Be Prepared for Holiday Triggers

Subconscious use cue extinguishment
Sal GOLD.ffn

24 May 2008, 09:14 #51

ImageIt is Memorial Day weekend in the USA.

Joel

26 May 2008, 20:32 #52

Being that we are now in the middle of a holiday, I thought it would be good to keep this one up near the top:

Driving to a specific place and following a route you have not driven since you quit smoking, and then getting together with family or friends who only gather on such occasion, or maybe it was eating with only a few people and maybe even being alone and feeling bad because so many others had big plans. Whatever the situation, the thoughts of smoking are likely to resurface from such time periods.

Not all days lend themselves to such predictability, but when they do occur it is best to be ready for them. By their expected nature they afford us the opportunity to take a little extra precaution. If you initially made a list of why you wanted to quit, the day of such events is a good time to pull it out and reread it. If you made posts the first few days here at Freedom, it would be a good time to review your early thoughts and the responses too. You will quickly see how strong of a grip cigarettes had, the importance you put on getting off of cigarettes, and realize that even though the day had its bad moments, in all likelihood it was easier than it was at the beginning and you never want to go through that state again.

I hope you all have a good day one way or another. But even if it is not a great get together, it will still be the first such occasion that you prove to yourself that you can survive it without a cigarette. That will make it a banner day. As awkward as it may or may not be, it will help prepare you for future such occasions. As with any other day, if you wake up the next morning still smoke free, the preceding day was a great day, at least in not smoking terms.

Since not smoking is a gift you give to yourself to help sustain your health and improve your life, whether it was hard or not now is not important. What is important is that it was possible to survive as an ex-smoker and have now proved to yourself that your life has gone on. This is the mark of a great day.

Also be aware that the day after a holiday can be awkward. Sometimes when contemplating an event is going to be rough you bring up a high level of resolve and focus to survive the situation. Once it passes then, you may go to bed relieved that it is finally over, confident that now it will be a breeze. As soon as you feel this sense of relief, you are a prime candidate for the following though process. "Boy, I am glad that is over. That was really tough, but I made it and now on the other side where it will now be easy. I did a great job. Boy do I deserve a cigarette for that!"

It really can happen this way. As soon as you feel it should be easy you can drop your guard. Do appreciate the fact that you did get through a time period, but always understand that moments can still occur and be prepared for them. And no matter what you do, you never deserve a cigarette for anything. A cigarette is not reward but rather a punishment of suicidal proportions.

When New Years or any other holiday that you may have unique to your country comes around, prepare yourself again. Come and read all the same posts, I will have them up again. As long as your guard is up AND your resolve is reinforced you will survive the first time triggers, but you really do need both safe guards in force. Some times are not as easy to predict, when triggers will occur, but others are somewhat foreseeable. At least take extra precautions for those times. For the unexpected triggers, just keep saying to yourself on a daily basis that you will not smoke today, spend a little time reminding yourself why you quit and why you don't want to go back, and always keep in practice to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

04 Jul 2008, 11:18 #53

Being that it is now the 4th of July holiday in America, I thought it would be good to keep this one up near the top:

Driving to a specific place and following a route you have not driven since you quit smoking, and then getting together with family or friends who only gather on such occasion, or maybe it was eating with only a few people and maybe even being alone and feeling bad because so many others had big plans. Whatever the situation, the thoughts of smoking are likely to resurface from such time periods.

Not all days lend themselves to such predictability, but when they do occur it is best to be ready for them. By their expected nature they afford us the opportunity to take a little extra precaution. If you initially made a list of why you wanted to quit, the day of such events is a good time to pull it out and reread it. If you made posts the first few days here at Freedom, it would be a good time to review your early thoughts and the responses too. You will quickly see how strong of a grip cigarettes had, the importance you put on getting off of cigarettes, and realize that even though the day had its bad moments, in all likelihood it was easier than it was at the beginning and you never want to go through that state again.

I hope you all have a good day one way or another. But even if it is not a great get together, it will still be the first such occasion that you prove to yourself that you can survive it without a cigarette. That will make it a banner day. As awkward as it may or may not be, it will help prepare you for future such occasions. As with any other day, if you wake up the next morning still smoke free, the preceding day was a great day, at least in not smoking terms.

Since not smoking is a gift you give to yourself to help sustain your health and improve your life, whether it was hard or not now is not important. What is important is that it was possible to survive as an ex-smoker and have now proved to yourself that your life has gone on. This is the mark of a great day.

Also be aware that the day after a holiday can be awkward. Sometimes when contemplating an event is going to be rough you bring up a high level of resolve and focus to survive the situation. Once it passes then, you may go to bed relieved that it is finally over, confident that now it will be a breeze. As soon as you feel this sense of relief, you are a prime candidate for the following though process. "Boy, I am glad that is over. That was really tough, but I made it and now on the other side where it will now be easy. I did a great job. Boy do I deserve a cigarette for that!"

