“A Safer Way to Smoke?”

JohnPolito

11 Apr 2012, 12:40 #31

ImageA host of menthol related health products ranging from cough drops to muscle pain ointments can feed and fuel a false sense of health security in menthol smokers.  Truth is, menthol numbs tissues and makes scores of powerful toxins in smoke more tolerable. 

Below is a new study summary (abstract) suggesting that the risk of stroke for menthol smokers may be twice as high as for non-menthol smokers, three times higher in women menthol smokers and nearly 3.5 times higher in non-African American menthol smokers. 

Why? We don't yet know.  What we do know is that all nicotine is out of body and we move beyond peak withdrawal within 72 hours of quitting.  We also know that once we stop using nicotine that it is impossible to relapse so long as all nicotine stays on the outside.  We also know that just one puff and within seconds up to half of brain dopamine pathway receptors become occupied by nicotine.  While most who attempt cheating when quitting walk away feeling like they've gotten away with it, it won't be long before their awakened chemical dependency is again wanting or even begging for more.  

We know that within one year of quitting that risk of stroke drops to half that of a smoker, and within 5 to 15 years drops to that of a never-smoker.   There's just one rule to beginning to turn your excess risk of stroke around and letting the healing begin .... no nicotine today!

Breathe deep, hug hard, live long,

John - Gold x12

Archives of Internal Medicine - Vozoris

Research Letter

Mentholated Cigarettes and Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Diseases: A Population-Based Study

Arch Intern Med. 2012; 172:590-591.

Nicholas T. Vozoris

Cigarettes labeled as "mentholated" contain substantially higher levels of menthol than regular cigarettes, to produce a characteristic mint flavor and cooling sensation. Potential noncancer adverse health effects of added menthol to cigarettes are largely unknown. Epidemiologic data on the risks of cardiovascular and pulmonary diseases among smokers of mentholated vs nonmentholated cigarettes are extremely limited.1-2 The purpose of this study was to determine if cardiovascular and pulmonary disease risk was different between mentholated cigarette smokers and nonmentholated cigarette smokers...

Results

A total of 1286 of 5028 respondents (25.6%) usually smoked mentholated cigarettes, and 3742 of 5028 (74.4%) usually smoked nonmentholated cigarettes. After adjusting for sex, age, race, education level, total household income, body mass index, and smoking quantity and duration, mentholated cigarette smokers were found to have significantly increased odds of stroke compared with nonmentholated cigarette smokers (odds ratio [OR], 2.25; 95% CI, 1.33-3.78), and in particular women (OR, 3.28; 95% CI, 1.74-6.19) and non–African American smokers (OR, 3.48; 95% CI, 1.70-7.13) (
Table). There were no significant associations between mentholated cigarette smoking and hypertension, myocardial infarction, congestive heart failure, and COPD. After also controlling for health professional–diagnosed, self-reported hypertension, diabetes mellitus, and dyslipidemia, the odds of stroke remained significantly increased among all (OR, 2.19; 95% CI, 1.05-4.58), women (OR, 3.54; 95% CI, 1.60-7.84), and non–African American (OR, 3.02; 95% CI, 1.24-7.34) mentholated cigarette smokers vs respective nonmentholated cigarette smokers.

Comment

To my knowledge this is the first study to report that smokers of mentholated cigarettes, and in particular women and non–African Americans, have significantly increased odds of stroke compared with nonmentholated cigarette smokers. Although potential causal links cannot be established and further research is required to confirm the findings, the association between mentholated cigarette smoking and stroke is noteworthy, given that the results are based on large population-level data, with data spanning nearly a decade, and given that the relationship is independent of multiple sociodemographic, smoking behavior, and health status confounders. The mentholated cigarette– stroke association may even be underestimated because this analysis included only current smokers and not former smokers...

These results highlight the need for further review of the last legally allowed tobacco additive in North America, given that mentholated cigarettes may be placing individuals at even greater risk of potentially devastating cerebrovascular disease than regular cigarettes.

http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/conten ... /172/7/590

Last edited by JohnPolito on 11 Apr 2012, 13:14, edited 4 times in total.

Double A Ron

18 Jul 2013, 04:13 #32

I wanted to mention this because it was my main reason for returning here after quite some time.

The past while I've been seeing something that really disturbs me.  Unregulated television advertisements for "E-Cigs"
The ads claim that you can use them anywhere.
They are available to minors much more easily than conventional tobacco cigarettes.
They claim to be safe and to not affect those around the user.

Assuming, and I know I'm being very very very very generous in even daring to make this assumption, but still assuming that they are "safe", I find them very disturbing as they are still a nicotine delivery device, and they also mask the chemical with several flavours that are also kid-friendly, despite company claims that they aren't marketed toward children (sounds all too familiar).  They also have "nicotine free" flavoured cartridges, to act as an effective trojan horse and gain the potential use from non-smokers and former smokers (imagine how easy it would be to accidentally take in nicotine because you thought a flavoured cartridge had no nicotine).

Is this very disturbing topic addressed anywhere here?

Thank you for everything

Joel Spitzer

20 Mar 2016, 13:52 #34

New video based on this topic: "A safer way to smoke?"