4-30-02 Kim: HELLO! I'M BACK!!!!!

FreedomNicotine
FreedomNicotine

February 8th, 2009, 4:54 pm #1

Message 1 of 33 in Discussion
From: kito40 - Gold (Original Message) Sent: 4/30/2002 2:54 PM

Hello all my Freedom Friends,

Well one week after having my left lung removed I sit here typing away as usual on the computer. Recovery has been remarkable for me, I have come so far. I am still in a fair amount of pain and it especially hurts when I try to cough or laugh. I get sleepy alot too. I have one nasty gash across my back, I finally saw it yesterday. I am staying at my parents for a week before I go home, Mom is a retired nurse which is helpful. Nobody is home all day at my house anyways. I get alittle winded after going up the stairs but that will pass in time. Anyways I'm glad to be back here, must catch up on my posts.

Joel, don't worry about relasp...............it isn't going to happen. I quit not only because I had too, its also because I wanted too and did for some time. I don't have my quit meter here at my parents, so I'm not sure how long it is...........something like 1M3W

Take Care All, Glad to be Back

Kim

I don't have any of my gifs here either..........lo

FreedomNicotine
FreedomNicotine

February 8th, 2009, 4:59 pm #2

Message 2 of 33 in Discussion

Kim............. that is GREAT, GREAT, GREAT news..... welcome back....... will be careful not to try to make you laugh

Was so pleased to read Kelly's posts on your progress.....and now, even more, to read your own.

I was gonna do it... but would you do it instead: Start tomorrow's MayDay parade ???

Richard....

Message 3 of 33 in Discussion

- Bringin you back to the top - I'm sure they'll be queuing up to welcome you back ;)
Message 4 of 33 in Discussion

Welcome back, Kim

I like the way you said it hurts when you laugh . It's just so good that you have something to laugh about again

Now you ahve a new life to learn in more ways than one, Kim. As we said before you ahd your surgery, having quit will certainly aid your physical recovery. The rest is up to you, and it sounds to me that you have all the determination and courage to make your new life.

Marty
NOT A PUFF for one year, five months, : 9290 cigarettes not smoked saving £1,997.22 : 4 weeks, 4 days added to my life
Message 5 of 33 in Discussion

Hi Kim,

I cant tell you how great it is to have you back safely, we have all been thinking of you , and when your sister came and told us your op had gone well, Oh the relief was wonderful, I hope you have a speedy recovery and all I can say is welcome home, it's great to have you back.
Take real good care of yourself.

Love and Hugs

Naymor xxxx

3 weeks 6 days 23 hours 1 min

Message 6 of 33 in Discussion

Hello Kim!

So very glad to hear from you! I've been thinking about you, wondering how your recovery has been going. I'm so glad to hear you are out of the hospital, staying with your parents and taking it easy! I look forward to hearing more from you as your recovery progresses, too.

Healing thoughts and best wishes coming your way!

Melissa

11 Months 1 Week 17 Hours 2 Minutes 43 Seconds Free
6854 Less
$993.86 More
1 Mo 2 Wks 2 Days 14 Hrs 22 Mins 2 Secs Added

Message 7 of 33 in Discussion

Hey Kim - so great to hear from you and that you are recovering so well. You are one courageous woman and it is truely inspiring to see you so committed to your quit.

Heal on sister! One Day at a Time.
yqs mirigirl

Message 8 of 33 in Discussion

Welcome back Kim! What a surprise to see your post right at the top of the board when I turned my computer on this morning.

So glad to hear the news and that your recovery is obviously going well....your quit too!

yqs Ingrid

3 Months 4 Weeks 1 Day 15 Hours
Cigarettes not smoked: 5982.
Self esteem 100%
Message 9 of 33 in Discussion

I am so glad you are back. You are sounding great!

Do be easy on yourself with recovery from your surgery. I'm sure you tire easily and get sleepy. And pain has a way of wearing you down. I can identify with pain when you laugh- been there. Laugh anyway and it will get better.