It really can happen this way. As soon as you feel it should be easy you can drop your guard. Do appreciate the fact that you did get through a time period, but always understand that moments can still occur and be prepared for them. And no matter what you do, you never deserve a cigarette for anything. A cigarette is not reward but rather a punishment of suicidal proportions.

When Labor Day or any other holiday that you may have unique to your country comes around, prepare yourself again. Come and read all the same posts, I will have them up again. As long as your guard is up AND your resolve is reinforced you will survive the first time triggers, but you really do need both safe guards in force. Some times are not as easy to predict, when triggers will occur, but others are somewhat foreseeable. At least take extra precautions for those times. For the unexpected triggers, just keep saying to yourself on a daily basis that you will not smoke today, spend a little time reminding yourself why you quit and why you don't want to go back, and always keep in practice to never take another puff!

Joel

Chipits GOLD.ffn

12 Oct 2008, 01:29 #54

Thanksgiving in Canada this weekend!
You'll be full of turkey.....I mean full of THANKS, for GIVING this gift to yourself!!! And ever so satisfied for staying committed to be free of nicotine on this holiday or any other day of the year!!! We have much to be grateful for. Thank you to WhyQuit/FreedomFromTobacco for your simple recipe for cold turkey. Image
ODAT----ONE DAY AT AT TIME
NTAP----NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF

Joel

01 Nov 2008, 00:39 #55

Being that this is Halloween, I thought this would be a good threat to pop up to the top. For all of our members and readers who have quit for one year or less, seeing trick or treaters, carving pumpkins or attending a costume party for the first time can trigger memories of previous Halloweens, when smoking may very well have been incorporated into and of these activities. The first time doing it now as an ex-smoker may trigger smoking thoughts.

As it says above when taking about a different holiday:

When Labor Day or any other holiday that you may have unique to your country comes around, prepare yourself again. Come and read all the same posts, I will have them up again. As long as your guard is up AND your resolve is reinforced you will survive the first time triggers, but you really do need both safe guards in force. Some times are not as easy to predict, when triggers will occur, but others are somewhat foreseeable. At least take extra precautions for those times. For the unexpected triggers, just keep saying to yourself on a daily basis that you will not smoke today, spend a little time reminding yourself why you quit and why you don't want to go back, and always keep in practice to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

23 Dec 2008, 22:39 #56

Being that we are now approaching a major holiday season, I thought it would be good to keep this one up near the top:

When New Years or any other holiday that you may have unique to your country comes around, prepare yourself again. Come and read all the same posts, I will have them up again. As long as your guard is up AND your resolve is reinforced you will survive the first time triggers, but you really do need both safe guards in force. Some times are not as easy to predict, when triggers will occur, but others are somewhat foreseeable. At least take extra precautions for those times. For the unexpected triggers, just keep saying to yourself on a daily basis that you will not smoke today, spend a little time reminding yourself why you quit and why you don't want to go back, and always keep in practice to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

01 Jan 2009, 09:46 #57

From above:

Being that we are now approaching a major holiday season, I thought it would be good to keep this one up near the top:

Joel

FreedomNicotine

24 Dec 2009, 18:06 #58

From above:

Joel
Last edited by FreedomNicotine on 24 Dec 2009, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.

Ryanisfree

27 Dec 2009, 07:13 #59

Joel,

This may not be the right place to post this, but I just want to thank you for the work you do. Today I have been free from nicotine for over four months and a good part of that has to do with you and the great advice you have given on this site. Today I ran, yes RAN !!!!, 7.5 miles and felt so wonderfully light and free that I can't really describe it. Anyway, I just want you to know that you have helped me so much. Thank you.

Ryan
Ryan - Free and Healing for Four Months, Four Days and 43 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 6 Days and 13 Hours, by avoiding the use of 1890 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $475.07.

grandmaroux

27 Dec 2009, 15:52 #60

So true about the holiday triggers. For me I have had a few here and there, I have found most of them to be when I am really really busy. I have been getting a little stressed and the odd trigger or "thought" has occurred. In order to combat that I have been voicing my reasons and my resolve to Never Take Another Puff , to anyone that will listen!! Saying everything out loud has really helped. When a crowd of people have left I have also felt a "trigger". I know that this is because that always used to be my signal to relax. So I have chosen to read for awhile instead. I have had the odd trigger, and I have not been happy about it. I was hoping they would all be gone by now. However, in saying all that, while all the grandchildren and kids were here we were out playing a game of hockey and just fun skating on the rink that my hubby made this year. I had a blast and I am happy to say I really did not get tired or out of breath. That was fun and each extra day I get with my grandchildren makes every fought off trigger worth it. NTAP!!
Doris
Free for 10 months