Attention Lurkers

Attention Lurkers

Hillbilly(Gold)

11 Jul 2002, 21:00 #1

If you're lurking here, looking around wondering what Freedom is all about, maybe this will help.

I've been off cigarettes for nearly three months. Or, more accurately I've been off nicotine. I have received a lot of education here that has made me realize that I am a nicotine addict and, as such, I need to act like one. I was one hard-core smoker, up to two or three packs a day at times, as dedicated "I can't quit" smoker as you will ever find (or be).

Quitting has not been easy but it has not been impossible, either. As a relative newcomer here, (some of the members have been here for years) I can tell you that all that is going on here is support and advice for people who really want to quit using nicotine and who don't know how. This site is for the intelligent quitter who needs to see the logic in what he is doing.

The thinking here is not that smokers are stupid. None of us see ourselves as stupid and it wasn't that long ago that we smoked. Smokers are human and humans make mistakes. Most smokers want to quit but are afraid of failure. We're afraid it's going to be too hard to quit and that we can't do it. I'm here to tell you that it is possible to quit, it's not too hard, and that quitting is not going to forever be like the first three days.

The teaching here is that in three days nicotine will be out of your system and physical withdrawal will begin to pass. For the next few weeks, many psychological triggers will be met and faced down and a person's quit will begin to get a lot easier. This support group is here to help a new quitter through the first two weeks and provide the education to help maintain a quit forever.

You will be taught that the choice to smoke is always there. Nicotine is legal, it's easy to get and you can always go back to smoking or dipping or whatever your delivery system of choice is.

There are some guidelines here for the teaching principles that have been proven to work and some volunteer managers to make sure those principles are followed, but mostly this is a group of experienced quitters who volunteer their time. They donate their time to help people like me get off cigarettes. And I thank them.

This is what Freedom means to me. This is one member's opinion. There's nothing going on here except people helping people. Come join us when you're ready, but in the meantime we still respectfully empathize with you.

Dave (an addict just like you)

I have chosen not to smoke for 2 Months 3 Weeks 2 Days 11 Hours 28 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 2956. Money saved: $406.46.

John (Gold)

11 Jul 2002, 21:25 #2

Nicotine is capable of permanently enslaving the brain dopamine production circuits of between 70% to 90% of all humans on planet earth. By comparison, studies have shown that powdered cocaine is capable of enslaving the dopamine circuitry of just 15%. Each of us may have known smoking's general health risks prior to our first cigarette but I seriously doubt that any of us realized the captivating power of nicotine! We were taught that smoking was just a "nasty little habit" and from what we each knew of habits, it was a pretty reassuring thought at the time but a lie none the less! Knowledge is power! NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

improud (golder)

11 Jul 2002, 22:15 #3

Great Post Dave Image we were all once in denial that we were NOT addicts Once you LET yourself believe that you are an ADDICT you will let yourself open up to education and realization that you can control this addiction as long as you NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF or any other means of nicotine Image THIS IS DOABLE Image after 40+ years I am now 1 1/2 years FREE Image Cathy ~ GOLD CLUB

Parker GOLD

11 Jul 2002, 23:30 #4

Great idea for a post, Dave!

Yes, People, this is very doable. Thinking about quitting was harder, more stressful, scarier, more anxiety-producing for me than actually quitting. I promised myself so many times that I would quit over the 32 years I smoked. I'd set the quit dates and then smoke right through them. Then because I'd blown it once again, I'd decide to wait another couple of weeks to set another quit date. Clearly, the thinking process of an addicted brain.

Actually did quit a couple of times. But, I always "cheated." I'd take my husband's butts out of the ashtrays, straighten 'em out as best I could and light 'em up. Isn't that completely disgusting? What is remarkable is that I didn't see that as the actions of a drug addict.

Found this site while doing some research for my boss on web forums. Started to read some posts and articles and suddenly there I was staring myself in the face. And it wasn't a pretty picture. Claiming my addiction was what enabled me to finally smoke my last cigarette. My bad habit wasn't just a bad habit. It was a full blown addiction that led me to do things I was ashamed of. Image

I have been nicotine free now for 1 month and 6 days. I'm not ashamed of myself anymore. This has not been easy, but it has not been as hard as I feared. The difference between this final quit and the other times I tried is that I educated myself here at Freedom and found the best support group on the planet! I honestly do not think I would have maintained this quit without the Freedom site. Because without it, what I'd be listening to is my nicotine-addicted brain. Well, listening to that is what kept me smoking for 32 years.

