Attention Lurkers

John (Gold)

19 Dec 2003, 09:57 #11

My Quit Date Wednesday, April 17, 2002
Nickname Hillbilly(Gold)
My one tip for beginners Quitting is simple--just don't put one in your mouth. I didn't say easy, I said simple (as in uncomplicated). Don't make it harder than it really is.
Last edited by John (Gold) on 10 Apr 2009, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

09 Mar 2004, 03:26 #12

We sure are glad ya found us!
Can you handle a less than 3 minute crave episode? You bet you can!
But be sure and keep a clock handy as recovery time distortion is very real.
If you've arrested your dependency upon nicotine for even 1 hour celebrate!
In many ways the first hour and getting rolling is the biggest step of all.
Whether 1 hour or 100 the glory and well earned rest is 100% yours!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 10 Apr 2009, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.

DlunyGOLD

09 Mar 2004, 04:14 #13

Thanks John for bringing this one back up to the top.

When I first found this site I did not honestly did not know if I could make it past the first 72 hours! I had seen others do it but I felt uncomfortable at first. As the first day wore on it got easier, I started drinking cranberry juice and I made it! What was probably the strangest thing was leaving the office that night and NOT lighting up as soon as we were out the door! It has only gotten easier as time has gone on!

I have read and posted here frequently (maybe more posting than I should have, forgive me if this is the case) and having this resource has made all of the difference in the word in this quit. I am now further into a cold-turkey quit than I have lasted before and today have no desire for a cigarette or nicotine of any type! I had quit many times before including with the patch and this has been the easiest for me yet (and also the most fun since I have met so any wonderful people right here).

If you are lurking then take the plunge! Smoking is always an option (but not if you want to be able to post messages here). If you find that you don't like the non-smoking you then by all means do what you want to do, just remember that you just can't have one!

yqb, David - Free and Healing for Four Months, 6 Hours and 14 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 7 Days and 15 Hours, by avoiding the use of 2201 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $165.88.

John (Gold)

09 Mar 2004, 04:55 #14

You're oh so right, Dave! I doubt many of us believed we could go Image the entire day when first starting out but look what happened to each of us when those first few baby steps were allowed to build. Even the last few minutes are worthy of a big big smile and at least one deep breath!

Getting new quitters to abandon the concept of measuring success in terms of quitting FOREVER - a mighty big bite to chew upon and a terrible time for a celebration (when you're dead) - and instead getting them to see each challenge overcome, and each hour of freedom and each day of healing as the full and complete victory that each reflects, now that's challenging! You're not quitting you but quitting nicotine while recovering you! This can be one of the most wonderful adventures in our lives if we'll only allow the next few minutes a chance to breathe!

We're with you in spirit!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 10 Apr 2009, 11:59, edited 2 times in total.

Buttercup9339

10 Mar 2004, 07:31 #15

For the lurkers and newbies, read some of Hillbilly's prior posts. He has some very inspirational posts. While you're at it, read posts from David (dlunybronze). David posted a lot at the beginning of his quit. We quit close to the same time. His posts and replies really helped me in my quit.

It was interesting to me to see a post from Hillbilly at the top of the list. He doesn't post much anymore but he has some great advice.

Angie
3 months 3 weeks +

kattatonic1 gold4

10 Mar 2004, 09:45 #16

Parker said:

Thinking about quitting was harder, more stressful, scarier, more anxiety-producing for me than actually quitting.

Ken said:

I would add to this that smoking was harder, more stressful, scarier, more anxiety-producing etc etc than not smoking.

And I 100% agree. I almost killed myself smoking. I almost gave myself a nervous breakdown being afraid of quitting and "psyching" myself up to a quit date. I wish I had just quit the moment it crossed my mind. I have found Freedom and my own strength by quitting. As everyone says, it is not always easy, but:
  • It is simple: Never Take Another Puff
  • It is doable. Look around at all the quitters here who thought they could never do it!
  • A life of Freedom gets better and better One Day At A Time!
Welcome Lurkers!

~ Kay ~
Celebrating 2 Months, 16 Days, 15 Hours and 10 Minutes of Freedom.
Forsaking 1553 doses of poison has liberated $498.44 and 5 Days and 9 Hours of my life.

John (Gold)

30 Jun 2004, 08:12 #17

One day at a time ...
Yes you can!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 10 Apr 2009, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

27 Sep 2004, 20:53 #18

This next few minutes are entirely doable!
Let healing flow!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 10 Apr 2009, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.

Sal GOLD.ffn

31 Jan 2006, 04:11 #19

Last edited by Sal GOLD.ffn on 10 Apr 2009, 12:02, edited 1 time in total.

Chipits GOLD.ffn

29 Dec 2006, 00:57 #20

For all of our new members, as well as for all of our potential new members who may still be lurking around.
We basically believe in the old Kentucky Fried Chicken motto of, "We do one thing and we do it well." Their claim is they do chicken well--our claim is we do cold turkey well.
Cold turkey made quitting smoking as quick and easy as was possible. Keeping it easy now requires nothing more complicated than knowing to never take another puff!
Joel