John (Gold)

01 Jan 2003, 05:37 #11

Be careful drinking this New Years
as your life may depend on it !

OBob Gold

01 Jan 2003, 06:39 #12

Alcohol and quitting
Eat, drink and be merry.
Last edited by OBob Gold on 06 Mar 2009, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.

OBob Gold

01 Jan 2003, 06:42 #13

Wrote this to a member a while back...

This was certainly a challenge for me the first few times at the pub. And, I dealt with it on those occassions by preparing for it BEFORE I got the pints on the table. Before I went out, I reaffirmed my commitment that, at least on THAT night, I wouldn't smoke. It's a tricky business, but I found that if I made the commitment, and repeated it over and over to myself while SOBER, it was easier to stick to it when I got soused.

I think the reason it helps, is that you can formulate some mantras while sober that can carry you through a situation later in the night when you're not. You have your reasoning powers when you're sober, and you can give yourself a 1...2...3... list that you can use later on. However, once you've tipped a few back, you no longer have those reasoning powers. If you haven't given them to yourself ahead of time, you may find yourself FACE TO FACE with Nic, with NO defenses prepared, and he's armed to the teeth, having waited to find you in just such a defenseless state.

I've even brought things I've written down to help me through the event. In fact, I remember when Tess (my wife) went out for one of her first nic-free trips to the pub, she printed out something particularly inspirational from one of the members here (Hal), and carried it with her. She promised herself that if she got tempted, she would take a break, head for the jax (, and read it before making her decision on whether or not to smoke. It got her through a tough night.

Again though, the key point is that she went into the night with a SIMPLE plan. I think the SIMPLICITY is key, because we tend to **** complex things up when we're in the horrors. You formulate the plan while sober, you write it out (or print it out) if you think it'll help, you promise yourself you'll make it through JUST THAT NIGHT without toking, and you also promise yourself that you'll NEVER just simply reach for the ciggie, or buy the Drum without first giving yourself a coupla minutes to review your plan.

Remember....
Prepare. Commit. Affirm.
Celebrate the New Year tonight.
Celebrate your freedom in the morning.

richard This is It GOLD

08 Mar 2003, 01:02 #14

Off to Vegas again tonight.... (double birthday celebration)... and won't be around for a few days.

While sorting out some clothes to take, guess what.... out falls a pack of cigarettes and a lighter from an old jacket. Absolutely ZERO trigger at all as they were calmly dispatched to the bin...... that's what I call Freedom Image

Have a good weekend all.... and remember.... don't puff.... there is no need....

ComicForces GOLD

08 Mar 2003, 01:21 #15

Just figured I'd post a portion of my "two week mark" post here - in case this insight will help any other "newbies" like myself -

During a previous quit of mine (a few years back, before I ever knew about Freedom - a 6 month failed quit, while out drinking (I have also said before that I am a social drinker - just so happens my circle of friends likes to congregate in bars and parties, etc) I used to sit and be miserable about the fact that I couldn't have a smoke. I never felt FREE, I just felt obsessive the whole time. I have been in 2 different bar situations since my quit…. And neither time was it as hard for me as it was even at 5 months in my previous quit. This is because I felt I was making a choice - a good choice. I was more present…and everyone around me was smoking, both times.

I have developed sort of a new perspective on other smokers. I guess I used to have that jealousy thing going on. (I mean, it still creeps up as I am only at 2 weeks…). But now I tend to look at these people thinking that if they are not already disgusted with their "habit" (we here know it's an addiction but I called it a habit right there because that's what they THINK it is), they will be soon enough.. And instead of me looking at them with jealousy, I think that THEY may be (or will EVENTUALLY be) looking at ME with jealousy. They will admire my strength…and when they see me having a truly good time, and being truly present, WITHOUT smoking, they will admire me, and hopefully see me as an inspiration. I do not have to tell these people to look at me that way, or discuss my quit. If they are true addicts and even remotely acknowledging the fact that smoking is a problem for them, they will admire me for what I am doing, and they will long for the freedom I have - or at least am beginning to have (and will eventually really will have as completely as possible).

John (Gold)

01 Nov 2003, 02:46 #16

Imagine being in early chemical withdrawal while your brain dopamine, serotonin and adrenaline neurotransmitters were in the process of trying to again adjust to functioning without nicotine. Imagine while your conscious dreams of freedom doing a wonderful job suppressing, calming and overcoming subconscious fears, craves and anxieties associated with leaving its sense of normal, it's world of nicotine normal. Now imagine taking early recovery into a smoke and smoker filled environment and then commencing to drink large quantities of a mind altering and inhibition diminishing substance. What are the chances of success?
It's what these threads are all about. Although we teach that you need not give up anything when quitting that rule must be applied using a bit of common sense. We also teach baby steps and little bites and those principles work well in helping each of us work-up to fully engaging all aspects of life. Alcohol may play a role in half of all fatal vehicle collisions but it likely plays a much greater role in the death toll stemming from nicotine relapse. Plan ahead and protect your investment in life!
Breathe deep, hug hard, live long Freedom! John
Last edited by John (Gold) on 12 Apr 2009, 07:03, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

