4 Decades Of Lies! (First Post Journal)

Joel Spitzer

01 Feb 2011, 16:59 #21

Last edited by Joel Spitzer on 01 Feb 2011, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.

Joel Spitzer

01 Feb 2011, 17:00 #22

Last edited by Joel Spitzer on 01 Feb 2011, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.

IrishSoFl

05 Feb 2011, 03:29 #23

Hi Neal.  I also am a big gardener.  I have not smoked inside of the house for almost five years, so quitting while staying inside has been relatively easy.  Over the last few days I have been venturing outdoors and I have also been hit by quite a few strong cravings.  Like you, I am trying to recognize them for what they are and embracing them. 

Keep up the good work.

Kelly - One week, 8 hours, 48 minutes. 162 cigarettes not smoked, saving $52.67. Life saved: 13 hours, 30 minutes.

NoNic4Neal

09 Feb 2011, 11:21 #24

I can’t believe tonight will be a whole month without using any nicotine. I have quit smoking for a month several times before, but this is so different. My past quit attempts left me addicted to other nicotine delivery devices. Leading up to this quit I had been addicted to nicotine lozenges for over a year, I used them and smoked cigarettes constantly. When I couldn’t have a cigarette I would have a lozenge in my mouth. Occasionally I would smoke cigars, I tried the e-cigarettes, the inhalers, the gum, the patch, and I even tried oral tobacco to break up the routine. ( It was a real nicotine addicts heaven, but in reality it was ****).

Before finding this site I thought I was accomplishing something by giving up the cigarettes, but all the time I would still be on the lozenges, or some other form of nicotine. I was in a state of constant withdrawal. This time, in my first week of quitting cigarettes, I went online for support and found Why Quit.com.

After a few days of reading and watching the videos I decided to really go for it. I threw away the lozenges and stopped using all nicotine on January 9, 2011 at 11:00PM E.S.T. I downloaded a quit counter and set it to zero. Now, faster than I could have dreamed, it is at 1 month of nicotine freedom.

I originally named my first post journal “ 4 Decades Of Lies” because I have been smoking for over 40 years. The lies I was talking about was aimed at the tobacco and pharmaceutical companies, and the government for letting them do all that lying to us. After working this program for the last month I came to realize that I was doing the lying to myself for all those years. I never “liked” or “loved” smoking, cigarettes were not my friend, it was not O.K. to substitute NRT for cigarettes and think I was doing myself a big favor (it always lead me back to smoking anyway), I thought smoking was a bad habit, I told myself I wasn’t addicted, it was alright to have just one while I was trying to quit. I thought I couldn’t live without smoking, I would never be able to quit for the long haul, nicotine feedings were not my #1 priority, I could never go a whole day without wanting a cigarette, and one of my favorites - you have to die from something, why not smoking? Etc. Etc. Etc. They were all lies to keep me feeding myself nicotine.

I have learned so much on this site. I really believe that this time, I will be able to make the transition to become an ex-smoker / recovering nicotine addict once and for all. I couldn’t have come to this realization without the wisdom and support of all the veterans of this site. I have been amazed at the wisdom of the people who have come before me. It is great that you continue to motivate and support all the newbie’s like me. Whenever I think of you Guys a saying comes to my mind: ASPIRE TO INSPIRE BEFORE YOU EXPIRE. You all have INSPIRED me, eventually as I learn more, I will ASPIRE to help new members with their quits like you do, and since we’ve all quit this addiction we will not EXPIRE as soon as we would have.

At this point in my quit it really helps me to just read a little each day, and strengthen my resolve for that day to not take a single puff. My urges are now very weak and don’t come very much anymore. They are easy to handle, but I know I have to always have my guard up.

Today I got some news about a Guy I used to work with. He left the company last year. It turns out that he got diagnosed with a lesion on his lung in December 2010. He was an active smoker for many years, and he still smoked when he quit the company. He passed away in January of 2011, the cancer spread to his liver and other organs. If he was waiting to “bottom out” before quitting he only had one month of life left after he first heard the news. There but for the grace of God go I, it shows how serious we all have to take our quits, we are truly fighting for our lives.

