Are there "social smokers?"

16 Aug 2010, 18:30 #26

Along this thread - I have also known some cigar smoking friends of mine who will smoke a cigar occasionally while playing golf.  The thing is - they never smoked cigarettes and never became addicted.  Truly a social smoker. The risk comes in thinking that an addict, such as I, can change delivery methods of nicotine in order to achieve non-addicted smoking status.  This will never work for me - I know because I've tried!  I make a rule like - "I'll only smoke cigars, and only on special occasions".  Then it becomes - "I'll only smoke cigars when I get home from work" - then "I'll only smoke at night - 2 Maximum".  I eventually found myself needing to smoke a cigarette becuase it was less abrasive on my throat than the cigars I was smoking!!!

Imagining a world where a nicotine addict can be a social smoker is a deception that we must never succomb to.

I think I need to box up my cigars and send them to my social smoking friend - at least then I know I'm not feeding someone's addiction!

Jason Prior - Free and Healing for Seven Days, 13 Hours and 29 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 12 Hours, by avoiding the use of 151 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $41.60.

29 Oct 2011, 18:34 #27

17 Nov 2011, 19:55 #28

I guess there will always be a handful of people in the world who can use an addictive substance whenever and however they choose. I almost wish there weren't.

We addicts tend to hold those rarities up as a shining example of the kind of smoker we could be too. Of course, if I could have controlled how and when I smoked, I sure as heck would have been doing it all along.

It's nice to learn the secret truly being in control of smoking. (Hint: It's what Joel said, NTAP)

17 days, 15 hours and 34 minutes into being a social ex-smoker

30 Aug 2013, 00:31 #29

I just watched Joel (one of my heros) in two videos ( went looking for the social smokers one) - "Are there social smokers?" video and (right up next to it) "I don't need to smoke" great for me to see right now, 2 months and 6 days on my road to freedom. I smoked for 18 years, quit for 20 years and smoked again for 13 years. When I quit the first time I was basically chain smoking, 3+ packs a day, non filtered cigarettes. When I started again, thinking I could be a social smoker, I smoked a filter cigarette,  I got up to 1 - 1 1/2 pack a day, "controlling"  my smoking never reaching even 2 packs. This was a challenge for me and I considered it a success but also a failure in the "social smoker" department.

Right now I feel calm, I am "armed and dangerous" as they say, the knowledge I have found here, and the support of those who are totally free (as I once was, though unaware that I was an addict waiting to begin again) has been invaluable in my last and final quit. Over the last 13 years I have attempted to quit many times, never getting to far.

I am committed to NTAP.
A happy ex-smoker, working at it and making progress.