Be Prepared for Holiday Triggers

Subconscious use cue extinguishment
Joel

20 Jun 2005, 08:30 #31

Image Father's Day rituals may have been a trigger for some people.
Last edited by Joel on 04 Jul 2009, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.

kattatonic1 gold4

30 Jun 2005, 20:50 #32

As I prepare for my long weekend, I know some of you will be conquering new triggers this weekend for the first time. This is what I wrote last year. I believe it more than ever this year!
Nicotine is not a reward. Why would we ruin a wonderful picnic, a day with the family, or an evening under the stars watching fireworks by inhaling the toxic fumes of a burning weed? That sounds like punishment to me! (Smells like it too.)
Happy Canada Day to my Canadian quit friends, and
Happy Independence Day to my American quit friends!

They are both good days to reflect on our Freedom.

Kay (Gold)
Celebrating 1 Year, 6 Months, 7 Days, 3 Hours and 19 Minutes of Freedom!
Forsaking 11103 rolls of burning toxic weeds and chemicals
has liberated $3,635.19 and 38 Days and 13 Hours of my life.

Joel

02 Jul 2005, 19:36 #33

In America we are now officially in the three day holiday weekend that defines the beginning of the summer season in many people's mind. There may be numerous triggers being faced many of our less than one year quitters. Everyone should be on their guard and be mentally prepared that there may be a few more thoughts about smoking than normal. At the same time, no one should feel unduly threatened or intimidated by these possible thoughts, for thoughts and triggers have no potential of undercutting a quit by causing a relapse as long as you continue to stick to your personal commitment to never take another puff.

Joel

John (Gold)

25 Dec 2005, 01:38 #34

Image Don't let remote or seasonal triggers rob you of your healing, glory and very possibly your life. There's just no guarantee that any of us could ever come this far again. Go the distance!

Joel

31 Dec 2005, 20:03 #35

Image For our members and readers experiencing their first New Year's and their first three day holiday weekend.

Joel

30 Apr 2006, 05:02 #36

While this article references holiday issues, the concept covers can also apply to the issue of traveling or participating in activities where other risky behaviors can occur. As it says above:

Not all days lend themselves to such predictability, but when they do occur it is best to be ready for them. By their expected nature they afford us the opportunity to take a little extra precaution. If you initially made a list of why you wanted to quit, the day of such events is a good time to pull it out and reread it. If you made posts the first few days here at Freedom, it would be a good time to review your early thoughts and the responses too. You will quickly see how strong of a grip cigarettes had, the importance you put on getting off of cigarettes, and realize that even though the day had its bad moments, in all likelihood it was easier than it was at the beginning and you never want to go through that state again.

Joel

04 Jul 2006, 19:25 #37

For the 4th of July activities of our American members.

From above:

In America we are now officially in the three day holiday weekend that defines the beginning of the summer season in many people's mind. There may be numerous triggers being faced many of our less than one year quitters. Everyone should be on their guard and be mentally prepared that there may be a few more thoughts about smoking than normal. At the same time, no one should feel unduly threatened or intimidated by these possible thoughts, for thoughts and triggers have no potential of undercutting a quit by causing a relapse as long as you continue to stick to your personal commitment to never take another puff.

Joel

Joel

03 Sep 2006, 20:36 #38

For those participating Labor Day type activities in the United States.

Also be aware that the day after a holiday can be awkward. Sometimes when contemplating an event is going to be rough you bring up a high level of resolve and focus to survive the situation. Once it passes then, you may go to bed relieved that it is finally over, confident that now it will be a breeze. As soon as you feel this sense of relief, you are a prime candidate for the following though process. "Boy, I am glad that is over. That was really tough, but I made it and now on the other side where it will now be easy. I did a great job. Boy do I deserve a cigarette for that!"

It really can happen this way. As soon as you feel it should be easy you can drop your guard. Do appreciate the fact that you did get through a time period, but always understand that moments can still occur and be prepared for them. And no matter what you do, you never deserve a cigarette for anything. A cigarette is not reward but rather a punishment of suicidal proportions.

When Christmas comes, prepare yourself again. Come and read all the same posts, I will have them up again. As long as your guard is up AND your resolve is reinforced you will survive the first time triggers, but you really do need both safe guards in force. Some times are not as easy to predict, when triggers will occur, but others are somewhat foreseeable. At least take extra precautions for those times. For the unexpected triggers, just keep saying to yourself on a daily basis that you will not smoke today, spend a little time reminding yourself why you quit and why you don't want to go back, and always keep in practice to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

24 Nov 2006, 21:05 #39

Even though one holiday has passed, we are not entering into the holiday season. Be prepared for triggers from songs, shopping, and holiday gatherings.

Joel

01 Jan 2007, 07:50 #40

New Year's Eve can be loaded with smoking triggers.