I’m sorry to be so long winded but it is my quit, my life, my journal, and my Green anniversary. I’m very proud to be a member of this group. Keep taking it one day at a time. NTAP

YQB Neal

schmaltz

09 Feb 2011, 12:38 #25

Welcome to green , it's a GOOD feeling isn't it !
Congratulations !!!
Craig

Jefferyrw

09 Feb 2011, 14:26 #26

Great job, Neal!

It is important to recognize (as you have) where the lies really come from.  I too was a great big liar, but no longer.

We are on this journey together and I hope to look over and see you at every step.

Bronze is next, here we go....

Join me in not smoking today...NTAP!

Jeff - 1 month, 1 day nicotine free

Mandevilla

11 Feb 2011, 22:59 #27

Congratulations on GREEN Neal.  Your quit has been a triumphant story.  Keep going. 
I am 42 days quit and I with you in the journey - discovering many of the same things - through reading on this site.  I am also so grateful to the people here.  They are giving us all hope and life.

YQS
Lisa
quit 1-1-11

tagsgirl

12 Feb 2011, 04:41 #28

I am so glad you are standing tall and proud of the work you have put in, the knowledge you have taken and the resolve to pay it forward. I understand. I feel the same way. We have so much to be thankful for. The good folks here are first and foremost! WE LOVE YOU ALL! It is so nice to be in control of our lives. We never knew we weren't! LOL, but it feels so much better being free!

I am sorry about your former co-worker. Someone close to me has a sister facing radiation this month. Cancer of the lung. yes, she smoked. She did quit in the fall right before diagnosis. She must have known something was really wrong. If that is bottoming out it sounds horrible and a little too late! We will see this as the years pass, not all of us get out clean and free. Be a success story, that is all you can do. Best wishes as you celebrate and work 0n double green!!!!
Terri - free and healing since September 5th 2010

NoNic4Neal

14 Feb 2011, 21:17 #29

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Today is day 36 and I haven't been having any real problems. I have been feeling tired more than I used to, but I'm sure that will change in time. I worked in the yard again this weekend, and I didn't have any cravings. Joel was right again. I'm really building confidence and pride in my quit. No nicotine today!
Neal

Joe J free

14 Feb 2011, 22:34 #30

ImageHi Neal,

I'm a little late but wanted to congratulate you on surpassing one month of freedom form nicotine.  I was also a 40 year user who mostly inhaled the choking smoke.  I too used oral tobacco and pharmaceutical as well to 'stop smoking' - all the while not realizing that it wasn't the cigarettes but what was inside that was ailing me.  Needless to say I had quite the eye opening the day I stumbled upon whyquit and the Freedom forum.  I call it an 'A-Ha!' moment when the reality of the Cycle of Addiction in my own life made me realize both the problem and the cure.  The cycle of addiction is incessant and the only way to make it stop is to disconnect the cycle by not having that next dose.  Once the cycle is broken we begin to live clean and free naturally.  Soon enough we move away from the ever-present impact that nicotine dependency had on our lives.  Our world no longer revolves around that next dose.  We learn that there is a lot more to life than living from the inside of a pack of tobacco sticks that deliver nicotine.  Living free is the best thing we can do and it comes naturally as long as we keep our personal promise to not take another puff, no matter what, for the rest of today.

I know what you mean about being tired from working at home.  I spent most of the day yesterday removing a 3 to 6 inch sheet of ice from my driveway.  I am sore and tired today but it's a good kind of tired.  Smoking - or not - had nothing to do with it.  It will become that way for you too.Image

Becoming an ex-smoker

Joe J Free - Gold x 6 - a nicotine addict who stopped inhaling poison 6 years, 1 month, 4 days, 7 hours, 18 minutes and 41 seconds (2226 days) ago.

I've decided not to ingest 60110 deadly doses and saved $19,788.36 in my 'Freedom Dividend' account.
I've reclaimed 417 days, 10 hours and 22 minutes of my life's time, the best part of this gift I give to myself each and every day I choose to NTAP!Image