Acknowledge the negative--but dwell on the positive

GoldenPeachyPie
GoldenPeachyPie

December 17th, 2002, 6:31 am #11

You couldn't do a more positive thing for yourself.

Personally, it hasn't been easy, but the solid focus, and educational tools here at Freedom have made me so much stronger, and that attitude is affecting my whole life for the better. As far as I am concerned, there are NO negatives about quitting smoking.......only TEMPORARY discomfort.

I want to thank Joel, and all here at freedom, for helping me to gain MY freedom.

Peach X

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

January 7th, 2003, 10:38 pm #12

Regardless of whether the next few minutes are the most comfortable yet or in the end prove to have been the most challenging of your entire recovery, they are 100% doable! Whichever moment does in the end prove to have been your most challenging of your recovery will likely someday be looked back upon with a deep sense of pride. As one of our members once reminded us, "it's our birthright to be free" and there's only one rule - no nicotine - Never Take Another Puff! John

michaela Bronze
michaela Bronze

February 20th, 2003, 6:41 am #13

I guess my double green victory post can go here as well:

Hi everyone,

2 month...it has been 2 month since I have quit :). A bumpy road locking back, many tears and mood swings...but clean lungs, no more ashtray breath and no more evenings in the garage. No more whistle sounds from my hurting lungs when I lay in bed...no more guilt feelings to myself and the abuse I put my body through. Yes many times the addict in me wanted to go back...there were inner struggles...times I thought perhaps I should do it "later" when I am stronger. But I am here today...2 month smoke free...happy every time I see an ad on TV about things that help you quit smoking...because I already did it:)

I feel free !!!

Michaela:)

Shinelady Gold3282003
Shinelady Gold3282003

May 14th, 2003, 9:17 pm #14

Thanks Joel,

I like to embrace the positive attitude, as well. If we could learn to smile instead of mourn , every time we crave a cigarette, we will find the job gets easier and easier. Personally, I am learning to do just as you say "acknowledge the negative and dwell on the positive".
I'm learning to love my life. Thanks Joel and everyone who make "Freedom" a great place to be. I come here to dwell on the positive effects this journey will have on my life.
sue
One month, two weeks, one day, 14 hours, 43 minutes and 30 seconds. 1864 cigarettes not smoked, saving $269.18. Life saved: 6 days, 11 hours, 20 minutes.

Toast (GOLD )
Toast (GOLD )

May 20th, 2003, 8:14 am #15

"Regardless of whether the next few minutes
are the most comfortable yet or
in the end prove to have been
the most challenging of your entire recovery,
they are 100% doable!"

OBob Gold
OBob Gold

June 20th, 2003, 5:23 am #16

Negative: Head's fuzzy, I didn't sleep well last night, and I've had several strong cravings today.

Acknowledged.

Positive: This is the temporary healing that comes with the wonderful decision I finally made. There's comfort in my future, I don't stink, and this gift I'm giving myself is going to contribute to my health and longevity. Despite some discomfort today, I haven't been forced to take my hourly poisons, and what an enormous accomplishment that is after 20 years of slavery. And, it's only going to get better!

Gr8fulGirl Silver
Gr8fulGirl Silver

June 20th, 2003, 5:29 am #17

Thank you for this one today OBob!

wagongirl
wagongirl

June 20th, 2003, 6:11 am #18

This is really good advice!! It's so simple and yet so easy to forget. Great reminder...
Negative: last night I went through craving after craving, and questioned my strength.
Positive: I made it through all of that!! Today was much better. I actually had someone tell me I smelled good! I can't remember the last time that happened! Usually, I smell like cigarettes, but not anymore. My breathing is getting better and I'm not constantly feeling guilty about having just smoked a cigarette! I can focus on other things, like arriving to school on time instead of taking every last minute to fit a cigarette in before some event.
Kimberly
I have been free from nicotine for 6 Days 9 Hours 15 Minutes 45 Seconds.
Last edited by wagongirl on March 20th, 2009, 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shinelady Gold3282003
Shinelady Gold3282003

November 24th, 2004, 9:44 pm #19

a favorite of mine. This thought helped me to get where I am today in my quit. It's a short , simple thought that is easy to grasp , but says it all. Put it together with never take another puff and you have a win win situation.
sue
One year, seven months, three weeks, five days, 15 hours, 50 minutes and 23 seconds. 24266 cigarettes not smoked, saving $3,506.25. Life saved: 12 weeks, 6 hours, 10 minutes.
Last edited by Shinelady Gold3282003 on March 20th, 2009, 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

GoldenDivamom1972
GoldenDivamom1972

April 10th, 2005, 10:07 am #20

Negative: Moody, cranky, ready to rip my fellow humans' heads off, gaining weight.

