Alcohol and quitting

Kristen Goldx3

13 Apr 2006, 05:45 #21

Smokers and Drinkers Get Head Start on Colorectal Cancer
By Neil Osterweil, MedPage Today Staff Writer
Reviewed by Robert Jasmer, MD; Assistant Professor of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco
March 28, 2006
Source News Article: CBS News, Forbes, MSNBC MedPage Today Action Points

Explain to applicable patients that this study suggests that men and women who drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes, or do both, seem to be at a higher risk than non-smokers/drinkers for early onset colorectal cancer.

Suggest to these patients a need for vigilance about screening for colorectal cancer.

Review
EVANSTON, Ill., March 28 - Men and women who smoke or drink, or either, have a likelihood of developing colorectal cancer five to eight years earlier than abstemious persons, reported researchers here.

Moreover, their review of records on more than 161,000 patients with colorectal cancer revealed that men as a gender tended to develop colorectal cancer about two years earlier than women, according to Hemant K. Roy, M.D., and colleagues at Northwestern.

The study, published in the March 27 Archives of Internal Medicine, indicated that patients who both smoked cigarettes and drink alcohol were likely to develop the disease about eight years earlier than non-smoking teetotalers. Smoking but not drinking had a greater effect on women than men.

"Our report provides compelling evidence that modifiable risk factors such as alcohol and tobacco use are associated with a younger age at diagnosis and a predilection for distal colorectal cancer," the authors wrote.

"These data underscore the need for cessation of alcohol and tobacco use as an integral part of a colorectal cancer prevention program," they continued. "If replicated in other data sets, our findings would argue that screening should be initiated at a younger age in alcohol and tobacco users."

To determine how risk factors such as lifestyle choice and gender could affect the incidence of colorectal cancer, the authors used data from a commercial cancer database (IMPAC Medical Registry Services Cancer Information Resource File).

They gathered data on people diagnosed with colorectal cancer diagnosed from June 1, 1993, to December 31, 2003, and classified them into current, past, or never-users of alcohol and tobacco.

They used logistic regression modeling for location of tumors (proximal or distal), and linear regression modeling for age at diagnosis and the variables that included gender, race insurance status.

Looking at data on a total of 161,172 patients with colorectal cancer, the authors found that current drinking and current smoking were each associated with 5.2 years younger age at onset, and the two combined were associated with a 7.8-year head start for disease onset (P<0.001 for all). Men also tended to develop cancer 1.9 years earlier than women (P<0.001).

Drinkers were about 20% more likely than non-drinkers to have distal cancers (odds ratio, 1.192, 95% confidence interval, 1.15-1.23), and smokers were about 16% more likely than non-smokers to have distal tumors (odds ratio, 1.164; 95% CI, 1.12-1.21). Men were also significantly more likely than women to have tumors in a distal location (odds ratio, 1.42, P<0.001).

The effects of smoking but not drinking on age of onset were greater among women than among men (adjusted age difference, 2.6 years; P<0.001).

"This is the first report, to our knowledge, to demonstrate that alcohol and tobacco use is associated with a younger age at colorectal cancer presentation," the investigators wrote. "The magnitude of effect suggests clinical applicability for the timing of screening initiation. Furthermore, alcohol and tobacco use along with male gender increased the probability of distal cancers, possibly having relevance to the choice of screening modality."

Primary source: Archives of Internal Medicine
Source reference:
Zisman AL et al.

"Associations Between the Age at Diagnosis and Location of Colorectal Cancer and the Use of Alcohol and Tobacco: Implications for Screening."

Blue1451

13 May 2006, 14:22 #22

I have been clean from nicotine for 47 days...and proud of it! I'm not really a big drinker anyway but once in awhile my husband and I would have a glass or two of wine with dinner! I must admit I'm a little nervous to do that! I know it will be a big trigger!
Thanks for the post! Maybe I just need more time under my belt!
Tracy

Sal GOLD.ffn

21 Jul 2007, 07:27 #23

Last edited by Sal GOLD.ffn on 10 Apr 2009, 05:14, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

25 Aug 2007, 23:19 #24

Combined Effects of Systemic Alcohol and Nicotine on Dopamine Release in the Nucleus Accumbens Shell
Alcohol Alcohol. 2007 Aug 8; [Epub ahead of print]

Tizabi Y, Bai L, Copeland RL Jr, Taylor RE.
Department of Pharmacology, College of Medicine, 520 W Street NW, Howard University, Washington, DC, 20059, USA.
Abstract

AIMS: This study was undertaken to determine whether simultaneous administration of both alcohol and nicotine systemically would result in an additive dopamine release in the nucleus accumbens (NACC). Moreover, to also investigate whether nicotinic receptors may be mediating these effects of alcohol and nicotine, the effects of mecamylamine, a nicotinic receptor antagonist was also evaluated.

