Be Prepared - Alcohol and Your Quit

Philip2825

27 Dec 2005, 16:12 #21

I'm a new quitter who, since quitting, has enjoyed occasional drinks at home and even more over the holidays!
I had no problems at all but I certainly wouldn't want to be in a smoke filled bar. Or any smoke filled room for that matter.
I also have a few drinking buddies. We tend to have a couple of beers at home and all are 'neversmokers.'
But I would definitely agree with this advice. You don't want to get bombed around smokers.
Philip (Day 23)

hol2035

04 Feb 2006, 06:31 #22

Awesome thread, I have to comment: This was one of my biggest fears when I quit, I thought, "How in the WORLD am I ever going be able to go out again???!!!" You see, I was and am a "party-type"...heck, I plan parties/events for a living pretty much and am always out and about. I always associated going out and good times, with smokes. So as you can imagine, I was petrified! Then I thought about it...I knew I wanted to quit, I was done, I had my "come-to-Jesus moment" and nothing was going to make me EVER take another puff.

Soooo...the game was on, it was me versus the cigarette, and I'm competitive person and wasn't about to let that ugly litter sucka win. Image So 3 days into my quit, I was meeting with colleagues at a bar to discuss a trade show (several of them are smokers) we had beers, they smoked, I didn't. That was the toughest thing I ever did, especially after 6 beers. But I didn't break. And woke up the next moring with a feeling of "proud" I've never felt before. Also, I didn't have the "smoke-over".

I continued to go out to happy hours and different bars and dinner parties and still do. I REFUSE to let this addiciton keep me away from going places and doing things I like. Some times are harder than others, but all in all, I've made myself very proud. I make a decision each and every day, that I will NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF! It's a daily battle and daily decision. And that's that.....but everyone is different and that's just my story and my way of coping.

I will admit that smokey bars are not ideal Image and I pick and choose where I go now more selectively. The smoke really gets to me now and I hate going home smelling like a cigarette, yuck!

I will be GREEN tomorrow, hooray! And in those 30 day's I've been in about 10 different alcohol/bar situitations. Some easier than others, but never-the-less I survived and made the decison I wasn't going to let the cigarette win. I would imagine how bad I felt after just a dream that I smoked, so I do not want to feel that way, it's awful. Not only that, I looked at it like, if I can make it thru that, I can do anything b/c that's generally when I smoked, I was a VERY social smoker.

Anyway, that's my story and felt compelled to share. Best of luck to all of you in your quits and to the lurkers, you can do it, find FREEDOM, it's so sweet! Image

Judi - ALMOST GREEN!
I have been nicotine free for 4 Weeks, 1 Day, 18 hours, 26 minutes and 25 seconds (29 days). I have saved $47.62 by not smoking 238 cigarettes. I have saved 19 hours and 50 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 01/04/2006 10:00 PM

JoeJFree Gold

04 Feb 2006, 07:20 #23

Judi,
I very much enjoyed your very good, honest, straight-forward sharing of your experience. Very insightful. We each must determine what our level of control is and can be.
My experience has been very similar. I set out to get rid of something I did not want in my life any longer - Tobacco Cigarettes. I found it easier still when I realized it was nicotine I was getting rid of - the cigarettes were the delivery vehicle and the tobacco was the medium.
Try replacing the word "cigarette" with nicotine &
Another slant on how to watch people smoke were two quit builder articles for me early on that allowed me to see what those 'smokers' were really doing and why drinking alcohol makes consumption of those nicotine delivery devices rise when alcohol in introduced into our blood serum chemistry.
In my view, it seems when you break addiction down to its barest basics, we win through controlling our personal blood serum chemistry and using our mind's power to clearly see that living nicotine clean is the way were were designed to be.
It is Knowledge that gives us the Power to arrest our addictive behaviors. We use knowledge and self-determination to exercise our Freedom of Choice. We each have the power within us to turn information into action and live as we were meant to be, nicotine free.
JoeJ Free - NicotineFree and Living as I was meant to be for One Year, Twenty Four Days, 7 Hours and 42 Minutes, while reclaiming 33 Days and 19 Hours,
by choosing not to use 9733 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $1,953.36
NTAP!
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 12 Apr 2009, 07:05, edited 1 time in total.