08 Nov 2003, 09:54 #17

We deeply believe that it isn't necessary to give up or change any aspect of your life when quitting but this is one area where a bit of common sense is needed during the first few days. Think it through, plan ahead and don't forget that baby steps are just fine when first learning to walk. Just one objective, no nicotine today!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 12 Apr 2009, 07:04, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

31 Jan 2004, 04:06 #18

It is imperative that everyone here recognizes that everything you can do as a smoker, you can also do as an ex-smoker. You just have to teach yourself how. Somethings you are forced early on to learn immediately, how to eat, sleep, use the washroom, breath, etc. These are things that are required from day one for survival, so even though you may resist doing one of them, you can't resist it for long and will thereby be forced to start to break the association to smoking early on. Other things are sometimes put off and seen as not critical to face early on. Things like working, laundry, cleaning, brushing teeth, combing hair, etc. While it is true you won't die if you stop one of these activities for a day or two, putting off doing them too long will create a set of problems that can be quite annoying to those around you. Besides threatening your livelihood and making you look like a slob in general, if carried on too long, you can really start to feel intimidated that you may not be able to do one or more of these activities ever again. Once again I need to repeat the opening sentence here, everything you do as a smoker, you can also do as an ex-smoker--but you have to teach yourself how.
Now when it comes to areas of less importance, watching tv, sports, playing cards, being a couch potato, and yes, even drinking with friends--things that are not necessary for survival and in fact, things that may not even be good for you, well, the truth is you can do these things too as an ex-smoker. The same process is necessary though, you have to teach yourself how. Holding off too long can create a sense of intimidation, the feeling that you can never do it again. This simply is not the case, you will be able to get yourself back to your prequit existence if you choose to.
Drinking is a special case because the association is so strong and by its very nature lowers your inhibitions and can cause people to do some very irrational behaviors. Smoking can be one of them. Because of the drug influence, it is best to take it on gradually, in the beginning in a safe environment. By that I mean the first time, limit it to one drink just to show yourself you can do that. Also, do it with people who are non-smokers and who really are supportive of your quit. This is a much safer situation in the beginning by going out with drinking smoking buddies who may be a tad envious of your quit, and who, while drinking also have their inhibitions lowered that may manifest in behaviours of encouragement of your smoking at a time when you are more vulnerable.
Soon you will be able to face these environments too, but work your way their gradually, breaking some of the association and intimidation factors in the safer controlled environments. The fact is though, for the rest of your life you will need to keep your guard up, in a sense reminding yourself of your reason for having quit and the importance to stay off smoking everytime before you go drinking. It prepares you to face the situation in a much safer state of readiness.
One special note I need to make here. When I say everything you do as a smoker, you can do as an ex-smoker, the reverse is also true for some activities. If you were a recovering addict to alcohol or any other substance before, you couldn't use that substance as a smoker and you can't as an ex-smoker either without a full blown relapse.
There are some things you may be able to do now that you couldn't do before due to physical limitations posed by smoking. You may find that you are capable of doing activities that you gave up years ago because you were too old to do them or they hurt when you tried, and now, without smoking limiting you physically, you may find you will recapture activities you lost in your youth. This is great when it happens. But again, use of a substance you had a known problem with in the past is still an issue as an ex-smoker and will be for the rest of your life.
So anyway, use your own timetable that you are comfortable with, but the sooner you prove to yourself that life goes on without smoking, the sooner the concept of life after cigarette will become less intimidating and actually welcomed. Just start out gradually and in the case of alcohol, in a little bit of a safer more controlled environment and fashion.
The way to learn to do everything though is to gradually do everything while always remembering to never take another puff!
Joel
Last edited by John (Gold) on 21 Aug 2009, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

15 Jun 2004, 05:00 #19

Be very very careful during early recovery. Within a couple of weeks you'll do fine but getting intoxicated while still in early withdawal, while badly craving nicotine, is not an intelligent move. Break it down into baby steps. Remember, you can always walk away.

This is your gift to you. Protect it above all else as your health and very likely your life are depending 100% upon you! There's only one rule - no nicotine today. The next few minutes are all that ever matter and each is entirely doable. We'll all be with you in spirit. Breathe deep, hug hard, live long! John (Gold x5)

SPUDTFN

06 Jan 2005, 09:10 #20

This is interesting for me to read since I already nearly made this mistake. Day 2 for me was New Years Eve in a pub with smoker friends. The good news is I survived. But I do not recommend it though. It hurt and I could just as easily stepped over the edge and committed slow suicide with one puff.