4 Decades Of Lies! (First Post Journal)

NoNic4Neal

20 Jan 2011, 19:50 #11

I'm on Day # 11 now, and everything is good. I can't say that it is a piece of cake, but it is manageable. Thanks to everyone who responded and continue to give me support, it means a lot to me. One day at a time I have been getting more optimistic about not using nicotine. I still feel tired easily and I did gain a few pounds (as expected). I have been following the suggestions in the literature and have been reversing my weight gain the last few days. I read on Why Quit and this forum when I have time, and it keeps me strong. My craves are getting smaller and only seem to last about 10 seconds now. Hope everyone has a great nicotine free day. NTAP
Neal

Jefferyrw

20 Jan 2011, 19:58 #12

Neal, you are doing great!  Just remember that it is a choice!  NTAP!

... to keep your quit going, choose to not smoke today.

Regards,
Jeff

Joe J free

25 Jan 2011, 19:26 #13

Hi Neal,

You are doing an awesome job with your recovery and the best possible thing for yourself and your long term quality of life.  Sooner than you may think possible you'll have it on cruise control and enjoying the long ride.  You still have to pay attention but it will get so much easier.  Keep the promise, wait and see.  That's what they all told me when I first decided to set myslef free.  Like the rest of the stuff you read at this site it all tells true.

Following up on your post in
Just think about something else?

Cost of my first relapse (have a calculator handy)

Keep the focus on the road ahead.  It's ok to look in the mirrors but it's focusing on what lies ahead that needs our undivided attention.

I always told myself I could choose to go back but I'd have to accept all of them if I decided to relapse and have
Just one little puff .  Well, I already tried to smoke all of them - or as many as I possibly could - and it nearly killed me.  I can assure you none is a much better deal.

Joe J Free - GOLD - Free and Healing for Six Years, Fifteen Days, 4 Hours and 11 Minutes, while recapturing 413 Days and 15 Hours of my  life's timeImage.  Not needed wanted or missed 59567 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $19,592.73.
Last edited by Joe J free on 25 Jan 2011, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.

NoNic4Neal

28 Jan 2011, 00:29 #14

Well, I have almost 18 days now. I'm starting to finally get over the lightheadedness, still having problems sleeping thru the night. I've been coughing up a lot, I guess my lungs are cleaning themselves out. I'm feeling pretty good about my quit, my freedom from nicotine, and life in general. I will not use nicotine today.
Neal

NoNic4Neal

01 Feb 2011, 16:16 #16

Update - Day 23
I really had an awakening this weekend. On Friday night I decided to have my first drink of alcohol since I quit. I had 3 beers in the safety of my house, and I did get several cue triggers (which I expected) and handled easily. On Saturday I did some outside work around the house and I was literally pounded with cue triggers (which I didn't really expect). This is the first time I did any of this work since I quit. It seems I smoked a lot when engaging in this activity because my subconscience was in overdrive. Lately during my normal days I was down to very few urges to smoke, but working in my yard I was getting plenty. Thanks to Why Quit and Freedom I understood why. I hadn't engaged in this activity since I quit, so my subconscience had to be re-programmed that smoking doesn't go with yardwork anymore. Then a light illuminated. I always wondered on previous quit attempts why I would get hit with triggers so far into my quit. It was because I was doing something I hadn't done since I quit, that I used to do while smoking. I'm sure I lost a quit or two by not knowing this. In one of Joel's videos he mentions going to a wedding or funeral well into your quit and all of a sudden your hit with urges to smoke. Since weddings don't happen all the time this is your first one since quitting. Your subconscience will remind you of each time you had a cigarette at the last wedding you went to, by giving you an urge to smoke at this one. I learned that I need to look for new activities and face each one knowing that I might encounter an urge to smoke or use nicotine. This will give me a new opportunity to tell my subconscience that we will never take another puff, dip, or chew. My knowledge of this addiction is making me powerful in my fight against it. No Nicotine Today!
Neal

Joel Spitzer

01 Feb 2011, 16:48 #17

Last edited by Joel Spitzer on 01 Feb 2011, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.

Joel Spitzer

01 Feb 2011, 16:55 #18

Hello Neal:
I attached the video above that you referred to, where I mention sporadic events like weddings and funerals. Actually, I have a few other videos that touch on the issue of the important of facing as many triggers early on in your quit to break the common associations you have with smoking, but also why it is important to reinforce your resolve every now and then to prepare for the occasional new first time situations you can find yourself encountering over time long after you quit. I am going to attach them in a series of posts here for the benefit of all who are reading your comments here. It will be beneficial for all people who read here to recognize the importance of what you realized here to help them protect their own quits over the long-term.
Last edited by Joel Spitzer on 01 Feb 2011, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.

Joel Spitzer

01 Feb 2011, 16:56 #19

Last edited by Joel Spitzer on 01 Feb 2011, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.

Joel Spitzer

01 Feb 2011, 16:57 #20

Last edited by Joel Spitzer on 01 Feb 2011, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.