Do I still think about smoking? Yep. Do I at various points during the day crave a hit of nicotine? Yep. Do I feel better than I have in years? Yep. has the quality of my life improved since I quit? You better believe it!

Best wishes to all,
Parker

Rickgoldx5

12 Jul 2002, 01:20 #5

Dave Thanks for this post!!
I can sure identify with the lurking thing and of course the denial thing.
I would like to say to the "lurkers" out there that YOU know who you are and you reallly need to stop reading and DO SOMETHING!
We need you here at freedom as much as you need us although you don't know it yet! I spent a year lurking here and reading afraid of even trying to quit for fear of not
being able to cause I smoked too long. "Junkie thinking." So I sat here and read for a year wishing I could try without being embarrassed if it didn't work!
But one day after caughing my head off after I got up, I got mad ran down to my computer an sat there and promised my self I'll sit here and read for the whole 72 hours if thats what it takes. Well turns out it was way easier that I was thinking!
I had almost scared myself out of the healthest decision I ever made!
The rest as they say is history, today I 'm Free of that cough and of the shame I felt
when I thought I would never be able to quit.
So don't keep yourself away from joining the best stop smoking sites around!
We are waiting, Please make that decision today and you'll never have to take another puff again.
Rick
I have chosen not to smoke for 2 Months 1 Week 7 Hours 5 Minutes 13 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 4302. Money saved: $643.24.

John (Gold)

21 Apr 2003, 21:44 #6

If you're still lurking ...

When Dave wrote this post reaching out to folks like you, he wasn't yet three months nicotine free. It might interest you to note that he just celebrated his first full year without nicotine making any decisions in his life. None!
This next few minutes are 100% doable!
It's time to come home!

John (Gold)

30 Jun 2003, 10:54 #7

If things get challenging ...
A subconscious crave episode won't last longer than 3 minutes
but be sure and look at a clock as time distortion is very real
during recovery and those minutes can seem like hours!
The next few minutes will always be doable!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 10 Apr 2009, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.

kensensei gold

30 Jun 2003, 21:06 #8

Good post. Parker said:

Thinking about quitting was harder, more stressful, scarier, more anxiety-producing for me than actually quitting.

I would add to this that smoking was harder, more stressful, scarier, more anxiety-producing etc etc than not smoking. This is a truth that I continually fall back on. There are times when I, briefly, I feel like I want a cigarette (in my heart I know I dont really want it anymore anyway--its just an illusion). However the intensity of the feeling of wanting a cigarette is only a tiny tiny fraction of the intensity of feeling of NOT wanting to have a cigarette when I was a smoker. The intensity with which I wanted to quit. The intensity of my shame for doing something so self-destructive, of hiding it from my family, of smelling how I did, of doing ridiculous things to secure a fix.

To put this another way, if you feel anything like I did as a smoker-- and if you have come here you probably do--know that you have everything to gain by quitting, cold-turkey, one day at a time, for theree days and then joining Freedom and using the support and education here to help you remain quit, one day at a time for as long as you want to. You also have nothing to lose-- except your slavery and excess risk of death. Life is better without smoking.

Ken

CookiesGold

30 Jun 2003, 21:20 #9

"At the hardest moment I never doubted the whole thing was going to be a positive experience".
Great post Dave
CookieImageI have been quit for 8 Months, 2 Weeks, 3 Days, 9 hours, 49 minutes and 29 seconds (260 days). I have saved $1,822.86 by not smoking 10,416 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Month, 5 Days and 4 hours of my life.
Last edited by CookiesGold on 10 Apr 2009, 11:55, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

25 Aug 2003, 20:17 #10

Coping With Recovery Anxieties

The next few minutes are all that matter
and there's only one rule - no nicotine!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 12 Apr 2009, 04:59, edited 1 time in total.