Do be careful with guarding your quit. Sounds like you recognize the importance of quiting because you want to and not because you have to. Keep reminding yourself of that. Stay in touch with the message board and keep reading the stuff.

I made the mistake of celebrating multiple broken bones, multiple surgeries and long hospitalizations by smoking a cigar. Real stupid, huh. Don't lose sight of "Never take another Puff!"

You will continue to be in my prayers!

1 month 2 weeks 4 days 23 hours...

BrokenKnees
Message 10 of 33 in Discussion

Hi, Kim.

It's so nice to welcome you back! It's great to hear that your surgery went well and you're on the mend at your mom's house (somehow things always feel better when mom's around...). Take good care of yourself and keep us posted, as they say...

Cheers to you and your speedy recovery.

Chichi
Message 11 of 33 in Discussion

Welcome Back Kim,

It sure is great to hear you are doing fine and recovery is going well. I have been wondering when you would pop back up on the boards and it was actually faster than I anticipated. Continue the great progress.

Roger
Message 12 of 33 in Discussion

Hello Kim and welcome back. We got a good progress report on you a few days ago, I think the day after you went through the surgery. Seeing you up and around so soon, well at least up and around the computer, is very reassuring. I am glad you got home without facing any overwhelming smoking thoughts. Just for the record, I wasn't worried about you losing your quit when released, just that you could have had some pretty strong thoughts and bargaining and I just wanted to make sure you had your guard up and were ready for anything.

Hang in there Kim. Your healing will be much faster now and you have done the greatest lifestyle change to minimize your risk of facing any future situations--you have stopped smoking. To continue to heal and get healthier and stay healthier now simply entails knowing to never take another puff.

Joel
Message 13 of 33 in Discussion

Welcome back, Kim I want to wish you the quickest possible recovery, and a long life free from both addicion and any reoccurence. (sp?) Anyways......I thing we are all saving the funny stuff until you can laugh.

God Bless you and your sister..

BillW

Message 14 of 33 in Discussion

Kim - how wonderful to hear from you and welcome back! I send you my very best wishes for a speedy recovery. Give that sister of yours a big hug (not too tight), lol. She is a special person. Cheers from Glenys
Message 15 of 33 in Discussion

Welcome back Kim! So glad to hear from you and that your recovery is going well. Please take care of yourself and keep us posted on how your doing!!

Anna

4 Months 2 Days 19 Hours 35 Minutes 22 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 2847. Money saved: $711.94.

Message 16 of 33 in Discussion

WELCOME BACK KIM!!!

You are such a fighter!!! I just love your spirit!! Here's to a very speedy recovery! Much love and hugs, yqs,

*Candy*

5 Months 3 Weeks 1 Day 1 Hour 22 Minutes 1 Second. Cigarettes not smoked: 2076. Money saved: $467.25.

FreedomNicotine
FreedomNicotine

February 8th, 2009, 5:10 pm #3

Message 17 of 33 in Discussion

Welcome Back Kim!

I'm so happy for you that your operation went so well and that you are well on your way to recovery. You're a real trooper! Your quit is in tact. Congratulations. You're healing in so many ways!

Hugs!

Barb

Three months, one week, 19 hours, 35 minutes and 20 seconds.

Message 18 of 33 in Discussion

Winded going up stairs? You're walking up stairs already?! You are tough. I feel faint just thinking about what you went through.
Following your story has been a profound experience. Thank you for sharing it. We all know that what happened to you could have happened to any one of us. I don't think I would have handled it as well as you have.
Wishing you a speedy recovery and a long, smoke-free life. knowbutts

Message 19 of 33 in Discussion

Welcome back! It's so good to read about your recovery. Lots of us here cheering you on - not only are you strong and courageous but wise too - "I'm quitting not because I have to, but because I want to". It's an important distinction. May the healing continue.