METHODS: Microdialysis was applied to measure the dopamine overflow in the shell region of NACC. All drugs were administered intraperitoneally. The doses of alcohol ranged from 0.5-2.0 g/kg, and nicotine and mecamylamine 0.25-1.0 mg/kg.

RESULTS: An additive effect of combined alcohol and nicotine on dopamine release was obtained. This effect of alcohol and nicotine was dose-dependently blocked by mecamylamine pre-treatment.

CONCLUSIONS: These findings further support the hypothesis that an additive effect of alcohol and nicotine on the mesolimbic 'reward pathway' may contribute to the high incidence of smoking in alcoholics. Furthermore, nicotinic antagonists can block such effects of combined alcohol and nicotine.

http://alcalc.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/co ... t/agm057v1

Joel

20 May 2008, 04:32 #26

I saw a message from a member who thought because of the way she felt addicted to cigarettes and alcohol that she would never be able to live without either. Now she doesn't smoke and only drinks occasionally, I don't want any people in recovery from other addictions to get a false message from this comment.

Breaking free from the grip of one active addiction does not somehow create a state that other addictions are somehow cured. If a person truly has a physical addiction to alcohol as a smoker, he or she still has that same addiction as an ex-smoker.

From the original post here:

One special note I need to make here. When I say everything you do as a smoker, you can do as an ex-smoker, the reverse is also true for some activities. If you were a recovering addict to alcohol or any other substance before, you couldn't use that substance as a smoker and you can't as an ex-smoker either without a full blown relapse.

FreedomNicotine

23 Oct 2009, 22:07 #27

Be prepared - alcohol and your quit:
Alcohol and Your Quit
Freedom teaches that we don't need to give up any part of our life when quitting except for our nicotine. The weekend has arrived again and with it the opportunity to have a few drinks and be with friends. How do you approach this most important encounter with alcohol, smokers and good times? What planning, if any, can you do? When is it safe to do so?
The odds of a brand new quit surviving the pub or bar scene while consuming large quantities of alcohol are not promising! Walking into an environment loaded with ashtrays, lighters and packs everywhere in a smoke and smoker filled room, while consuming a mind and sense altering substance during a temporary period of time that you were giving it your all not to smoke nicotine can be a tragic mistake, even fatal. Although alcohol has been found to play a role in half of all fatal vehicle collisions, its death toll in relation to the destruction of quits is even greater.

Many of you have already successfully navigated this situation while others have not. If you have, please share the important lessons you learned. Your words of wisdom might save both a quit and a life.

My advice is simple! Think it though, plan ahead, keep your guard up, and always remember that you can walk away. An early encounter with alcohol can involve multiple triggers. Keep in mind that it's possible to address them one at a time. Alcohol itself could be a habit trigger, being around other smokers another, having a good or bad time while drinking a third or possibly even a fourth, and having too much to drink a possible fifth. Then again, your anxiety attack triggering cue could be something as simple as ice cubes hitting a glass in a dark smoke filled environment. We've each developed some pretty unique feeding habits.

You can drink at home first without the other stuff, or going out for a good time in a smoke and smoker filled location without drinking. The planning possibilities are numerous. It may be possible to handle it all at once and put it behind you but baby steps may be a better approach for you. You know you better than anyone else! Listen to yourself and above all keep in mind that loving "delay" - just three minutes - is one of your best friends right now. This too is doable!
Breathe deep, hug hard, live long! YQB John : )

Judy Anderson

22 Dec 2013, 22:16 #28

I think this is an excellent reminder Joel! NTAP, and I will always remember why ... 1=ALL.

If I ever had one puff I would never have enough. 

Judy,
a very happy ex-smoker

Mardan59

23 Dec 2013, 16:36 #29

I have two friends that quit smoking for almost one year.  Several months ago, I found out both had started smoking again.  I asked why, what happened?  He told me.."yea, we were at a New Year's party, we had done so good, we figured we deserved just one".   They both are back smoking full time.  So sad. : (

Mary
On January 20th, It will be one year!
NTAP  1=All

Joel Spitzer

23 Dec 2013, 18:12 #30

"[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF]"...yea, we were at a New Year's party, we had done so good, we figured we deserved just one"."[/font]

Check out the video  "I don't want to quit smoking", paying special attention to the section starting at the twelve and half minute mark.