Are crave episodes "really" only 3 minutes?

Subconscious use cue extinguishment
OBob Gold

06 Jan 2005, 08:47 #11

It's often helpful to pause and really look at what you're feeling, and for how long. It's possible to turn 30 seconds to 3 minutes of real craving into 3 hours of anxiety.

Related reading:
Last edited by OBob Gold on 29 Mar 2009, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

05 Feb 2005, 08:46 #12

Can you handle a up to 18 minutes (3 x 6) of crave episodes?
Absolutely!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 20 Mar 2009, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

13 Jan 2006, 13:14 #13

If we can learn to relax as much as possible, this is one cessation symptom that we can actually turn to our benefit. Imagine the amout of work or living we could engage in if the days were only longer Image

JoeJFree Gold

24 Sep 2008, 04:29 #14

Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 29 Mar 2009, 14:32, edited 1 time in total.

nelby

29 May 2011, 03:40 #16

Hi my name's Michelle. I haven't formally introduced myself yet (will do that in the appropriate place tomorrow). I'm on day 6 of my quit.

For days one, two and most of day three when I had a crave I'd look at the clock to time the three minutes. As soon as I looked at the clock, the craving would go. It would last about 5 seconds.

On the evening of day three, I had a craving episode that lasted two hours. Looking at the clock didn't help, drinking water didn't help-it felt like nothing was working. I came on here and did some reading and listening and it started to die out.

It felt like a craving but I (mostly) didn't want to smoke. I never felt like I'd go out and buy some cigarettes. However, the physical/psychological sensations were very unpleasant.

I had an episode like this on the morning of day four and I'm having one right now (it's dying down now, actually). It feels like the blood has rushed to and is rushing around my brain. I feel kind of light-headed and tingly. It feels almost like the physical symptoms of anxiety.

I am wondering why my recovery is getting worse. Maybe it's not getting worse; the first two days I was obsessing far more about cigarettes, but the craves were far more manageable. Now, they are less frequent, but really powerful. I don't really know which is worse. I kind of dread these happening as the physical feeling is so weird. I know it won't harm me, but I still don't like them.

Are these even craving episodes? Could they be linked to my brain receiving more oxygen? I know people aren't allowed to post medical advice on here, but I'd just like to know if anyone else is going through/has gone through this.

Thanks, Michelle

nelby

30 May 2011, 12:27 #18

Those articles were helpful; thanks a lot. The 'Recognising Needs' one in particular resonated.

I actually think it might be something else though: slight caffeine overdose. I have always been very sensitive to caffeine (it produces anxiety in me) so I drink green tea or normal tea throughout the day. However, as I've read on here now that I've quit smoking perhaps my body can't handle the amount I was drinking. I say 'was' because I had two cups today (as opposed to about five) and did not have the craving episode...if that's, in fact, what it was.

Does the lowered tolerance to caffeine only last during the first 72 hours or is that a new permanent thing? Just curious.

Anyway, perhaps I sounded a bit spoiled in that message. I was very on edge and fed up with the craving sensations.

Thanks for your help.

Michelle :)

FreedomStaff

18 Jun 2013, 15:25 #19

[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]To answer the question: "Does the lowered tolerance to caffeine only last during the first 72 hours or is that a new permanent thing? Just curious."[/font][font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]
[/font] [font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]
[/font]