yqf

Lorraine

Message 20 of 33 in Discussion

Thank-you all for your support.................it is greatly appreciated. Love to all,

Kim

Boy I miss my meter and gifs.....................lol

Message 21 of 33 in Discussion

Welcome Back, Kim! It's good to hear from you again. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery! They say having a good attitude helps with healing -- well, your attitude is tip-top, Kim! Smiles! and Hugs

yqs, Janet
Message 22 of 33 in Discussion

Hey Kim,Good for you!!!!!!!You have such a positive attitude,that is what is going to move your recovery along quicker!You should feel great about it!!!We're here for support anytime!!!!!Yours Truly,Betsy 5 months 3 days 2 hours and 10 minutes
Message 23 of 33 in Discussion

Dear Kim,

I'm so happy to see you up and about and posting, but even happier to know that your surgery was a success. Following your progress from your diagnosis, and prognosis and then surgery, has been a real "eye opener" for me as well as many others here at Freedom. It could have been, and who knows, still can be any one of us in your shoes.

Please keep us updated on your recovery. It is still very early and we look forward to healing with you.

again, I'm so happy to see you up and about.

Linda...a 41 year smoker and now 2 years, 4 mos free.
Message 24 of 33 in Discussion

From your postings today, I see you've got your gifs back, Kim..... lol.... goof for you.....

best wishes....

r.
Message 25 of 33 in Discussion

I am back at home now, doing very well. I have a nurse that comes everyday to change the dressing and she says she has seen alot of lung removals and that I'm doing remarkably well.
The last of the staples come out on Wednesday. I'm still a bit sore, short of breath today because of the weather I'm sure, and still need my naps here and there.............lol.

Thank-you all for you concern and well wishes, Its greatly appreciated!

[Kim's signature gif]

Message 26 of 33 in Discussion

Hello Kim - glad to see you moving along well in your recovery and posting to others along the way too, I see - you have a kind heart. Take care our quit sis - and I reckon we'll remember to

yqs mirigirl
another nicotine addict
fee and healing
Message 27 of 33 in Discussion

Hi Kim

Just wanted to poke my head in and tell you that I've been watching your progress and thinking about you. Glad to see you are back home. That will make the healing go even faster. Please, keep on letting us know how you're progressing.

It's just so darn nice to see you out here posting. Your attitude is amazing!

Have a good night and a better week. Once all the staples out, you will not hurt as much.

yqs,

Linda
Message 28 of 33 in Discussion

Hello Kim,

Not only is it great to have you back, but it is fantastic to hear how well your progressing, just you take good care of yourself and I wont say stay strong because I know you will anyway !! Seriously though it is great to hear from you. God bless.
Love and hugs
naymor xxxx
5 weeks 6 days 15 hours 25 mins
Message 29 of 33 in Discussion

Great to see you looking so well Kim - you must have great recooperative powers and stamina! I find it wonderful that you're also already taking the time to help others .
Just wanted to say it's good to see you back on board!

Ingrid
Message 30 of 33 in Discussion

Hello Kim:

I just wanted to make sure you caught this article. It was written in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution back on May 19, I just came across it.

Joel

Quitting smoking key to fighting lung cancer By DAVID WAHLBERG
Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writer

ORLANDO -- Smokers who quit live longer than those who don't, even after a lung cancer diagnosis, a new study has found.

The study, presented Saturday at the annual meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, found that twice as many lung cancer patients were alive two and five years after diagnosis if they quit smoking, and many more nonsmokers also were disease-free.

The finding, by Greg Videtic of the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston, is significant because doctors often have a hard time convincing patients to give up cigarettes after learning they have lung cancer.

Patients feel the damage is already done, or they view smoking as a stress reliever to get them through the difficult news of learning they have cancer.

"Many people have a defeatist attitude," said Dr. Carl Tahn, an oncologist with Emory University's Winship Cancer Institute. "They think, 'I already have cancer, why shouldn't I keep smoking?' . . . Studies like this give them a reason to quit. It's never too late to quit."