Positive: Someone at work today asked me how long it had been since I quit. I was able to proudly tell him: "Three months and almost a week!" with a big old grin on my face.

FYI, all that negative stuff (well, except for the slight weight gain, which I'm working on) was within the first week or so of quitting. While I have had my triggers and stress every day, none of it matters, because I already know that smoking will just make it worse!

Feelin' good at 3 months+,
Amy--Bronze!!

ivanochiki007
ivanochiki007

April 14th, 2005, 8:37 am #21

That is very well said and so true.
In my previous quit attempts I have been concentrating on my 'suffering', being sad about loosing something. Example, when others had a cigarette break after lunch, I would be thinking that I can't join them anymore. Every time when urge for a cigarette became strong I would listen to that and in a way make the wanting to smoke into something important.
This quit (day 8 today) has been different from the very first hour. I have conciously been extremly positive and have decided to simply ignore anything which appears negative. Because there is nothing negative about quitting this deadly ugly nasty addiction!!! By quitting smoking I can only win, short term and especially long term. Now I have acknowledged every little thing which has been good: already the first morning I didn't have that horrible taste in the mouth, the skin looks healthier already after this first week, my clothes don't smell, I can meet with nonsmoking friends without worrying about how and when to get nicotine, I can actually enjoy a movie without taking cigarette breaks, ...so on. There are so many things to be happy about - big and small. It has helped me a lot during this week to remember that.
Ivano

LisaT774
LisaT774

April 16th, 2005, 3:15 am #22

My sentiments EXACTLY!

Lisa - Free and Healing for Eighteen Days, 14 Hours and 55 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 18 Hours, by avoiding the use of 223 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $39.14.

May 30th, 2006, 7:29 am #23

You have achieved freedom from nicotine and now it's all about adjusting and learning to live without that constant nicotine fix.

That is such an incredibly positive fact.

No matter what is going on in your day always remember that you are free.

Adjusting is doable, one trigger, one crave, one day at a time.

Keep on educating your brain, keep on acknowledging your freedom.

Never stop celebrating!

Sharry
Sharry

December 14th, 2006, 4:44 am #24

Thanks to everyone involved in this site.

I am feeling very positive about this, my forever quit.

The negatives are so appalling it proves how powerful nicotine is that so many ppl continue to suffer.

I will suffer no more.

Sharon x (quit for good 4/12/06)

FreedomNicotine
FreedomNicotine

August 24th, 2009, 8:57 pm #25

dixieanny
dixieanny

August 24th, 2009, 9:16 pm #26

All we have to do is never take another puff, and BELIEVE those who climb ahead of us that it does get better and better. I for one can attest to that so try to stay on the positive road to FREEDOM!

zeddontsmoke
zeddontsmoke

December 26th, 2010, 12:11 pm #27

Thankyou Joel and everyone else who posted here

Im in my 3rd week and was struggling a little this week...not with the temptation to smoke amazingly, but with how to 'enjoy' life without a cigarette.  Just reading this has given me a new sense of hope and excitement and I look forward to viewing my next 3 weeks through a more positive lense.

Because even in the beginning you can look at each crave as a sign that your bodies healing...and that's exactly what it is. Each crave you've conquered is just another sign to your body that you aren't going to put up with the nicotine anymore...and little by little you work your way to total comfort.

Zed x
Last edited by zeddontsmoke on December 26th, 2010, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kimberlymcb
kimberlymcb

January 5th, 2012, 8:43 pm #28

I fine myself think "OK I do not like doing this any more because I would smoke while doing so" my first long drive to work I had such a negitive feeling after I did so because I felt it was so hard to do.

September 20th, 2012, 6:22 pm #29

Last edited by Joel Spitzer on November 22nd, 2013, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brenda
Brenda

February 22nd, 2016, 10:29 am #30

The longer I am nicotine free,the more positive I have become. The fog is slowly lifting and nicotine grasp on me is weakening everyday. Day 22 and still finding my way, but starting to enjoy the benifits.