Avoiding Triggers

Subconscious use cue extinguishment
whosthisitsmesilly

25 Mar 2006, 00:51 #11

Ive been avoiding this trigger which is sitting at my pc to write an assignment. Ive split the time i sit and go for walks and such like . Have coffee breaks tea breaks. Its been over two weeks ive quit. I know i will never take another puff. Image Its not a particulary interesting assignment and i would have procrastinated in the past with cigarette smoking. Hence the avoidance of actualy sitting to get it done. I need to now coz its due for monday. I will keep this site open for reading matter and positive enforcement Image

I have been quit for 2 Weeks, 2 Days, 16 hours, 52 minutes and 33 seconds (16 days). I have saved £69.31 by not smoking 334 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 3 hours and 50 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 08/03/2006 00:00
Cathy

Sal GOLD.ffn

13 Apr 2006, 08:55 #12

Putting off facing certain activities triggers will likely prolong the stress, anxieties and fears that you will not be able to overcome the specific situation without relapse.

All people who quit must realize that all you did as a smoker you can do as an ex-smoker too. All it takes is proving it to yourself one situation at a time.

You can continue to live your life and get through all events with your quit intact as long as you always remember to stick with your personal commitment to never take another puff!

Joel

auntvaleria

13 Apr 2006, 10:43 #13

All you did as a smoker, you can do as a ex-smoker.
All it takes is proving it to yourself one situation at a time.
One day at a time; Never take another puff!

Imageaunt valeria

I have been quit for 1 Month, 2 Weeks, 3 Days, 2 hours, 12 minutes and 58 seconds (48 days). I have saved $132.24 by not smoking 961 cigarettes. I have saved 3 Days, 8 hours and 5 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 2/23/2006 7:30 PM

Sal GOLD.ffn

23 Apr 2006, 21:09 #14

ImageFrom above:
Putting off facing certain activities triggers will likely prolong the stress, anxieties and fears that you will not be able to overcome the specific situation without relapse.

All people who quit must realize that all you did as a smoker you can do as an ex-smoker too.

All it takes is proving it to yourself one situation at a time.

You can continue to live your life and get through all events with your quit intact as long as you always remember to stick with your personal commitment to never take another puff!

Joel

Almost Island Gold

24 Apr 2006, 06:37 #15

Thank U Joel, Than U Freedom for such wise words. As a matter of fact I almost relapsed after having ran away from a trigger when I finally encountered it involuntarily. It is the big lesson of my quit: it's forbidden to avoid triggers forever, not even a single one. Just have to remember to Never Tave Another Puff whatever trigger is.
fernanda
Last edited by Almost Island Gold on 10 Apr 2009, 12:06, edited 2 times in total.

Caninegold asst

08 Sep 2006, 10:33 #16

I have renamed my "triggers" and call even the possibility a "victory" because I can foresee, forwarn and move forward. Life is there to enjoy, not avoid. When I was thinking "trigger" it seemed harder, maybe like the word "diet"?
Just a thought.
Lianne

Marixpress

08 Sep 2006, 21:26 #17

I was inundated by triggers within my first 72 hours of not smoking. I was brought to the point of tears. Looking back now and knowing I made it through that gives me the strength to take anything on in life. I am so proud!

Joel

14 Oct 2006, 21:51 #18

I just made an audio version of this story. It is at http://www.whyquit.com/videos/homesmokingoffice.wmv.
As in the case of the audio tape I made yesterday regarding "I can't quit" ... or ... "I won't quit"? being in an audio format allows me to add a little more detail than I use in the written letter. Of course, it also makes them harder to edit.
While recording this sequence, I ended up using the real name of the person three times, when I was making a concerted effort to use the name Mark. I am getting faster at editing out these kind of errors.
John pointed out that there were discrepencies in my last audio tape as compared to the letters. The letters were written to be as concise as possible. I am not particularly skilled at speaking as concise as possible. I am adding in additional details in the audio and video segments that may have been cut from the written version of these stories.
The main discrepency in this story is the distance Mark had to travel. In my letter on the topic here I said 20 miles each way. The suburb involved is pretty wide, and I think that driving distance to downtown Chicago from the East end of that suburb would be around 15 miles and the West end would be 20 miles. Come to think of it, downtown Chicago is pretty big too so there may be even a little more variation in distance. Mark never said how far he was driving, I was just estimating it from the general suburb distance that I knew he lived in.
The audio version here is just a little over 10 minutes. I am hoping that people who have not been viewing the videos because of slow internet connections may find this version of media more usable. I would have been doing audio from the beginning but just couldn't figure out how. I made some technological leaps over the past few days giving me more flexibility in this kind of media production.
I hope all of these new tools become valuable resources in helping people to make and stick to a personal commitment to never take another puff.
Joel
Last edited by Joel on 10 Apr 2009, 12:07, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

29 Nov 2006, 09:18 #19

roho diablo

30 Nov 2006, 06:27 #20

Wouldn't it be safe to say avoiding triggers in the beginning of a quit is wise but to continue to do so is harmful? I am still in the mindset of avoiding situations I know could be hard for me but understand the need to put myself directly in the face of them in the future, in order to move past my fear.
What is a reasonable amount of time before I nned to come out of hiding? I'm sure it varies for each person and situation.
Di
I have been quit for 1 Week, 2 Days, 14 hours, 31 minutes and 9 seconds (9 days). I have saved $34.57 by not smoking 144 cigarettes. I have saved 12 hours of my life. My Quit Date: 11/20/2006 12:00 AM