Another slant on how to watch people smoke

johnny L irish

23 Feb 2004, 00:26 #11

I love the "I'm only going down for one. Be right back." Of course, this happens again one hour later and so forth, hour after hour, day after day, week after week and year after year. I've heard someone say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results. If you do this thing -- this smoke thing, why wouldn't you suffer the consequences? How, if you are in your right mind, can you expect otherwise? Obviouisly, those who "go down for one" aren't really in their right minds. Must be short-term memory loss.

Johnny

1W 1D 10h 19m 35s free, or, 8 days as the flies
Last edited by johnny L irish on 10 Apr 2009, 10:51, edited 1 time in total.

Mocha

29 Jul 2004, 23:06 #12

Something I observed.... I used to go outside during my breaks and chat with the rest of the smokers. Recently, I started going outside again because I missed the atmosphere. The majority of smokers (actually, all but one) suddenly were disconnected. They didn't ask how I was doing it, congratulating me... conversation just abruptly ended after I announced the reason why they hadn't seen me was because I quit. Things are a bit uncomfortable now when I go out. Maybe they're envious of me, maybe they feel like I'm going to preach to them, I'm not sure. But I still go out because I miss the heat and the things that were associated with my cigarette break. * Note: I do not miss the smoking. It actually feels very nice to be able to go outside and not "need" a cigarette. It still smells pretty good though Image. But it wouldn't deliver the "aaahhhh" feeling; that I know and besides, NTAP!!

Good read. It's not always greener on the other side

Image Nastassja

gold osomashi

24 Sep 2004, 03:51 #13

This is a very helpful post. I love learning ways to re-program my junkie thoughts.

Nastassja,

Thanks for sharing that about your colleagues. I get nervous when go into situations with buddies who still smoke. Not because of the smoking triggers (like some great people have said here---we have to embrace them and knock'em down) , but because maybe they may think I'm a different person.

I've started to feel the same way you do with a close friend of mine who still smokes. I think she may even be avoiding me since I quit. What I'm trying to do is just take it step by step and show her I don't judge her.

Best,
Mari

Joel

14 Nov 2004, 21:51 #14

I saw where one member wrote that she was not handling emotional aspects of her life with much grace since she quit smoking. I thought she would appreciate this one. While smoking may have at one point in time been viewed as graceful and debonair, that time has passed in most circles of society. Not only do people appear to others to be more anxious and out of control while smoking, they often feel it internally. Posts that address this side of smoking are I have to smoke because of all my stress and How would you deal with the following situations?
To handle life with what is likely to be viewed as a greater degree dignity, strength, self-control, intelligence and not to mention, just smelling a whole lot better, as well as to look and feel healthier and to likely live longer, just always remember why you first quit and are still committed to never take another puff!
Joel
Last edited by Joel on 12 Apr 2009, 04:24, edited 1 time in total.

Newfoundme1

22 Jan 2005, 03:05 #15

I observed something today that made me really appreciate that I quit. I was at a store and was observing two people sucking down cigs. They looked really stupid and like addicts. It was as if they didn't smoke the whole thing before going into to store they would die. I remember so many times doing the same thing. I thought that when I quit I would never be able to drive a car again. But it has been 21 days and I am driving ok. Sometimes feels like something is missing and a little air headed but I know I can do it and I will be better for doing it. I just keep reminding myself of why I quit and how disgusting I looked and how sick I felt when smoking. They say as time goes on you forget the bad things about your addiction so you must journal and reread all the pain you go through and remember it is lies your mind is telling you about the good reasons you smoked. There is really no good reason. Tracy

Joel

10 Feb 2005, 20:29 #16

I used to be like that.

The above link highlights the valuable reinforcement you can get by really watching and analyzing others who still smoke.
Last edited by Joel on 12 Apr 2009, 04:31, edited 1 time in total.

JoeJFree Gold

24 Feb 2006, 23:03 #17

Another way to look at Ourselves & Others -

Did I smoke cigarettes for more than 80% of my living breathing days so far? - Yes.
Will I always be a 'Smoker' - No
(there are no 'smokers' per se, only nicotine addicts using tobacco cigarettes as their preferred option to deliver their drug).

Could I smoke cigarettes again - Yes
Do I want to - NO!

Will I always be a nicotine Addict? - Yes

....and it is that fact, the root cause factor - unchangeable & undeniable - that I must always be aware of.

Any of us will stay free and in control of me as long as we continue to decide to NTAP!

BonitaJean0

12 Apr 2006, 01:23 #18

I went to a conference last week and I was worried because I was not on my turf an all my friends who reside in that area smoke. After all the worrying...I realized that what I observed was kindof funny.....in a way.

I decided to drive to and from the conference and when we would arrive at our destination they would just about open my car door to exit that they not only had their cig's and lighters in their hand but were quickly trying to light their cig. Also, we weren't far from the enterance and wow....you talk about quick long drags! It appeared to be a desperate measure to finish the cig in 60 seconds flat!

We go inside to find a seat and sit down and I realized that when I did smoke (before my quit) that I must have really stunk a horrible stink after I smoked....did I really think I could hide that smell with a breath mint?
Now; we have our first break during the conference and you notice that a crowd of people are going outside, in the rain and keep in mind it's cold and damp, to smoke a cig.

I realized that I am very happy to not have that Monkey hanging on my back anymore!

Thanks for reading,
Bonita
Been smoke free for 93 days, 14 hours, 18 minutes and 13 seconds. YEA!!!!!!!!!!!

JoeJFree Gold

29 Apr 2006, 07:34 #19

Ex-smokers should consider how while they were still smoking they used to envy people who quit cigarettes. No matter which situation you are in, a smoker observing an ex-smoker or visa versa, the other side has its appeal. The ex-smoker has the great advantage. The ex-smoker can go back to smoking any time she wishes. The smoker cannot always quit. The ex-smoker will go hours, days and eventually weeks without thinking of a cigarette.* The smoker is constantly reminded by family, friends and associates of their socially offensive 'habit'. - Joel

* My boss, who has a 22 year CT NTAP quit. told me today that he gets a crave (actually a trigger and fixation event) every couple years. When it happens he weighs One = All and all he has to lose by having that first puff and does not. Not a long discussion nor is it a tough decision according to Bob.

Comfort does come, wait and see. Happened for many, happened for me, and will happen for you if you only NTAP!

JoeJFree - Day 473

whosthisitsmesilly

29 Apr 2006, 07:41 #20

I am glad i have Quit and stayed Quit with the help of this site. Obviously people Quit for different reasons and are under different illusions if they ever could contemplate picking up a cigarette to smoke it.

Cathy
I have been quit for 1 Month, 3 Weeks, 42 minutes and 46 seconds (52 days). I have saved £215.92 by not smoking 1,040 cigarettes. I have saved 3 Days, 14 hours and 40 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 08/03/2006 00:00