Tahn said he encourages all his lung cancer patients to quit smoking but only about one-third do.

Dr. Paul Scheinberg, chief of pulmonary medicine at St. Joseph's Health System in Atlanta, said he has persuaded nearly 90 percent of his lung cancer patients to abandon cigarettes.

He tells them to think of smokes as cancer food.

"If patients want to keep feeding the cancer while trying to oppose it, the feeding will probably win," Scheinberg said. "They have to get in the mind-set that the cigarette is not their best friend, as they've been accustomed to. It's a betraying friend."

Donna Belmont-Lehr, 56, of Roswell was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2000. She had smoked for nearly 40 years and had quit three times only to start again. But Bemont-Lehr hasn't had a cigarette since two weeks after learning she had cancer. She shows no signs of recurrent cancer, and she credits nicotine patches, chewing gum, big bags of suckers and a new outlook on life for helping her quit.

"It was the reality of the fact that I wasn't infallible," she said. "I don't intend to go back to smoking, but I don't say I'll never have another cigarette. I just take it day by day."

Experts say quitting smoking allows lung tissues to get healthier and chemotherapy drugs to work more effectively while enabling patients to better withstand the side effects of chemotherapy.

Message 31 of 33 in Discussion

Wow Kim - isn't it amazing that Joel found this article for you and all of us. And even more amazing that you have known instinctively the truths they talk about in this article. It would have been so easy Kim to have continued to smoke after your diagnosis - and just given up on your self - I continue to be amazed by your courage and wisdom - it is very inspiring.

There is a woman here in Australia who had a victory against one of the big tobacco companies - after she contracted cancer from smoking - it really was an incredible victory for her in the courts - but the really sad thing is that she is still smoking - and according to the doctors she hasn't got long to live. Oh I feel so sorry for her - she seems like such a lovely person - she feels proud of herself that she was able to make the point publicly that the tobacco company knew what they were doing - I guess I just feel sad that her last moments will probably be clouded by cigarette smoke. She deserves better.

You don't have to walk that path Kim and neither do I or anyone else here at Freedom. We can all live fully and smoke-free as long as we remember to never take another puff! We are truely blessed eh!?

your quit sis
mirigirl
another nicotine addict
free and healing

FreedomNicotine
FreedomNicotine

February 8th, 2009, 5:12 pm #4

Message 32 of 33 in Discussion

Thank-you Joel, a good article.

I finished a cigarette just as I was pulling into my sister's place. I went in but she wasn't home for lunch yet. My brother-in-law said Tony's (my husband) looking for you, so I called him. He says are you sitting down and I said yes..........then he says the Doctor called, your X-rays show a spot in your left lung. I was stunned, dumbfounded, couldn't believe it.

That cigarette I smoked on the way to my sister's was the last one I smoked. I knew it was cigarettes that did this to me, I just couldn't keep smoking, how could I keep damaging my body. I want to live, I'm too young to die.

I can't understand how someone could keep smoking after being diagnosed, well I do and I don't..............nicotine is a powerful, controlling, highly addictive drug.

It will not control me anymore, I'm Free in more ways than one and I plan on staying that way.

I admire you all here in your quits.................please hold on to them!

Kim

Message 33 of 33 in Discussion

Hello Kim:

You would be amazed how many people who find out that they have to quit smoking buy still don't. I often get people at clinics who are on oxygen or undergoing chemotherapy and to the amazement of all people there, are still smoking and often drop out in a day or two. When I get people who are off smoking already and then they find out that they have a problem they usually stick with their quits, for they realize that they still like not smoking more than they ever liked smoking. They stay off now because they want to even if they no longer feel like they have to. But as the above report shows--maybe they still need to stay off more than they thought. Bottom line is, for all ex-smokers concerned life will generally be better as long as they always remember to never take another puff!

Joel