Are You An Intelligent Smoker?

Are You An Intelligent Smoker?

Joel

19 Dec 2001, 17:59 #1

Below is a piece I wrote years ago to promote my clinics to potential clients. The same principles talked about here applies to Freedom participation also. Since the topics of acupuncture, hypnosis, and various other methods are brought up periodically, I thought I would show you how I addressed the issues for many years now. I actually used to have people call me all the time and ask my opinion of these methods, and my advice was always if they were considering coming to me or use another method, use the other method first. If they came to me first, had a tough moment, they would often throw in the towel and figure they would just do the easy thing next. Then the easy thing would usually not work, and they would think why bother coming back to me, they tried it and it didn't last. But the reason it didn't last is that they were holding on to the idea of a fall back easy method. Its time that everyone lets go of that fantasy. There is only one way to guarantee long term success, and that is to never take another puff!
Anyway, here is the promotional piece I was referring to.

Joel

ARE YOU AN INTELLIGENT SMOKER?

Being an intelligent smoker means that you recognize smoking to be dangerous to your health, threatening your social status and costing you a lot more money than it is worth. Since you are intelligent, you probably want to quit smoking but just can't seem to. We can help you break free from cigarettes.

There are no shots, record keeping, hypnosis, needles, or any other quick fix gimmicks. Our method is clear and simple. Participants quit smoking completely at the first session and are supported through the worst period of physiological and psychological withdrawal. Long-term reinforcement then provides additional support to maintain abstinence.

Why choose our Stop Smoking Clinic over other programs? We don't claim to be the cheapest, quickest, easiest, biggest, or most convenient. We don't guarantee that you won't experience withdrawal, and if you fail to quit, we won't give you a penny back. Other programs may promise any or all of these miraculous benefits. We offer none of them. So why choose our clinic?

Only one reason we can think of -- because it works. We are a "no nonsense program" with a success rate consistently far above the national average. We recognize that smoking is not only an ingrained habit but, more importantly, a true form of drug addiction and we treat it as such. For addiction, there is no magic cure, no easy way out. But the nicotine addiction, like any other drug dependency, is treatable. We offer comprehensive and sound support to beat that addiction. But don't let us give you the wrong impression. We won't quit for you. You will have to do the hard part. We will simply show you how to stop, how to stay off and then to see that there is life after smoking.

We are not the program for everyone. If you think you can quit anytime you want, don't call us. If you are offended that we put you in the same category as alcoholics, heroin junkies, or cocaine addicts, don't call us. If you want an easy, painless method that requires no effort or responsibility on your part, don't call us. But if you are sick and tired of smoking and you really want to quit-- sign up.

Nora (Gold)

20 Dec 2001, 06:41 #2

Hi Joel
We probably all think of ourselves as being intelligent but when it comes to our nicotine addiction we do not always act like it. I had tried the patches and hypnosis different times. As far as I am concerned, an educated COLD TURKEY quit with on-line support is the easiest way to quit smoking in the long run.
Nora
16 months +

SonKist501(GREEN x2)

20 Dec 2001, 07:49 #3

Hi Joel,
loved your promotion. It tells it like it is.

I smoked 38 years and believe me I have tried about everything at one time or another. Tried smoking herbal cigs.that were supposedly nicotine free. They left me just wanting a real cigarette with my drug in it. LOL Did hypnosis, patches, gum, the whole bit.

The only way is Cold Turkey and Education and support, which I found at Freedom. I will be forever grateful to you all. Betty

Glenys Goldx3

20 Dec 2001, 08:06 #4

An intelligent smoker? I used to think so..........but it's funny, I got a whole lot smarter when I quit. Image
(A bit like my parents, the older I get, the smarter they get.......)

DubiouslyDos

04 Sep 2002, 00:12 #5

Brains tend to "take a leave of absence" when addictions are involved.....the most intelligent point about smoking - is never becoming a user.....sadly....all here got smart eventually....we are all quit, and we are all educated...Thanks to Freedom.

Dos (Dubious)
Becoming in Bronze
14 Weeks 1 Hour 15 Minutes
2941 nicotine sticks I didn't smoke

Parker GOLD

04 Sep 2002, 01:04 #6

Joel, what a great promotion! Blunt. Hard-hitting. Completely honest. These are the qualities for which I honor you and the Freedom managers. I don't need nonsense and coddling. That will not keep me clean.

Was I an intelligent smoker? Heck, no! What could be more stupid? But I was a crafty nicotine addict. Always able to come up with one more rationalization, one more delaying tactic, one more really, really good reason that I simply could not quit today.

One of your articles -- don't remember which one now -- asked a question along the lines of ... aren't you tired of lying to yourself about when you are going to quit? That is the one that finally hit home for me. I quit the next day because I was tired, dreadfully tired of that deadly game. So, belated thanks for saying the exact thing I needed to hear.

Respectfully,
Parker - closing in on bronze!

Joel

20 May 2003, 16:12 #7

Last night I graduated my current clinic, people who had all quit smoking two weeks ago. Normally as soon as I graduate a group I am preparing for my next group, which usually starts in two months. Promotion of clinics actually takes as much time as running the programs, just usually not as intense of an effort. Dealing with a whole group of people all in withdrawal at the same time is a bit more challenging than the promotion is.

