After 35 years, I quit January 1

Dennis23510
Dennis23510

January 16th, 2009, 3:49 am #1

and I feel pretty good about it. The first few days were a little sketchy, but not as bad as I had imagined. Do I miss smoking? Yes , I do, but not so much crave it as miss it. ( Maybe that is a crave).

This board has made it possible , even though this is my first post, I have been reading here for weeks.

I am amazed that my smokers hack is completely gone already. Others have commented on that. Nice.

---
2w 5:43 smoke-free, 503 cigs not smoked, $108.15 saved, 1d 17:55 life saved

Doc2474
Doc2474

January 16th, 2009, 4:00 am #2

Hi Dennis
Great decision and well done on two weeks.
What an achievement after 35 years.
I also found it was not as bad as I had imagined it would be.
It does get easier and better I promise you. I was at two weeks what seems like only a moment ago.

Regards

Doc

The Doc - Free and Healing for Three Months, One Day, 6 Hours and 59 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 6 Days and 11 Hours, by avoiding the use of 1866 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me £561.90.

Horsehead 11
Horsehead 11

January 16th, 2009, 4:34 am #3

Congrats Dennis. I too smoked many years before giving it an honest shot. So far so good. Welcome to the group.
Peace
Jeff

Doc460704
Doc460704

January 16th, 2009, 5:19 am #4

Dennis,

Now that you're through the first two weeks most all of the chemicals are out of your system and if you're like most of us your physical "craves" are gone. What you may be experiencing are smoking "triggers" and a psychological yearning (our junkie minds). There are simple ways to overcome both.

With all those years devoted to smoking you, like me, associated almost every daily activity with a cigarette. Your brain was trained to look out for you and make sure your blood nicotine levels wouldn't fall too low if it could help it.

- I'm going to be in a long meeting - better smoke now.
- Can't smoke in a store - have a cigarette on the way in.
- Get off a plane - find a place to smoke before getting the luggage.

For example, after working in the garden last spring I was walking back to the house and I noticed that I was absent mindedly tapping my shirt breast pocket. I had to laugh, I was checking for my cigarettes. Once you recognize the triggers for what they are just the fact that you did helps to reprogram your brain. I used to just smile, take a deep breath and say to myself "I don't need to do that anymore". But boy, after 40+ years I had a LOT of triggers to overcome.

Our junkie minds are trying desperately to have us remember the mythical "one good cigarette" and to forget the thousands we mindlessly smoked to keep our nicotine levels up. We know, through the education we received here, it is an addiction and we can't have just one. One = All. All I had to do was remember that fact and the single simple rule we all follow, Never Take Another Puff. The rest will take care of itself. It will get better and sooner that you can now even imagine. Remember NTAP RULES.

Read here, read more and read even more, then NTAP and I'll see you at green. It worked for me.

YQB,
Pat
(FREE NOW One year, two weeks, 14 hours, 9 minutes.
11417 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,283.54.
Life saved: 5 weeks, 4 days, 15 hours, 25 minutes, absolutely PRICELESS)

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

January 16th, 2009, 5:22 am #5

Hi Dennis and congratulations to you for taking the biggest step and getting yourself clean of nicotine & free. At Two weeks your body is pretty much clean of all nicotine and the residual chemicals, gases and other killer crud that rode along in the tobacco smoke we inhaled for far too long in order to service our addiction. The rest of the personal journey you have undertaken to return to the original issue you is essentially a period of recovery and adjustment. Not always easy but plainly simple. Don't worry, what you feel now is nothing like it feels like further along this road of recovery of our right minds.
One day at a time simply choose to Not take another puff for the rest of this day. The article titled Restoring volume control is a great resource to review and see what good changes lie ahead of you as you continue healing mentally, psychologically and physically from years of active addiciton.
Yeah, I can understand how you say what you feel now is missing smoking as addiction tends to create a false sense of normalcy. But is is a deadly price we pay to maintain that false feel good state we create with every mandatory dose delivered until we decide enough is enough. Took me a very long time to get free of nicotine too but I can assure you if you give yourself the time you need to heal you will feel better and more 'you' than you can ever remember. Neither side is perfect but if you stay true to you and make The Journey Home to the real you then you'll find Comfort too. You see this side of the bars is always free and gets better every day. There's no way to say that of staying trapped in our addiction.
When I initially read your note I thought of the character Red from the movie Shawshank Redemption when he was first released from prison after such a long time. He missed being imprisoned too but soon found a better life did exist outside of those familiar prison bars. As Andy told him so famously back in that prison yard - I guess it comes down to a simple choice really, you either get busy livin' or get busy dyin'.
I like our chances of living longer and a lot better by keeping the personal commitment to not take another puff - no matter what.

A fellow traveller on the Freedom Road, Joe J Free. I'm a life-long nicotine addict who stopped ingesting that killer chemical for 4 years, 5 days, 5 hours, 46 minutes and 41 seconds (1466 days) ago after 40 years of actively supporting this killer addiction. I had already tried smoking all of them and it darn near killed me. Now I've not had to ingest 39589 deadly doses and saved $10,097.46 in my 'Freedom Dividend' account.
I've reclaimed at least 274 days, 22 hours and 5 minutes of my life, the best part of this gift I give to myself each and every day I choose to NTAP!