nancy999

19 Mar 2006, 10:18 #24

Next to dealing with my quit and morning coffee- this was my number 2 danger trigger. The morning coffee has been bearable, at first simply because there are no ciggys available to smoke. Having a drink at home is the same- much easier when they are not at hand! A bar, club or pub is quite different. Here are some of the things that have helped me thru my first few times out:
  1. Have a nice talk with yourself BEFORE you go out to reinforce your strength (reread whatever you consider to be your most motivational threads, link or info). Tell yourself that if you're going to get drunk, it will NOT affect your resolve in your quit. I wrote down the names of those that lost their battle with nictoine and kept them in my pocket.
  2. Tell everyone you're with and everyone you meet that you just quit and how PROUD you are of yourself. I find most people I know will support a quitter and won't let you bum one.
  3. Keep your reasons for quitting with you. If you feel weak, go to the bathroom, read the list then look yourself in the mirror (as you're washing your hands).
  4. Try volunteering to be the designated driver. It fits in perfectly to practice your quit in a bar once or twice, and your friends will love it!
  5. To thine own self be true. If you know it's going to be unbearable, then simply don't go. You won't die if you stay away from the bar for a few weeks.
  6. Also, just not drinking for a night or so works too. I have to admit, I rasied some eyebrows when I ordered an iced tea (no, not a long island) for the first few weeks. Even impressed them more!
  7. If you feel yourself weakening - go to the restroom and look yourself in the mirror OR go outside for some fresh air! FEEL how good fresh air feels.
  8. Don't dwell on the smokers, observe the NON smokers. Take their lead - not smoking and having a good time. They can do it, so can you!
  9. Here's one that may not make you popular, but it worked for me. Talk and talk and talk about the facts, whyquit, etc.
Well, I hope one of these help one of you partiers out there. What helps me the most is my dedication to NTAP - these are a close second.

4Taylor

13 May 2006, 07:55 #25

I highly recommend no alcoholic beverages the first week. It's true about your inhibitions with alcohol. You might just not care. I've been enjoying wine in the evenings and it actually helps me to relax from white knuckling all day!!!! I haven't ventured out to a bar yet but in my state smoking anywhere is forbidden so it shouldn't be too hard.

Kristin

I have been quit for 1 Week, 4 Days, 16 hours, 52 minutes and 15 seconds (11 days). I have saved $58.51 by not smoking 292 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day and 20 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 5/1/2006 12:00 AM
Last edited by 4Taylor on 17 Jun 2011, 13:21, edited 1 time in total.

Sal GOLD.ffn

26 Aug 2006, 07:52 #26

From above:

The odds of a brand new quit surviving the pub or bar scene while consuming large quantities of alcohol are not promising!

Walking into an environment loaded with ashtrays, lighters and packs everywhere in a smoke and smoker filled room, while consuming a mind and sense altering substance during a temporary period of time that you were giving it your all not to smoke nicotine can be a tragic mistake, even fatal.

Although alcohol has been found to play a role in half of all fatal vehicle collisions, its death toll in relation to the destruction of quits is even greater.

My advice is simple! Think it though, plan ahead, keep your guard up, and always remember that you can walk away.

Danielle

17 Sep 2006, 09:38 #27

I went out last night and had a few drinks with a friend who smokes. I have to say that since they have changed the law here (no-smoking inside) it sure made it easier not to fixate on wanting a nic fix when there isn't anyone around smoking. So all in all I made it through the night with out wanting one...DanielleImage

I have been quit for 1 Week, 2 Days, 20 hours, 23 minutes and 38 seconds (9 days). I have saved $35.45 by not smoking 147 cigarettes. I have saved 12 hours and 15 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 9/6/2006 10:15 PM

elfarsto

18 Aug 2007, 15:54 #28

Good article. I've been free for 15 days and I haven't braved a single drink yet. It is probably my greatest fear because alcohol has ruined 100% of my past quits. I can recall at least 6 drunken smokes that ended quits ranging from between 2 weeks and 12 months. I've considered quitting drinking altogether, but I don't want to tie smoking to drinking in my mind so that I automatically pick up one when I pick up the other.

When I feel ready to drink again, I'm going to give it a few practice runs at home away from the temptations that a bar brings with it. I've never been more determined to NTAP and when it comes down to it that is the most important thing!

Evie

10 Dec 2007, 12:58 #29

Alcohol and nicotine used to be one of my favorite combinations and drinking and smoking at bars was a common pastime. One easier part of my quit is the fact that smoking is no longer allowed in bars here in Washington state. One must go outside and it is cold and wet this time of year. Walking "through the smokers" into a smokefree bar used to be somewhat painful but now has become a pleasure. Making smoking unallowed/illegal in most public places has been one of my incentives to quit and to stay quit. Smoke none, drink less, live longer!!!

Tracy

22 Mar 2008, 09:56 #30

I had not smoked for around 9 months and on Valentine's Day I drank WAY too much and on the way home, at about 2am, I decided I needed to smoke. I also thought in my inebriated state that the nicotine wouldn't effect me. I would probably wake up and not even remember that I had smoked the night before.

Five years later...here I am quitting again.

So I read this post and I understand. I knew that I couldn't just have one cigarette. If I had been sober I would never have made such a ridiculous decision to reintroduce nicotine in my system.

So if you do decide to drink just make sure you have armed yourself with knowledge and maybe moderate the amount you consume. That is what I have chosen. I keep it to 2 and I know that I will never have drank so much that it will change my decision making capabilities.

Tracy - Free and Healing for Twenty Eight Days, 19 Hours and 10 Minutes.
It isn't always easy, but it is always simple.
Never take another puff or dip!