I usually take don't hold clinics in the summer though so I don't have to start promoting for my next group now. I like this piece and feel that it is every bit as applicable to describing Freedom as it is to describing my clinics. I am sometime hesitant to bring it up too often for I don't want it to appear that I am trying to promote the clinic here at Freedom. Since I don't have a clinic to promote I don't feel this particular reservation now.

The reason I don't like to promote the clinic is that I truly feel that people who are quitting through the work we are doing at Freedom have every bit the chance of success as people who go through my programs. In fact, I think people who really go through the library and read at the board daily may even have a better understanding of the whole smoking issue. I know that there are lots of people who have gone through my entire library, often numerous times as well as reading all of the other inspirational and educational posts at the board. Clinic graduates often spend the two weeks in the clinic pretty immersed in the quitting process and then pretty much sever contact with me and the clinic. It is fine for they often go on to do very well although I often wish that they take a little extra effort to keep reinforcing their resolve by reading or calling every now and then. Most don't and unless I contact them or run into them they spend very little time focusing on their quits. I sometimes encounter these people smoking again and can't help but to feel if they had worked at keeping the ammunition reinforced they could have succeeded permanently.

We have lots of people here at Freedom who stay in contact. Some by posting regularly which is great, but even more who drop by occasionally to say hello but often write that they are still here reading on a regular basis to keep their quits strong. I am truly happy to know that these longer-term quitter are still here reading and working at keeping their resolves reinforced to stay smoke free.

I hope our longer-term quitters feel free and comfortable to drop by anytime and say hello and offer a little encouragement to our newer members. Even more important though, I hope that our longer-term quitters continue to drop by regularly and read to keep their own quits reinforced. For while the title of this piece was "Are you an intelligent smoker," I think it is easier to prove to the others and to prove to yourself that you are really an intelligent ex-smoker. Show yourself and the world that you are smart enough now to know that the way to stay smoke free is by still recognizing the importance of staying focused on the importance of having quit and that your continued success is contingent on simply understanding that to stay free of the control that nicotine once exerted on you is just knowing now to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

09 Nov 2003, 21:17 #8

I like this piece and feel that it is every bit as applicable to describing Freedom as it is to describing my clinics. I am sometime hesitant to bring it up too often for I don't want it to appear that I am trying to promote the clinic here at Freedom. As you may have noticed, I havn't brought this one up for almost half a year. I don't have a full clinic starting until February now so I don't feel this particular reservation at the moment.

The reason I don't like to promote the clinic is that I truly feel that people who are quitting through the work we are doing at Freedom have every bit the chance of success as people who go through my programs. In fact, I think people who really go through the library and read at the board daily may even have a better understanding of the whole smoking issue. I know that there are lots of people who have gone through my entire library, often numerous times as well as reading all of the other inspirational and educational posts at the board. Clinic graduates often spend the two weeks in the clinic pretty immersed in the quitting process and then pretty much sever contact with me and the clinic. It is fine for they often go on to do very well although I often wish that they take a little extra effort to keep reinforcing their resolve by reading or calling every now and then. Most don't and unless I contact them or run into them they spend very little time focusing on their quits. I sometimes encounter these people smoking again and can't help but to feel if they had worked at keeping the ammunition reinforced they could have succeeded permanently.

We have lots of people here at Freedom who stay in contact. Some by posting regularly which is great, but even more who drop by occasionally to say hello but often write that they are still here reading on a regular basis to keep their quits strong. I am truly happy to know that these longer-term quitter are still here reading and working at keeping their resolves reinforced to stay smoke free.

I hope our longer-term quitters feel free and comfortable to drop by anytime and say hello and offer a little encouragement to our newer members. Even more important though, I hope that our longer-term quitters continue to drop by regularly and read to keep their own quits reinforced. For while the title of this piece was "Are you an intelligent smoker," I think it is easier to prove to the others and to prove to yourself that you are really an intelligent ex-smoker. Show yourself and the world that you are smart enough now to know that the way to stay smoke free is by still recognizing the importance of staying focused on the importance of having quit and that your continued success is contingent on simply understanding that to stay free of the control that nicotine once exerted on you is just knowing now to never take another puff!

Joel

GoldenDivamom1972

24 Jan 2005, 02:08 #9

Thanks for telling it exactly as it is. Actually, I'm much smarter as a recovering smoker than I ever was as an active addict.Image
Amy
Free and Healing for Twenty Days, 6 Hours and 5 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 2 Days and 2 Hours, by avoiding the use of 608 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $152.03.
Last edited by GoldenDivamom1972 on 17 Feb 2009, 03:32, edited 1 time in total.

FreedomNicotine

07 Nov 2009, 13:40 #10

For while the title of this piece was "Are you an intelligent smoker," I think it is easier to prove to the others and to prove to yourself that you are really an intelligent ex-smoker. Show yourself and the world that you are smart enough now to know that the way to stay smoke free is by still recognizing the importance of staying focused on the importance of having quit and that your continued success is contingent on simply understanding that to stay free of the control that nicotine once exerted on you is just knowing now to never take another puff! Joel