought in made a statement that smoking is a disease like diabetes or high blood pressure. Being a disease like these other two obviously meant that it needed to be treated like the other two, by using medications to treat the disease. I found it to be an interesting new tactic in the new spread of misinformation and misconceptions.

Smoking is not a disease like diabetes or hypertension. People with diabetes cannot wake up one day and just decide that they are not going to have diabetes or primary hypertension anymore. Many people do in fact need medications to treat those kind of illnesses or the secondary problems spawned by the conditions.

Smokers on the other hand do have the potential of one day just stopping and for all practical purposes eliminate the risk of all future damage caused by smoking. In America today we have more former smokers than current smokers, and over 90% of those people who have quit did so without the use of any medication. This statement cannot be made about diabetics or people with hypertension--where the majority of people who successfully overcame the disease did so without any medication or professional intervention whatsoever.

Smoking is not a disease like diabetes of hypertension. Smoking is a disease like alcoholism or narcotic addiction is a disease. You just don't see all of the experts in the world who deal with the diseases of addiction coming out and saying that the answer is all of the users of the world need to be put on medications to quit drinking or to get off drugs. Most people know that the way people successfully break free from addiction is to stop delivering the addictive substance. It seems that the professionals in the field of smoking cessation just cannot recognize what people have known for decades now on how to really gain control over diseases of addiction.

While smoking is not a disease like diabetes or hypertension, it does in fact result in many of the same complications as both of these diseases and others. In fact, people who do have these diseases and also smoke are magnifying the risks of a host of complications from their other preexisting condition. Again, while they may not be able to eliminate the risks and complications caused by their other diseases without medication, they can reduce the risks of problems caused from their past smoking and put an end to any future damage that smoking would cause by simply making and sticking to a personal commitment to never take another puff. Joel

JoeJFree Gold

10 Nov 2005, 23:01 #40

Nicotine REPLACEMENT Therapy?
Stated Purpose - Aid in Smoking Cessation.
What does the therapy aim to replace?
Naturally occuring NICOTINE found in tobacco.
What does the 'therapy' replace Nicotine with? Image
Active Ingredient (in each Patch): Nicotine (21 mg). Inactive Ingredients: Ethylene Vinyl Acetate-Copolymer, Polyisobutylene and High Density Polyethylene Between Pigmented and Clear Polyester Backings.

Huh? Replace nicotine with nicotine?

The premise is flawed.

Doesn't sound like any kind of replacement is going to happen to me.

SMOKING = Inhaling the gaseous by-product of a controlled burning of tobacco funnelled through a paper tube.

Purpose of Smoking = Obtain NICOTINE through fast absorption into the bloodstream through the lung tissue.

SMOKING is not the issue.

NICOTINE ADDICTION is the issue. Nicotine in the bloodstream and in a persons brain falsely reacting with aceteylcholine receptors thereby releasing dopamine inappropritaely is the issue.

Therefore it is tantamount to fraud, in my personal opinion, to purport replacing nicotine inhaled with nicotine absorbed through the skin (or through the mouth or digestion system) is a therapy that will help anyone stop smoking or chewing or swallowing or sniffing tobacco. Confusing information indeed.

I smoked for about forty years, since I was a child. I know alot about smoking. Since I learned about how nicotine addiction works & chose to permanantly remove it from my blood serum chemistry I've learned alot about nicotine addiction. Since getting rid of nicotine I have not even considered for a second lighting a piece of paper afire, blowing out the flame and inhaling the gaseous smoke. I have not been compelled to put my face near any type of combustion or flame so that I could inhale choking smoke.

SMOKING is NOT the PROBLEM.

It's the NICOTINE. Replace the word "cigarette" with "nicotine".Image

Break the Cycle. Get rid of the nicotine & begin your journey back to the natural you. Celebrate an amazing period of rapid healing during a brief period of adjustment and live free of nicotine's grip forever, as long as you never allow nicotine back into your blood serum chemistry by ANY means.

The only 'Therapy' that works permanently for Smoking Cessation is Nicotine REMOVAL Therapy!
JoeJ Free 10 Months = 304 Days living smoke-free as Just Me

- No Nicotine Required thank you very much!
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 12 Apr 2009, 07:30, edited 1 time in total.